I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

The hairpins are a bit large for anyone with fine hair, so I will be making smaller ones, too.  The figure-8s are made of 3/16" round bar and there's not actually a lot of material there.  The pins are a lot chunkier than I wanted to make, and I might make some finer ones.

I made a similar pin for my wife (with much more delicate pin) but with about an inch less of starting bar, and it works well in her fine hair.  My daughter, who has really thick hair --- and a lot of it --- uses one even bigger than these.

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TommyVee said:

Have been busy trying to make stuff to display at the NMABA demo at the New Mexico State Fair in a few weeks

looks great! I'm also wanting to sell/work at the stand. Have they found anyone to run the stand yet? I'm trying to find someone to contact.

There was a signup for the fair at the last NMABA meeting, I put myself down for helping with setup and at least a few days during the fair itself.  I do not recall who it was who was collecting names and phone numbers, and I am assuming they'll call me when the time comes to help with setup.  Or at least I hope so, because I didn't take anyone else's number down to hunt down info. 

If you weren't at the last NMABA meeting and didn't sign up already, you might just drop a line to a board member or two and let them know you're interested.

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Finished my fancy hoof knife. 

Ooh, fancy!

So, I remade my texturing tools:

IMG_7350.thumb.jpeg.3ef75dcf96ecba75bdd39e33c2aae23d.jpeg

Added about 12” to the height of my chasing stand:

IMG_7351.thumb.jpeg.327591f3696bff5181383f8b355945df.jpeg

Reset the trident in the pitch and left it on the cold blast of my industrial fan at full force:

IMG_7352.thumb.jpeg.e7e58e6b3d8452e87c2dd54a848c121e.jpeg

And tightened up the details:

IMG_7355.thumb.jpeg.c80b0f7815cc6733cadb78e67c901f88.jpeg

Not perfect, but I’m much happier. On to the next practice piece!

Looks great John!

I've been all over the place: set some mokume welds then lost interest. Thought I finally was able to set the welds on a tomahawk (this is probably my 5th attempt) but nope, it's coming apart. Got frustrated with a short sword project. Got distracted and burnt the end off a small knife that was supposed to be a present. All in all, pretty unproductive. Just feeling a bit burnt out, and I get lonely when I forge by myself.

I plan on going to quadstate this year, hoping that meeting some folks and seeing peoples work will help reignite some of that spark and get me back in the groove.

I hear you on the shop burn out, I don't spend much time at the anvil anymore but enjoy helping the newbies in the club get started, etc. 

Maybe some day I'll get to attend Quadstate, I sure hope we can work it into cruising the lower 48 in the RV. IF we can afford to that is. I'd love to met a lot of folks face to face, I was going to counter Thomas's lederhosen and Hawaiian shirt with a top hat and some sort of snowman accoutrement.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm still hoping to get to Quad-State this year (I've preregistered and reserved a hotel room, but I might be needed in the yarn shop), and I'd be happy to meet up and chat.

One of the best things I've found for dealing with burnout is to take some time to clean and reorganize the shop. Something about putting my brain into a different frame of mind for a little while can sometimes free up the part of my brain that's stuck and worrying, so that the creative ideas can start flowing again. Then, when I'm ready to jump back in, the shop's already clean!

Cleaning as zen. Put your self in a different state of consciousness by occupying it with mundane tasks is like sleeping on a problem, idea, etc. Smithing does that for me once I'm in the zone. That takes mundane projects or processes say making a number of "matching" coat hooks, nails are good, etc. Your eyes and conscious mind meld with the making and let the rest of your brain work things out without distractions. 

Frosty The Lucky.  

I promised my wife I wouldn't work outside until the heat index was under 100.

So I'm cleaning the workbench in the basement. It's not zen, but I'm making a bit of progress anyway. I get overwhelmed with big tasks like this so my goal is to work on it at least an hour each evening. Whatever I end up accomplishing will be better than nothing, lol 

Tonight I mostly got rid of all the trash and put similar things together. A few things were moved to the tool shelf which will also need to be dealt with soon. 

