I Forge Iron

What to do with old metal files after they are candidates for the circular file?

I am not a Smith but I do lots of basic repair on lots of different things. I also frequent yard and estate sales when I have some free time on the weekends. It is amazing to me that just about every sale has a bunch of older metal files, most are trash or at least half rusted because they sat in a damp tool box on one side. I don't buy any of them unless they have some life left in them but buddies who like to forge stuff like knives seem love old files. What am I missing when I can buy pounds upon pounds of old files for pennies and often take them away for free? There is a Smithing gal around here who knows I am a cabinetmaker and she stops by a few times every year searching for my dull saw blades but she has no interest in old files. She has made me a few nice fixed blade knives from the old saw blades and wood scraps I gladly gave her.

To add to Charles' statement, the other part of "Most quality files", are the ones such as foreign files and farrier's rasps, which may be case hardened.  Not so good.  *Usually*, the older the file, the better quality tool steel.  I love old Nicholson files and some Heller's.

Thanks Charles and Arkie, I am far from knowledgeable on this subject but in my experience, most good metal files from Nicholson are made to be directional which many novices are not aware of. Once the tips get worn or folded from back filing they become dull and just don't file as they should. Back in Metal Shop in the mid 60s my instructor spent an entire class on the proper use of files and told us he would rap our knuckles if he found us using them wrong. I had a big box of old files that were just about completely worn out and I tossed them and the recyclers but wonder if I should have given them to a buddy who does play with smithing and makes some nice knives.

4 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Most quality files are tool steel. They make great material for other tools.  Be it body slappers, chisels, knife blades etc. 

a dip in aqua Regina or another etchant will often revive them as well. They won’t be as good as new but they will serviceable 

To clarify, aqua Regina is actually   Aqua regia 

Not forging, but if you grind a 45 degree bevel on the very end of the large, quality worn out files they make good bb scrapers and slag chippers, if you do much welding and cutting, that is.  Especially in tight spots.  Suggest putting a wood handle on the tang end though....:)  Sometimes we broke them in half and then ground them, less unwieldy/clumsy to use.

Period correct or not, I discovered how good they are when prepared as Nodebt and JHCC said and rarely use a brush. And they last forever. Lol, i think its funny watching smiths work harder using a butcher block brush than they do with a hammer!   

Old files can also be good for pattern welded billets or San Mai blades. I like the old black diamond NOT stamped Nicholson---1.2% Carbon and great for "juicing up" billets.

Also steels for flint and steel sets.  However a lot of smiths have little or no use for them; like racing tires the folks that use them may love a "donation", but most people don't have a need for them.