I Forge Iron

See The Mantis That Ate The Earth!

Probably take a while to collect enough scrap to make a mosquito even if you don't scale it up. We have some large dragon flies but I can't think of anything particularly cool. Potato bug?

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember "The Deadly Mantis; saw it in the 1960's though.

My neighbors raise horses and so they have a steady supply of manure.  I have permission to take my truck over and get as much as I want where they dump it out in the desert. I shudder to think of the fire that their dumping grounds would support, years of burning manure smoke...

Hi Rojo, thanks.  Giving them a personality is fun and challenging.  Usually mine turn out with a suprised, shocked or "I want to eat you" look about them. :D  Idk why...

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Potato bug?

The Afflicted Dagger Moth sounds cool but is kind of blah looking.  I think a Scarites Ground Beetle might be fun.  It has pincers...

I googled burning horse manure and ST. Albans, W.Va. had a smouldering manure pile.  They said it spontaneously combusted.  Haha, the owner said it could be worse.  Other manures apparantley ARE more pungent when burning.  I have heard of burning buffaloo chips but I wouldn't eat a marshmellow toasted over one.

A scarites ground beetle is gnarly enough to make a cool sculpture. Years ago we had a dinosaur exhibit that lasted about 10 days including lectures by some noted paleontologists, John Horner being foremost. I LOVED it repeatedly. Ours was the last time the dinosaur replicas were displayed, they were worn out and would be disposed of. None were for sale to the public. <sigh>

I REALLY wanted to make a large raptor, would've been a Utah raptor and animated it so the head would turn and dip, the jaws would work just enough to show the teeth and the eyes track movement. 

I figured setting it up in my front yard would keep the door to door peddlers from knocking on the door. It's just look like a sculpture until someone knocked, then it'd turn and "look" at them, maybe make sniffing sounds.

I'm thinking a giant scarites beetle could be animated in the same way. Maybe spread it's wings and clack its mandibles. Just think of having it handing out Halloween candy! Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

39 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I'm thinking a giant scarites beetle could be animated in the same way. Maybe spread it's wings and clack its mandibles. Just think of having it handing out Halloween candy! Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

with the bowl in-between the mandibles;)

M.J.Lampert

How can it clack it's mandibles with a jar of candy in them?  :D  If it's Halloween, how about an electric arc traveling up it's anteneas like in the old mad scientist's lab movies.  The arc has a name but I just can't think of it.

I tried to animate a turtle sculpture once.  It did not go well.  Cool concept though. 

A Jacob's Ladder! It might be a bit dicey having that much current close to people coming to take candy from it. But for a sculpture people can't get too close to it'd be a real show!

I was thinking the beetle would hold the candy in a hanging basket, maybe a jackolantern, from one pincer while clacking it's mandibles above. 

Ooh OOH! Have a couple of those plasma balls for eyes! The Cosmic Scarite Ungrounded Beetle!

Frosty The Lucky.

Can't beat the combination of caustic chemicals and steam and I like the turret concept.  Maybe it could even be made to fly.  It worked for the V1!  From the site:

"Nazi Germany’s V1 Flying Bomb, nicknamed the ‘Doodlebug’, was powered by pulse combustion, similar to that of the bombardier beetle"

yes indead though the beetle uses it more to defend itsself 

i just had another idea have water in the turret so when someone gets to close the turret comes round and sprays them

boy o boy and thers still mor on the beetle to plan

M.j.Lampert

With a mobile turret that sprays water it could water the lawn when not defending itself. 

Oh yeah I remember my carbide cannon and the days a kid could buy a can of calcium carbide at any hardware store. I THINK it was in common use for marker lamps on thing like road barricades, I know miner's lamps weren't a thing where I lived. 

How to work carbide cannons into a sculpture? Shoot candy to trick or treaters?

Frosty The Lucky.

I've known how little I really know for I don't know how long, most of my life I think though I hid it better till getting called started hurting. I like it here because IFI supplies such great fertilizer for the imagination . 

A lawn ornament I never built is the shaggy dog sprinkler, hook up the hose and it shakes as it sprays water. Maybe make it walk so it gets the whole lawn. 

I like a popcorn canon. How about the turret rear end spraying cotton candy on anybody who gets close?

I'm behind right now, I had to run some errands. My imagination should be back up to speed before long.

Frosty The Lucky.