Chimaera, I will be there as well. The wife is coming on Friday but i will be there myself on Saturday. I live about 20 mins from Troy so that is why the wife will only be there on Friday.

Which also i am not but 45 minutes out of Cinci. If you are ever up near Fairborn, WPAFB, give me a holler. Or anyone else for that matter. My shop is small though but all are welcome. 

I do more and better work when i am alone though. I get distracted from working on something to talking to the person there. Most times someone comes over we end up on the porch flappin our jaws more than working. 

16 hours ago, Chimaera said:

All in all, pretty unproductive. Just feeling a bit burnt out, and I get lonely when I forge by myself.

will help reignite some of that spark and get me back in the groove.

I've always forged solo.  I find when exposed to a group I'm less productive and spend more time talking vs real forging. 

For some the social aspect is huge part of it.  

When I'm feeling humdrum about a project it's usually because I am experiencing a lack of skill. Yes, even after all this time I still experience problem areas. 

For me it's usually because I don't forge enough.  So a project will come up like making welded hinges and the first 1 or 5 won't be great. 

I used to get disgusted and throw it in scrap or would say I'll fix it later. 

I learned if the first one is not what I'm looking for that I need to practice that one step that's leaving the rest of the project lack luster. 

So will pick up a  piece of stock and just practice as an example a clean shoulder, or a better weld on a hinge barrel.

It doesn't matter what the item is. I just focus on that one skill.  The blah, turns to Wow, and the rest of the project and my skills benefit. Helps reignite. 

It takes me 5 or 7 hinge barrel welds now nearly Everytime I make a pair. 

My awe comes each time I hit the metal and it moves. .

There is so much video content on metal working now it's hard to believe just a few sort years ago the selection was thin. 

By the way. It's ok to explore a subject your interested in a and then put it on the side. 

Finding that thing that is interesting to the individual and creates desire to do is what's important. 

The things that drive me: consistency, trouble shooting, and seeing things that I could do better.  Also limiting outside tool use to make things easier. Grinding vs forging, drilling vs punching. 

I really like to use the main blacksmith kit. Anvil, hammer, forge, vise. 

That's just what I enjoy doing and helps keep me motivated. 

As a side note. Weather seems to play in more as I've got older. Go figure. 

Well its been a busy 3 days. I work 60 to 70 hours a week in IT as my day job so getting all this done this week was very satisfying. 

cold stamped my makers mark on this paring knife commission. This one is 120(ish) layers of 1084 and 15n20 steel. I dont do a lot of cold stamping but man the mark just comes out SO crispy and its much easier to align when its not 1850F

Additionally, got a few knives hardened and tempered (3 from old files and one from 1084) and worked on some samples / options for finial choices on things like firepokers, BBQ accessories, coal forge tools, etc for clients to chose from. Going to make a sample board next week. 

image.png

20230817_115153.jpg

20230822_135516.jpg

20230822_125106.jpg

20230817_161818.jpg

So, being stuck in the house with a bout of COVID, I decided to pass some of the time by polishing up some more chasing and repoussé tools. 
IMG_7365.thumb.jpeg.85c0da431eefcd5aed23c555c2621c1a.jpeg

Went through a lot of wet/dry sandpaper — up to 1500 grit — and a fair few surgical gloves. 

I was actually on the road last week myself, which meant I had to contact everyone I’d met with, to let them know I had tested positive. I just hope I didn’t infect anyone on any of the planes between here, Idaho, and South Dakota.

Bummer John. Looks like Covid vaccines may become a yearly thing like a flu vaccine. Deb and I were planning on getting our yearly shots this coming weekend anyway. 

Happily the rise in covid cases doesn't seem to be as sharp as originally, hopefully our immune systems will specialize against it enough to reduce it to summer cold status.

Get well quick John and suffer not while kicking the bad bug.

Frosty The Lucky.