I Forge Iron

picking a touchmark/logo

MJ, I'd go with Tundra Mountain because it is less confusing and rolls off the tongue easier.  Ilgachuz is probably a First Nation/Native Ameican word which is more of a tongue twister and unfamiliar to English speakers.  And who knows what its original meaning might be?

Also, if someone is hypersensitive to that sort of thing you could be accused of "cultural appropriation" if you use a 1st Nation name without having the appropriate genetics.

GNM

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with George with a possible exception. If your clientele will be primarily 1st. nation then perhaps a 1st. nation name  makes sense. Tundra Mountain does have a pleasant sound as might Tundra Range. 

Frosty The Lucky.

"I hear that anvil ringing; it's driving me 'round the bend.
I haven't set a drop-tongs weld since I don't know when.
Oh, I overheated my workpiece, just to watch it burn.
I'm a novice trying to make a sword; I guess I'll never learn."

-- "Folsom Prison Blacksmith"

thanks all 

George I didn't think of that, as I would've considered it Cultural Appreciation as it is recognizing a landmark, but I guess these days even if you don't offend the people its concerning someone else will be offended for them 

messing around online the closes thing I could find was a Tundra Mountain ranch in Colorado. I checked on the BC name request registry and there was 24 names coming up that started with Tundra but nothing close, for some reason if I turned it from ironwork to blacksmith or blacksmithing they turned up no similar results. also found I could end it with "Co."

thus there is in my mind now preferred ideas, though I prefer the first i am open to others ideas.

Tundra Mountain Blacksmithing 

Tundra Mountain Blacksmith Co.

M.J.Lampert

MJ, I think I'd go with Tundra Mountain Blacksmithing because you are not a large enough operation (yet) to be a "company."  You can always add "Co" later if you want to.  I'd say that you have to have employees to be a company and possibly need to be incorporated.

I will refrain from commenting on cultural appropriation or similar issues because I would REALLY be violating the terms of service and getting into political discussion.  I'll save that rant for a different time and place.  I'l just say that it is something to be aware of and that it can legitimately offend some folk and is a point of vulnerability and criticism that is best avoided.

GNM

On 1/7/2023 at 11:40 PM, M.J.Lampert said:

updated logo

Very nice!

On 1/7/2023 at 11:26 PM, George N. M. said:

a point of vulnerability and criticism that is best avoided

If only because it takes time, energy, and attention away from other aspects of your business that actually have the potential to generate profit.