I Forge Iron

See The Mantis That Ate The Earth!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always wondered how it affected his melanoma risk...

That smithy in Sweden is sounding better and better, here today's forecast is (degF) 101, tomorrow's 102, Sunday's 104, then the cool wave hits and it's just 99, 99, 99, 99,  then back to 103, 102,...  And this is *cool* compared to the folks to the west of us in AZ and CA!

Moving stuff is always an issue.  I tell folks who want to move stuff around in my shop that "my homeowners insurance requires me to take anyone who injures themselves in my shop and bury them in a shallow grave in the desert. It does not; however, require me to check if they are dead first..."   (I've found that humour tends to make folks *think* about things more than just a "No don't do that!" does.)

Defining things from context like I do I assumed hoover hogs were armadillos but was left wondering at the origin of the name. Etymology is a passion of mine. Sooo, I looked it up and it has nothing to do with how close they carry their shells to the ground on hidden little feet! I got the origin of the term as a dig at Pres. Hoover's "chicken in every pot" statement, reading the snippets in the search hits.

The title of this website caught my interest enough to read the article. 

http://www.eattheweeds.com/tag/hoover-hogs/

No Leprosy except maybe from contact in Mexico or further south. Interesting article, Hoover hogs jumping straight up 2'-6' when surprised causing a high road crossing mortality rate gave me an idea of a league game at least the equal of Hockey. Every contestant places their Hoover hog, wearing team colors and sponsor decals of course, in an arena. Each Hoover hog is implanted with a precision tracking chip which shows precise 3D position. Then the official shouts BOO over the PA system and the Highest Hoover Hog Hop WINS! We'll call it the 4H games! PM me and I'll supply you with information for buying into Hoover Hog Hop the league. :)

Then I got to the recipes. Mmmmm.

As a final note, yellow jackets are a favorite hoover hog food. All you allergic to stings folks might consider coaxing a couple mating pairs of hoover hogs into your neighborhood. Don't get carries away, they're prolific breeders. Maybe consider opening a BBQ place.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a great site, thanks for the link.  You forgot to mention the Charango, a ukulele-like instrument, tradtionally made from an armadillo shell.  I bet Israel Kamakawiwo’ole could make one sing. 

Anything that eats yellow jackets is a friend of mine.  I wonder if there is an advocacy group for them.... I may start a herd.   Who cares how they proliferate as long as it does not get traced back to me.  I wonder if they have a taste for fire ants as well....   I'm in on the Hog Hop provided nobody gets hurt!

Vulcans Grill would be the perfect place for an armadillo recipe.

I thought you'd like the yellow jacket reference, yes they eat ants, about 200lbs a year for an average hoover hog. There should already be armadillos in NC, they're all up and down the east coast. Evidently they live trap easily so bringing more into your area shouldn't be hard. 

Good point about potential injuries at a Hoover Hog Hop! The refs will have to wear hard hats and black and white banded shirts! We'll need a crew of guys to retrieve refs knocked unconscious by a falling Hoover Hog, they're omnivorous and have a real nose for carrion so an unconscious person on the hopping field could get swarmed and eaten! :o

That would probably lower the market value for BBQ. . . Probably.:wacko:

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay, I'll have to find a copy of "Alas Babylon" I don't remember anything about armadillos. I don't know why not it's only been 20 or 30 years. Were there recipes?

Being able to smile on the job makes work a good thing. Unfortunately you get all kinds, sometimes the bad apples are so strong it makes everybody miserable. However if there are two unpleasant types you can sometimes get them to take care of each other with a little redirection. 

Say you have a permanently angry anti-social type, any crew over 3 has one. If you're lucky there is a busy body know it all type too. If you can put your own ethics on a shelf in the name of the good of all, start pranking the angry one and making it look like the busy body is doing it. 

Am I evil or what?

Frosty The Lucky.

In Alas Babylon it occurs during the hot summer when food runs low.  The "boys" go to hunt armadillos with a spear  at night.  The protagonist is away on a trip to find salt and when he comes back there are a few HUGE fish in the sink and a plate of fried meat on the counter...

Good to know that leprosy isn't an issue!  (I haven't seen any armadillos out here though.)

I have the feeling you're read it a LOT more recently than I have. I don't recall a salt hunt nor big fish. I'll start looking for my copy or maybe it's a freebie on Amazon prime audio.

I think the species of hoover hog in your area hides under rocks and are known as armagila. 

Frosty The Lucky.

He's probably thinking of the "Armada Hidalgo"  a strange sort of Irishman that didn't speak Irish, or English for that matter; but was known for their swimming abilities.

I reread "Alas Babylon" just a decade ago and have discussed it with other folks fairly regularly over the years.  (And I know exactly what shelf it's on in my study!)

Actually, I just ordered the book.  Reading the reviews and the plot, it may keep me up at night...  My last good fiction read was "Atlas Shrugged" but it generaly put me to sleep.  

If Armada Hidalgo was a consummate swimmer, what's he doing living under a rock in the desert?  Only Ole Frosty may know.

The armagila is a reference to NM's little edible found under boulders in the desert. Yes I combined armadillo and gila monster for fun. :rolleyes: 

Armada HIdalgo is a whole different sidetrack! Just the Wiki was amazing, talk about gift of the gab!

He had a most excellently palatial stack of rocks in which to live Scott, more than one in fact.

Frosty The Lucky.

Combination:  Hidalgo as a Spanish gentleman and the wreck of many ships from the Spanish Armada off the coast of Ireland and the possible inclusion of some Spanish genes in the local population afterwards. (Could anything increase the likelihood of concealed Irish help more than the English mandating the opposite?)

May I direct your wiki search to "The Spanish Armada in Ireland".  (I believe that National Geographic magazine had articles on diving on those wrecks as well.)

The confabulation I claim is all my own from my heat dizzied gray alien matter!

That reference went right over my head, I thought you were talking about the: Hispanic, English, Irish, Scottish, character who engaged in robbery, gun fights, killed a (deputy I think), moved all over the SW and was elected a state governor and more interesting things. 

I completely missed a connection between armadillos and the Spanish armada, I just wasn't thinking. It's pretty obvious now you spell it out.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the direction to the "Spanish Armada in Ireland".   Quite an interesting bit of history, it will take some digesting....  Seems like a doomed undertaking but I have not read the whole thing.  Things I have never learned about.  

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

engaged in robbery, gun fights, killed a (deputy I think), moved all over the SW and was elected a state governor and more interesting things. 

You left out dynamiting trestles and wanton stomping on bugs.