• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i was just going to shape it due to the prices of avils, and yep ive seen anvils without the horns and that nimba and hofi..I like it. my first rail anvil i welded on the horn.....leave it as a lump......and later weld a horn....done.(like the body of the new anvil?)((xxxx....now i gotta go and set traps for some more bits...ya know what bait's worth these days!?))
thankyou all for the ideas. ill have the bbq ready for when you lot arrive to help with the horn, and moving it.....

Edited by Glenn

I don't know whether to think that I'm lucky or blessed. I met a man in North Carolina who was looking to pass on his whole setup to someone interested in continuing to use it. I'm in the military and haven't been able to forge much since I left Alaska, but I've got almost the perfect setup for my circumstances now. I picked up a hay budden anvil, somewhere between 200 and 300#, a post vice, a tin smith's horn (don't really know what i'm going to use that for yet) a couple of boxes full of tongs, and a sweet gas forge that after a little tuning, reaches welding heat in moments, and several hammers, flatters, hot cutters, and fullers, all for a ridiculously low price (600$), because i wanted to use it rather than part it out for antiques or set it in my yard as a planter.

I'm thrilled, and excited beyond reason. I've got a shop now. I spent some time straightening scrolls for the steel in them and forging anvil spikes to keep the thing from bouncing.

Other than working of Frosty's anvils back in Alaska, the only thing i've had to work on thus far was a 125# mallable cast iron anvil and a brake drum forge that was blown with a blow dryer. It was sufficient to straighten out a coil spring and make a decent sword blank, as well as to make countless nails and spikes for the random log construction I was doing up there, but the set up I've got now is so much nicer it's like night and day.

Now i've got to remind myself how to forge, Those skills dissapear after a few years of being out of the loop.

Anyway. Frosty asked that I post pic's so here they are:

16726.attach

16727.attach

16728.attach

16729.attach

16730.attach

16731.attach

16732.attach

16733.attach

16734.attach

16735.attach

DickyPitts, Blessed...that simple. Shoot, when I read your post my thoughts were 'all right, good for you!' Nice to know that they are to be used. I know what a 350# Fisher is sitting, have stopped to ask the owner if she would sale it to be put back into use..."no, belonged to my husband". She uses it as a paint table! Oh well.... Looks like some great tools, were there any more tools or did you get all the bs stuff?

....... a tin smith's horn (don't really know what i'm going to use that for yet) .......

I feel that generally once you have a tool you will likely find uses for it. In this case you will likely use it for stuff where the horn or heel of your anvil is too large for the project such as the tines on a fork, small bells, etc.

Now it is time to make a rack for your tongs, hammers and hardies and to mount your vise to a stand or table. :D

My buddy the auctioneer called me a couple days ago, told me he had a couple tongs and an anvil coming up, turned out to be a cast, no pritchel or hardy holes, but in fine shape, and nobody bid against me, question, on one of the legs is a number 150, is this their weight rating? I think it's a Fisher Norris. I dropped a ball bearing on it several times and the rebound seems to easily be 95%, I paid $100.00 for it, and $20.00 for the tongs! Feedback appreciated.

Fisher's are great anvils! My favorite shop anvil is a Fisher as they are QUIET but that steel face has lots of rebound.

I think you got a great deal. I often suggest to my students that they look for "damaged" anvils as you can get a great anvil at a great price that way and typical "damages" like missing horn or heel are fairly easy to work around.

DickyPitts, HB's are marked in pounds so that should be an appx 200# anvil. You may want to look into making an anvil stand where the wood goes vertically rather than horizontally as it will have less "bounce" but a 200# anvil is big enough that you won't notice it much. Looks to be in very nice shape too!

Not as hot a deal as most posts here, but not too bad. Champion 400 on CL for 80 bucks. Needs the usual maintenance, no oil in it but turns fine, no missing/broken parts found yet. It's a whole lot bigger in my 1/2 car garage compared to the Bandy blacksmith shop I took my beginner classes at. Cleaned most of the garage with a few good cranks...

P1010069.JPG

Was at a flea market and at a garage sale. Got some steel stock, claims to be stainless and was $10 for about 12 ft of 1/2 inch. The shortest piece of the 3 is chrome plate. Found a nice toolbox that was made by a person at Whirlpool for $25, I may have a prayer of becoming organized *GASP!*

The last pic is a question: This post drill is at the flea market for $35 (I left it), but is froze solid, no wiggle in anything. I'm not sure if it is complete either. Is it worth the effort to try to save it, or should I forget it?

Phil

16838.attach

16839.attach

16840.attach

as for the post drill its hard to tell if its allthere with out a pic of the other side but look at whats there looks as if the crank handle is missing and the down feed arm and pieaces are not there its a arm with a hinged little arm that pushes the top down feed wheel around and screws the shaft down i'm sure theres proper names for the pieces but i don't know them
i have one thats in great condition but never use it

Got a call from a friend of mine and he said that he had some old metal that I could have, if I wanted it. Went over there and found a piece of 3" round shaft about 24" long, several pieces of angle iron, some 1/2"X1 1/2" channel, several pieces of 1' round and a piece of 1 1/4" hex bar about 5 ft long. About 100 pounds total weight. Also picked up a piece 3" thick by 6" diameter from Stan, a couple of weeks ago. Thanks Stan. The smaller stock just added to my scr....I mean.. resource center supply!! :D

Had a phone call from a friend a while ago, the place he worked at were having a clear out and bining anything they don't use.
One of the things going was an old anvil - would I be interested if they let him have it?.......... is the pope catholic?
Anyhow he turned up with the 'old anvil' - a 152kg/3cwt Vaughns cast steel one complete with stand, no damage to the face, all the corners sharp and the paint hardley scratched, just a surface layer of rust on the face.
The anvil was free, gratis, not a dime......I owe him big time!

Sounds like you had a friend in the right place that day!!! Good to have friends that look out for things when they find out you are a blacksmith. I made a hawk out a RR spike and showed it to a few friends the next thing I knew I was brought a bucket full of spikes. I need to make my friend one now.
Gaylan