• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night a Champion #40 blower with the original stand and a box of ball peen hammers followed me home. The gears on the blower are in good shape and it turns smooth. Not much blacksmithing equipment comes up for sale in my area so I was very excited to find this blower.

14317.attach

14318.attach

14319.attach

This Henry Wright anvil followed me home from the N. Calif. Classic this weekend. It had a very bold price tag attached to it, $1220.00. I traded some iron work for it with no cash leaving my pocket. It looked as if there had never been any repairs on it, so when I got it home, I etched it in sodium bisulfate and water over night. Sure enough, it was all there. I did a little clean up on it, and the only damage is some slight pitting on the face near the horn and at the heel. Now I'll have to make a new stand for it and all new hardy tools, and it will be my new traveling anvil. It's sitting on a bigger Peter Wright anvil in the pictures.

14331.attach

14332.attach

14333.attach

14334.attach

14335.attach

Wow what a find the last henry wright that i looked at last year was really damaged and needed alot of welding. But we did save it and sold it to another blacksmith in southern Utah. But it sure is nice to find one that looks like that with no repairs.
Nice find and it always good to find a good trade once in awhile.
Gaylan

That is a very nice anvil indeed Brian, probably well worth the money you paid for it. My find is a little smaller but I was very happy to find it. For some time I have wanted a 4lb sledge hammer, but was wasn't willing to pay the $50 plus they are asking for them over here in Oz. On the weekend we went for a drive down the coast to investigate a coke supply company and went past a second hand shop, always worth a look, and came across outside a large rusty ball pein hammer head. The bloke wanted $3 for it, how could I refuse? I took it home cleaned up the faces, beveled the main face and hit it with wire wheel and bunged a new handle in. I got a new hammer with the weight I wanted, right on 4 lbs.

14434.attach

14435.attach

Edited by IanR
grammer

Nice one Ian, I envy your luck :)

I went hammer hunting today I still dont own a cross pein. :rolleyes:

Had my eye on a cheapo 3lb, I quite fancy trying a re-forge but despite two attempts to bring the the price down the guy still insisted it was a great hammer and worth more - I politely explained that hammer faces arnt supposed to mushroom.

Did pick up a reasonable 2lb straight pein - and one of those 3 legged cobblers irons, must be usefull for something.

The vise is a neon green Wilton with a 5 inch jaw. Fellow did not know what happened to the base and it was useless to him without a base, so it was offered to me. I think I can build a base (grin).

I was given a Buffalo 162H agricultural forge last week. We built new legs for it, and I've got to get a belt made and a new lever for the blower. It appears the grate is also missing in the fire pot. Can I still get one of these? I know some forge parts are still available, but not sure for which forges. I'll get a pic up soon.

Also an electric blower, I think it was a No. 3 Buff., and some tongs, including a set that has two parallel jaws about a foot wide. Pics of those will be forthcoming also.

I was given a Buffalo 162H agricultural forge last week. We built new legs for it, and I've got to get a belt made and a new lever for the blower. It appears the grate is also missing in the fire pot. Can I still get one of these? I know some forge parts are still available, but not sure for which forges. I'll get a pic up soon.

Check out centaur forge. they sell a cast replacement Tuyere for $25.

Every 6 months the local council has a "large rubbish' collection week. Each street gets a specific week to put all thier large stuff out front, and everyone that wants helps themselves, unless the council gets there first!

This time I got 2 hoovers which I hope will become 1 or 2 blowers. An end of a 55gallon drum that someone had brazed handles onto, I guess it was some type of table top thing. It's going to be a solid fuel forge. I also got a section of chassis with a tow ball on it. I cleaned up the end of one box section & use it for a hot cut, and the ball as sort of a nthing for bending stuff around. I'm sure it'll be usuful for lots of other things, but ideas fellas? Finally, I had to change an exhaust fan at work, and the old one had some ready-made legs for the forge, although they need extending. They're at the left of the photo.

I also recently replaced 2 fan pulleys, one 200mm dia. & the other 400mm dia, both dual vee. THey're cast & pretty heavy! Already used then stacked one on the other, on a milk crate, as an expediency anvil to mash a section of copper pipe into something else at work one day. I figure they'll maybe useful for bending around. Any other ideas welcome.

I think maybe I should add that I replace stuff at work because it needs to be, not becasue I want bits of it! :D

15227.attach

I wish my council did something like that. I doubt it would be allowed in the UK for health and safety reasons - groan.

I wonder if you could use the edge of the pulleys for decorative fullering?? Ive got a few too, so I will report back if I try it - if your pulleys have dished faces, could they be used for making bowls etc too?

I would like to find one of those DoAll bandsaws. We kept one around work for quite a few years after the saw "Died" just for the use of the band cutter/welder/grinder. It worked very well. Now you can buy band in bulk, various pitch and width, just cut and weld to fit different saws.

The welder is pretty easy to use, just takes some practice. Clamp the blade in each side, set heat and pull the lever to weld. (it will squeeze the blade clamps together at the same time) Make sure you anneal the blade after welded while it is still in the clamps, there should be a button on the welder for this. After welded and annealed take out of the clamps and grind the weld joint smooth.

You should be able to get bulk band at any machine shop supply or industrial supply house. I would just keep your eyes open for it to go on sale. I have also found rolls of it really cheap at business liquidation sales and shops that are going out of business.

16 hammers - mainly ball peins including a nice George Barnsley cobblers' hammer, an interesting hand forged cross pien (at last!!) a couple of lumps for possible reworking and a chipped claw hammer destined to become an adze, and a handfull of chisels/punches followed me home this weekend.

Total Cost:

Deb and I have developed a little after church tradition, have brunch and then hit some garage/yard/etc. sales. The last few weekends have been pretty disappointing so we weren't planning on hitting any today. However, on the way to brunch we passed a well done home made garage sale sign so on the way back we decided to hit this ONE sale.

Now, to diverge slightly, have you ever had a job you were dreading? Well, after drilling two holes to tap for 5/16" bolts in my recently acquired 50# LG I've been dreading drilling one for the brake pivot. What I need is a mag drill but if I could afford a mag drill . . . Nevermind. ;)

Anyway, after getting beat up pretty badly drilling the small holes I was NOT looking forward to drilling one to tap 1/2" 13!

Okay, back to the garage sale. Below is a $5 haul I made, both worked when I plugged them in though I don't know how the little buffer tool will work I think a good cleaning will clear up the burning electrical smell I get when turning it on but if it's junk. . . Oh well.

The little Craftsman drill press has already paid for itself as far as I'm concerned. It's my PoBoy magdrill as illustrated in the last pic. The hole is about 1/2" from depth and it's straight, square and clean. I stopped because it was dinner time and will finish it off tomorrow.

I am a HAPPY guy. :D

Frosty

14642.attach

14643.attach

14644.attach

Edited by Frosty