I Forge Iron

See The Mantis That Ate The Earth!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly!   I see golf clubs at the scrapyard.  Been thinking of buying 3, removing the shafts and replacing with solid steel, tying a knot in them and making a glass topped table from them and seeing if a local Pro Shop takes "consignments".

I may as soon as I get my shop out of the storage unit!  And find new local sources for abandoned misfit scrap metal that nobody wants.  I wonder how a rusty scrap sculpture conglomeration on the clubhouse lawn would go over.  

I made a pickaxe for the old mantis and started on a hobo sack on a stick but never finished it.

I love everything mining and prospecting related.  I caught from my father.  I once bought an old ore cart at a welding shop and put it in my front yard as yard art.  The neighbors were not fond of it.  It soon turned into a fued.  I got some short lengths of rail with it and my mom planted flowers in it, but for some reason it inflamed them.  I thought it was pretty...

There is no accounting for taste.  I prefer rusty/ic over gaudy any day.  I welded a bunch of rr spikes and bolts together once in a kind of pyrimid shape out of boredom and on a visit my sister saw it and just had to have it.  I later visited her and it was sitting on her mantle.  She get's it...  

Nodebt, as Thomas says, out here in the West with a strong mining history ore cars are highly desired yard decorations.  Sometimes they are used as planters and sometimes filled with rocks or even real ore.  This is particularly true in old mining towns which are now ski resorts such as Aspen, Breckenridge, or Telluride, CO.

Given my geology background and the fact that I once worked as a hard rock miner, if I found one I would strongly consider hauling it home and using it decoratively.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thomas, I am always googling something after I read your posts.

Thank you much Das.  The one "claw" has a hook in it and I used to drag it to the farmer market and hang a basket of hot peppers from it.

George, I don't know how that ore cart wound up in Nebraska but that's where it stayed unfortunately.  I shipped enough unexusable rusty stuff with me the way it is.   It would have looked better with a bunch of miners tools sticking out of it and a metal sculpture miner pushing it but I don't argue with mom or disfunctional neighbors (to a point).

"Joe takes the opportunity to pull Marge into an embrace."

All's well that ends well!  Lucky dog....

Washington Monument and tanks!

I'm going to pick an Alaskan insect to do next.  According to Insect Identification For The Casual Observer, there are 504 bugs to choose from....