I Forge Iron

The Does and Don'ts of using an angle grinder...

Mod30

Tortilla press on the LG eh?  I like it. Screw press to make sauce.

I've seen videos of asians beating green stuff in a big bowl with a big mallet and a lead (baker/chef)? like the main smith calling and turning the (dough)? Was fun to watch. They had great coordination. 

I recomend Not cutting/ carving pumpkins with a chainsaw. I carved a pumpkin with a chainsaw once and it was a Very messy operation. I'd imagine cutting anything with a lot of moisture in it to be about as bad. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chainsaws are good for cutting: hot dogs, baloney, salami, onions pickles, etc. The trick is catching the sawdust, it makes a wonderful sandwich spread.  Deviled kerfwich spread.:wub:  Mmmmmm.

Das: You haven't imagined chainsaw messiness until you've used one to butcher a moose.

Frosty The Lucky.

Power washing is like another day in the rain forest to a Stihl. Just be sure to flush and replace the oil with veggy oil!

In the woods you squirt some Dawn in a tub of hot water and run the saw chain in the water. Take the covers off and brush it out. The sawdust in the nooks and crannies keeps bodily fluids from penetrating too far. Just don't let it dry on

Frosty The Lucky.!

• 8 months later...

DO NOT cut wit used grinder disc, you can for sure some small stuff, but it get in trouble you and your grinder.

Better is to use hacksaw then if you have to cut some rod for example.

• 4 months later...

I may have missed it going through the remarks, however think it should be tossed out here again. 

Most of my tools are not new, fresh or have the latest safeguards. And I gonna fess up here, have defeated most presented on the device. Having said that, the angle grinder is right up their with the chainsaw concerning dangers.

I meander, the older angle grinders came with a thumb switch which allowed turn on, and thumb then could go do other things as in help hold the device. I have one that has developed a mind of its own. You know where I am going with this. Yep, there have been times it will self start, if laid with disc facing up.  I still use it, but watch it like a red-headed step child. Several of the "newish" ones, requires thumb held activation (constant hold)mentioned in this thread. 

To expound upon the day, received latest chainsaw acquisition, a battery powered 10" Ryobi which brings the total up to 4. I presented said Ryobi (still in the box) to wife and told her it was her 40th wedding anniversary present. Her response was not what I had hoped for. Several days ago (actual date of ann) did get pleasant reaction when presented wife with 6.5 ft collapsible fishing kit complete with bag. I don't want you guys to think I am total loss.

As an aside, one of the newish angle grinders (slower RPM) has wire wheel mounted, I left the guard on that one. I can just imagine having to pull piece of steel out of my hootus at an inopportune time. 

I have always approached any power tool with respect and an appropriate amount of fear in my heart.  Anything from a little battery driven screwdriver up to a large chainsaw can take hunks out of you and spill the red stuff inside.  I am always aware of which way things are turning and where a guard should be positioned.  You should not be afraid of a tool but you have to respect it and know how things can go wrong and avoid compancency and casualness no matter how many times and years you have used a tool.

About all modern medicine can do is stop the bleeding.  Anything that has been cut off , if it is reattached, is just a place holder and will never have much functionality.

I have never wanted to test how effective those modern (and expensive) table saws with moisture sensitive brakes on the blade really are.  I have seen the demonstrations using a hot dog but I still wouldn't put a body part in the place of the hot dog.

There is an old experession that the most dangerous people to work around are the newbies, becuae they are inexperienced and ignorant of dangers, and the old timers because they have become too casual about risks because they have been lucky and made it this far without a serious problem.

"Be careful" is not just a warning, it is a way of life and how to succeed at the craft.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Picking wires out of your hide is why I wear my blacksmith apron when using a right angle grinder with a wire cup/wheel. I can stay out of the plane of rotation of a bench mounted wheel but not an angle grinder.

Having stray wires removed isn't the REALLY exciting bad thing a wire wheel or buff does. Get one tangled in your clothes, hair or body parts and they turn really unpleasant.

Road rash ain't so bad.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 10/8/2022 at 5:01 PM, Frosty said:

Frosty, Am guilty of not wearing an apron, and going to try to work smarter, at least when I think of it. 

Road rash ain't so bad.

Have not been there, nor do I want to find out on that one. Did get my feelers hurt recently when moving a fridge from upstairs apartment to the main house.  Got it down ok, but forgot (uneven ground) and exited concrete at an angle with about a 3" drop off on one wheel. The fridge won and I went sailing. Did massage nose quite well along the way, and when all dust settled just sat a bit and pondered it all.  

It's funny using the angle grinder and wire brush is about the only time I wear it though seeing as I'm taking up knapping stone tools I'll be wearing it to keep sharper than a razor chips out of my pants and legs. 

Probably the most important safety rule for using power tools next to eye protection is NO LOOSE CLOTHING!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 year later...

Uh, Nat. I don't know how your terminology addresses this but most places I know of call the side of a grinding disk that does the grinding the "Face". So turning it face up would be using the wrong side of the disk. 

Or were you saying it is safer to grind with the Face?

You made two statements that seem contradictory from here.

Frosty The Lucky.

I read it differently than you, I thought he meant the whole grinder when not in use. Lay it on the table face up, not down.  If you plug the thing in while it is face down and the switch is on, your grinder will run across the room.

Lay it face up when not in use or before plugging it in.

This is a real issue with mine which I will replace soon.  The switch sometimes sticks and is on when I didn't know it was on. It can be quite a surprise when I plug it in.

Absolutely Brian, anybody in my shop setting an angle grinder down blade down WILL get yelled at, do it a second time and I'll 86 them. ON THE SPOT. There's a reason the "feet" are on the back of the case.

It's entirely possible I misinterpreted what Nat meant, it's happened before and will again. As soon as he logs back on we'll get straight. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2021 at 2:21 PM, Mod30 said:

Some of my co workers like gloves.  I don't personally as I prefer a better grip.  

This can't be overemphasized. In thirty-eight years running angle grinders, I tried using gloves just one time, and still have the scar to remember how bad an idea that was.