I Forge Iron

I'm thinking I'm done.

Fired up the forge today in an attempt to make another knife. I could not get it done today. I spent 4 hours on it. My arm would not lift the hammer anymore. I was in much better shape last year when I started. I'm going downhill fast. I don't have the stamina I had then. Today was the third time I had attempted to forge something and just could not physically keep hitting the steel with the hammer. I intend on building a power hammer and a hydraulic press but metal is xxxx near impossible for me to get. Due to my strokes I can't drive and it seems no amount of begging or pleading will convince my wife I need to go to the scrap yard. It's the same with my wood turning with her. I see a piece of wood I'd like to stop and get and tell her so and we pass it for literally months until it's gone. The frustration is getting beyond my limits to forebear. I'll end up finding someone to drive me where I want to go. But that's going to cause it's own set of problems for me. I'm so tired of asking. I'm starting to feel like wanting to do things is not worth the aggravation required to get anything done. I can't see any way to get past this point. If I hammer with my left hand soon it stops working. If I hammer with my right hand even a little I get 2 months of tennis elbow pain that is maddening. I see the rich guys doing in 5 minutes what it takes me 3 hours to pound out. They can afford power hammers and presses. It's a giant victory for me to get a bag of coal or sandpaper. I mean it literally takes weeks of effort to get. I'm just sick and tired of asking for help from any of my family. I get let down more than helped anyway. 

It's sad, something I enjoyed and wasn't too bad at is leaving me again.   Maybe someday I'll get some steel and I can weld up a press and hammer. I've been trying to get some materials to make them for months, since at least April. I have a 5 hp engine for the hammer and a 12 pound sledgehammer on a short handle. I have an old bottle jack for the press. May be a few years before I get to heat metal again. Who knows, I might find an anvil someday. Or at least a chunk of steel that won't jump up every time I hit it. 

Hondo, sorry to hear of your issues.  You can order mild steel and high carbon steel through the internet and have it delivered to your door.  Not as cheap as scrap but it does come to you.  Various blacksmith supply sites sell various knife making steels.  An advantage is that you know exactly what you are getting and how it will forge and heat treat.rather than the crap shoot of scrap.  We have all made things out of scrap (or at least I have) and then find out it is some weird alloy that won't harden or temper or has some other undesireable trait.  It is always suggested to experiment with sample of scrap steel so that you won't have an unpleasant surprise later but all or most of us have just "forged ahead" and gotten and unpleasant surprise later.

As to your problems with stamina may I suggest focusing on small blades that do not need a lot of hammer work.

Good luck.  If I was closer than 1600 miles away I'd drive you on a steel acquisition quest.  Maybe someone closer can help.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

That’s a bummer man! I always hate to here when someone is goin through a patch,

I wish I was closer we’d hop in the truck and go find a old log splitter and build you a 20 ton power press, an then drag home enough scrap wood an metal to make the neighbors complain! 

maybe like George suggested you could order mild steel an change up your projects, There’s tons of smaller lighter projects that are pretty cool that you can forge that wouldn’t take hours of hammering, that way you can still forge regularly but it won’t wear you down so fast? 

another idea that just popped In my head is you could offer to use your skills to teach people in your area smithing an wood turning an just have them bring their own stock an that way you’ll be able to do both hobbies regularly while helping someone learn, 

it would had the nice side effect of having someone there to be your muscle for heavy stuff and a striker an do all the heavy hammering for you on your projects lol! 

Hi Hondo.  I just moved to your great state and I'm not all that far away from you.  I have a lot going on right now but when I get some of my relocation issues ironed out and have some time, perhaps we could get together or something.  You say you have a scrapyard nearby?  Hmmm..... :)  I likes scrap!

Also, like TW mentioned, maybe you could teach this ole scrap metal artist a thing or two about blacksmithing/knifemaking in exchange for some help around the shop.  I like to both learn and help.

Hang in there, one never knows what the future holds in store! 

It hurts to hear your issues are getting to you. Being a TBI survivor causes me some of the same issues stroke survivors have. I can't help with mobility nor in the shop but I'm here to talk to if you wish and I UNDERSTAND. Not your particular issues maybe but living with the life changes brain damage brings I surely do.

A mistake I made was not going back to doing. I have initiation issues, I have things lined out but just don't do them. I get side tracked at the drop of an idea or thought so I have real troubles getting anything done, I can't focus. 

What's hard on those around me is how close to the surface my emotions are, I get: frustrated easily and it turns right to anger or defeat. I say things I THINK are funny and they are too often anything but. 

I know you have different issues though I'm sure we share some.

PM me we can talk. Anytime, I'll get back though it may be a day or so, I don't check my comp every day like I used to. I WILL get back though. I mean TALK, I won't try to psycho analyze you, or tell you how to do things. I'll undoubtedly have suggestions, I can't help that it's the voices talking. What I may be able to help with is ways to cope and work around some of the issues. It's an acquired skill. 

Stroke and TBI survivors are pretty numerous on Iforge and we back channel some. You're welcome to join in.

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't try the "When I nod my head; Hit It!" with your wife striking!  My wife was up at 4am last night researching something; found "an easy method" to do it, of course it takes someone doing a lot of post hole digger work...easy for her as she doesn't do post hole digging...

It sounds like you need to cultivate a forge buddy, to help strike and build stuff.

Hondo, take your time a stroke can take a long time to recover from. 

I kayak with a guy who had such a bad one he needed life support to keep him alive and his wife was told he would probably never recover. It took a few years but he fought back and now walks with a stick, kayaks, rides a recumbent bike and enjoys life. 

It sounds like you and Nodebt can help each other out too. 

Maybe think of similar things to do that dont take as much physical strength for now. Research a new hobby that is within your limitations.

Jewelry or copper forming, repousse or engraving with little hammers until you get back in shape. I even find filing to be fun some times.

Take one day at a time and find the good- its everywhere :-)

My wife's daughter and daughter's bf live up in NC.  They visit us from time-to-time.  I cannot tell you when, but the next time they come around I will ask them if they can drop off a care package from me to you.  I have a whole bunch of files that I obtained at an auction, sledges and stuff that I have more than what I need.  We messaged before, so you can message again in private.  You are two and a half hours' drive one way from me, so it would just work out best if I can get them to take a little detour on their way back home their next visit.  Be strong, stay safe and be positive.

• 2 weeks later...