I Forge Iron

picking a touchmark/logo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks much better, MJ.  I agree that a hammer would be too much.  Now, you have to decide how you are going to strike it into your work.  You could have one made commercially (about $US 100 IIRC the last time I checked, about 5-6 years ago).  You can strike in the mountains with 4 chisel blows and have the anvil as a separate punch.  IMO it would be pretty demanding to make your own punch with this design, not impossible but not easy.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

printed out at 1/2" with and without hammer you where right its almost to small then i decided to thicken the edges and enlarge the anvil a hair more so its bolder the only thing im unsure of is the space between the anvil horn and the mountain should i increase that?

tmi9.jpg

On 5/31/2022 at 3:56 PM, M.J.Lampert said:

im unsure of is the space between the anvil horn and the mountain should i increase that?

I think so, and furthermore, you can angle the bottom of the space under the horn, like this:

MJL logo.jpg

(Although that detail might not come through in the smaller size.)

Horn to the left is (in my opinion) better as the eye starts at the point of the horn and then follows the anvil to the heel.

It follows the way we (in the US) are taught to read, left to right.

14 hours ago, Glenn said:

It follows the way we (in the US) are taught to read, left to right.

Unless we're being taught to read Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Korean, of course. 

(Or Old Hungarian runes, boustrophedon Greek, or Egyptian hieroglyphs, the latter two of which are bidirectional.)

goods left but i needed to make sure it looked fine for the general population who are not perfect:D

1 hour ago, Nodebt said:

Way better than that green M. Wish I'd chimed in on the design, though if I had it might not look so nice...

ya the green M almost reminded me of a old hospital look but i didn't have something i liked for this site before other sites have nice little items but they didn't seem to cross over to here

My great-great-grandfather had an engraved full-body portrait of his prizewinning Merino ram on all his stationery (he was one of the people who introduced the Merino sheep to Vermont in the 19th century). It would not have made a good touchmark.

3 hours ago, Glenn said:

return address for an envelope, stationary, business cards

1775411144_tmifront.jpg.239182f932fc6660e0530dfdba098a12.jpg 1012613596_tmiback.jpg.3a88e2bbf9684ced1f77d702e43762ec.jpg  1326717154_tmistamp.jpg.a553078d993dc50562fad3512fef7182.jpg

i believe this would look nice and the Wile E. Coyote automatically goes with an anvil

maybe a line on the back saying smashing coyotes since 2022 or would animal rights get after me for that?

If I had to pick my least favorite thing it'd be the foot of the anvil. It should be solid, not standing on feet like that. That's just a matter of taste though, "To each his own said the old lady as she kissed the cow." To quote my Grandmother.

It looks good, I like it.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 7 months later...

so i was looking at a map book near an area that I had been in and noticed this place thought it was an interesting place

IMG_0841.thumb.JPG.b0ad0da9dd821d877ab9206f122f6712.JPG

this got me thinking that perhaps my name choice of Two mountains Ironwork which was meant to be describing an imaginary point in my mind but i recently found that that is the translation of a town in Quebec (Deux-Montagnes) so I decided to think of a Place that holds more significance to me while still keeping the touchmark so my mind when to my grandparents ranch at the base of the Ilgachuz Range so I decided to have a look and the closest peak in that system is Tundra Mountain.

now the reason I posted all this is I'm trying to decide between Ilgachuz Range Ironwork or Tundra Mountain Blacksmithing both which turn up nothing close in web searches

tia

M.J.Lampert

ps. ilgachuz

Edited by M.J.Lampert
ps, b/c font shows l and I as same