I Forge Iron

TFS Anvil vs. McLellan Anvil

Hi,

I would like to purchase a blacksmith anvil.
Your comments and thoughts are most than welcome on the following two anviIs:

TFS 200lb Anvil:  Advertising link removed

McLellan 175lb Anvil:  Advertising link removed

The TFS is cast from ductile iron while the McLellan is cast from 4140. Not sure which one is better and if there is noticeable difference.
The TFS has an upsetting block.

Thanks,
Lior

SLAG  Here.

A few years ago I fancied buying a third anvil.

I did extensive research studying numerous manufacturers and their anvils that they had for sale.

T.F.S. 's information never did say, out right, what their anvils were made from. They vaguely alluded to steel but gave no details. I carefully studied all their publicly available printed information. I finally noticed an obscure. (well hidden),  statement that the body of the anvil was made from ductile iron. (with a steel top, of course)

I never did buy yet another anvil.

But I was little nonplused concerning the clever concealment of that fact. Was it deliberate or not, I will never know.

But the whole business left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Time and dental hygiene has dampened it since.

Just sayyin,

Your friendly neighborhood

SLAG   signing off. 

I need to buy a vehicle; should I buy a 15 passenger van or a dump truck or a bass boat?   Kind of hard to answer a question without knowing the details of what you need it to do!

They both are large enough to be a shop anvil;  The 30 pounds won't make much difference. (I have 2 165# anvils for my shop as such I would go with steel as well.)

Thank you all for the welcoming responses.

I moved to the states 3 months ago. I live in San Diego.
Before I relocated to US, I attended basic blacksmith workshop.
Here in SD I would like to evolve this hobby at my home.
I decided to buy new anvil. As for now these two (McLellan/TFS) are in my final list but I would be happy to receive more recommendations.
My requirements: at least 150lb, shelf, less than $1800 including shipping to SD.

Thanks,
Lior

I purchased a TFS 300 lb Smithy special about ten years ago. The face is supposed to be hardened to 52 Rockwell.  I have used some heavy stock on it over the years and the face and horn have held up just fine.  When I put a strait edge on the face its still nice and flat.  Just my two cents worth.

I've used the McLellen anvils before (John's shop is about 2 hours away and I buy coke there)

They are nice, a couple of friends have bought them. They are loud! the 4140 makes for a piercing ring that you will want to quiet if you are anywhere near neighbors.

My .02

Michael

On 5/3/2022 at 8:54 AM, Michael said:

They are loud! the 4140 makes for a piercing ring that you will want to quiet if you are anywhere near neighbors.

Thanks Michael!

This is very useful information.

I do plan to work in the garage or on the backyard, close to neighbors. Now I have doubts regarding this anvil due to your comment on the piercing ring.
How bad is it? Did you friend manage to quiet it using magnets or chains?

Thanks,
Lior

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.

Hi Lior,

My friend had his McLellen anvil on a metal stand and that was loud. He swapped over to a wooden stump and that improved the ring a lot.

He has a plan to bed the anvil in sand (30 gallon drum, filled with sand to about 6 inches from the top. Steel plate on the sand, under the anvil) but he hasn't gotten that far yet.

Please don't let my comment be your sole basis for a decision. It's a good anvil, 175 is a nice size for most work and as was said, you can quiet an anvil

Michael-with Peter Wrights on wooden stands and neighbors all around

Update:

Holland anvils are back in stock soon. I had a call with them and they are very responsive.
So now I have three options (McLellan 175lb, TFS 200lb, Holland 200lb).
Anyone here has experience with Holland Anvils? (I've found one negative review in YouTube from a guy who has complains on the quality and service, but I don't want to decide based on a single review)

Thanks,
Lior

There's one up where we've been having out affiliate meetings, its a beaut!  Works well.  Mandatory to quiet it down!!!!   Definitely a top end anvil.  I do ok with middling anvils in my shop. Of course I have been told I'm a mite cheap a time or two! (Two to the 256 power times.)

1 hour ago, Lior said:

one negative review

I watched that review and let me tell you, he was nit-picking about some very minor casting surface flaws. His beef about customer service didn't hold much water with me, especially about drilling out the pritchel hole when told by Holland anvils not to do that and wanting a free T shirt. As far as hardy holes go he wanted a piece of 1 inch square stock to drop right through, I have never seen a hardy hole that was within his demanded tolerance.

You know if you gave some people a pure gold ingot, they would complain about the weight.

Now if you want a truly unbiased review, might want to take a look at this.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/67779-holland-190lb-anvil-review-pros-and-cons-style/

If you want to see more threads about Holland anvils, do a search like this with your favorite search engine.

holland anvil site:iforgeiron.com

Edited by Irondragon ForgeClay Works
add site search

I also watched the review. That is the only negative review I have ever seen about Holland Anvils. He is nit picking details. I have two 100 year + cast anvils. Both have casting imperfections, hardy hole imperfections etc. Both are top tier anvils. If he was a half decent black smith to begin with he wouldn't of needed to drill a pritchel hole. He could of made a bolster plate and whats with wanting free merchandise like a t shirt or stickers??? Be happy you got a new top tier anvil for a decent price.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy bought the only anvil we make that does not have a prichel hole. We heard from him after he had drilled through it half way with a magnetic Milwaukee drill. If he would have contacted us before he drilled it we would have bought it back from him or advised him, do not drill the anvil. He was also upset that he did not receive a free T-shirt. Some folks may have received a T-shirt but it probably had to do with a delay or someone that stopped in our shop and we enjoyed their company. Someplace he heard that someone got a shirt and he assumed it came free with every anvil purchase, he assumed wrong. After dealing with him on some messages it was obvious that there was no good solution to the situation. That is when he started his video reviews on the anvil and our customer service. 

We appreciate everyone's support in our Holland Anvil project! 

If you do now have the discretionary funds to purchase the anvil of your choice, then use what ever anvil you have now to earn the money you need to purchase the anvil you want.  This is true for any other product you wish to purchase, tool, truck, house, land, what ever it is YOU want.  There are a couple of threads that show you how to get the money, such as Anvils, rent-to-own and After all it is just a quarter.