I Forge Iron

Winter 2022 challenge

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hefty, I mostly just use MIG. I have two different machines, one setup for .023 wire and one setup for .030 or .035 wire for thicker stock. For small stuff I mainly use the light duty Mig with .023 wire. I have a TIG welder but am not as used to it so really the most I use it for it tacking chain or small pieces together without filler wire, and once in a while to smooth out a mig weld.  Maybe one day I'll have the time to practice more with it and use it more with filler wire. 

Making icicle style hanger for Christmas trees.  The flat twists were actually really good for practicing tapers on thin stock.   I had my new apprentice(?) Starting on these and she learned fairly quickly.  I knocked out about 35 total between the two styles,  just need to drill holes and add ribbon to hang them.   I'm thinking of just clear coating them. 

20221128_195820.jpg

20221128_195444.jpg

Nice icicles Chad.  Clearcoat would work fine with them shined up. I have made a few ornaments that turned out darker and end up blending into the tree. I try to either polish up and clearcoat or paint them now. With all the lights and other flashy stuff on the tree the forged metal color gets lost. 

Hefty, if you get the time to practice with it you should be fine. There are many good instructional videos online to check out. I just never tend to have the time. 

Looks pretty brassy to me. 

If you have enough to play around paint one white and just clear coat the brassed one and another and see which you like more. You can never truely know what the consumer will prefer. Do them how you like them. And if you get a commission for one different you can accommodate that if you want to.  

Chad: The brass finish will show better if you don't lay it on a shiny steel surface to photograph. 

If you REALLY want a brass effect, bring the work to brazing temp, give it a touch of fluxed brazing rod and wipe it to even it out. A clean piece of cotton canvas or old jeans is what we used in metal shop. With practice you can lay braze smoothly without a wipe.

Then if you were to file or sand the edges of the twists for contrast. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Just like forging something, you get into the zone and forget everything else for a little while. 

I was happy to find very similar unplated wrenches in my bin. I still have a big pile in the bin but the smaller ones are getting tough to locate. I'll have to do some fleamarketing this spring.  And reorganize my bin so the small ones aren't on the bottom. 

On another side note, I had babbit material melt out from behind the wood handle when I welded on the legs. It was on its side on the welding table when it happened so it just poured onto the metal table and not on me. 

The last time I was at mine, they had a couple dozen little bottles of cutting fluid. Drilling hasn't been the same since.

(Actually, I need to check on the closest one. It closed last spring over embezzlement allegations, but was supposed to reopen under new management.) 

The restore here doesn't have any tools but the little junk shop down the road is always good for a few.  He has about forty filing cabinets and lockers outside with all manner of cool junk in them.  The smallest old un-plated wrench I have found has a jaw opening of 1/8" and is about 3" long.  Cute little thing.

Cool Rudolf, Das. The first pic had me going for a while, I kept trying to figure out where the ret of the regulator went, then I scrolled down and had my head slapping moment. 

I haven't been impressed with what passes for restores here and tools at 2nd hand or pawn shops are near new prices, flea markets seem to be to save people from making dump runs. Yard, garage, etc. sales are the best hunting grounds around here. 

I really miss swap meets an flea markets in the lower 48. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

We have this guy near here, i call the place Sanford and son, that sells "junk". I found an old time clock there next to a set of bull horns for an idea. I did find a top fuller, a nice hammer, and a small Columbian bench vice (4"?) there though. But it really is like walking into a real life Sanford and son. (now i got "Street Beater" in my head) He marks the price on things but does not go by that. The little vice he had marked $25, that, the hammer, fuller, and a protractor i asked what he wanted for all and he said $30. Pretty cool little place but you have to dig to find stuff or just look around. 

As a side note, anyone else get a song stuck in your head for like weeks on end? A couple weeks ago it was "Come and Get Your Love" by Redbone. Had a coworker a while back ago that would send me pictures and banana related stuff when i was walking around singing the "Banana Boat Song".