I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Frosty, this is an obscure fact that you will probably enjoy:  Carabiner is an old military term and is related to "carbine."  Cavalrymen who were armed with carbines (as opposed to pistols and sabers) carried them on diagonal leather bands over their left shoulders with the carbine attached to a snap link at the right hip.  You sometimes see old cavalry carbines with a bar on the left side of the stock, opposite the lock, for attachment to the snap link.  This is common on American Civil War era carbines.

GNM

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You've hit it in the nose George, I sat there for a couple minutes trying to visualize how that worked. The carbine rests across the chest not the back? I'm not finding much online. . . Yet.

Thanks, I even own an M1 Carbine but my Sister has it in California and darned if I can remember how the butt end of the sling attaches.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, the WW2 M1 carbine has sling attachments under the stock and fore end, just like the M1 Garand.  Use of a carabiner attachment bar fell out of use once carbines weren't for the sole use of the cavalry.

The cavalry carbine attached at the hip.  Sometimes the muzzle was in a boot attached to the saddle to keep it from flopping around while riding.  The muzzle was in front of the right knee and the butt was behind the right elbow, more or less.  Since these were often single shot weapons the sling around the torso helped keep the weapon in place while reloading it.  

AFAIK these began being used during the Napoleanic wars up through the ACW, more or less.

The M1873 .45-70 carbine had a bar and ring on the left side for use in this manner.  The M1892 Krag-Jorgensen also had a similar provision.  IIRC, the Krag was the last carbine generally used by the US Army until the WW2 M1 carbine.

GNM

I sort of gave up finding anything about how carbines were carried on horseback, there's a LOT about the troops who carried them but not much else and I get lost in the rabbit warren looking. 

Dad and I both had saddle scabbards but I never found them much use with a rifle, it was almost faster to dismount before drawing, whether hung in front of or behind the leg. Behind the leg, left or right made mounting and dismounting a challenge. My M1 carbine would've been easier to draw if the charging lever didn't act almost like a barb making it a two handed process. 

On the couple occasions Dad and I participated in Javelina pig hunts it was easier and more practical to carry it between my legs and the saddle bow/pommel and steady it with my right hand. Banjo was wider than a M1 carbine is long so it never snagged even in heavy brush where is where the javelina tended to stay. 

For riding distances I tied it in with the saddle ties sewn/riveted just below the pommel. Dad carried the 30 30 Winchester in a saddle scabbard ahead of his right leg but we didn't see a single Javelina to thin either hunt so I don't know if drawing his rifle was a problem.

I don't regret never going into battle and missing out on the official methods.

Frosty The Lucky.

Er, not that it's really on topic, but the M1 carbine doesn't have a sling attachment under the stock like the M1 Garand.  The fore-end sling swivels are close to the same, but not the stock end.

The stock of the M1 carbine is slotted for an oiler, and the sling runs through the slot and around the oiler to hold it in position.

In the photos below, the lower stock is the M1 Garand and the upper is the M1 Carbine.

PXL_20220723_195228889_reduced.jpg

PXL_20220723_195319841_reduced.jpg

Thanks Tommy, Randy. Oiler, as in used to oil the rifle AND keep the sling attached? 

Nice looking hanger John, it'll look good on whatever wall the Missus finally decides needs one. Making another for the bathroom is no problem, Eh?:)

Frosty The Lucky.

Well Done! 

It was cloudy and coolish today so I fired up the gasser and withy a squirrel cage fan blowing on my back, (had to put baffles on the burners...), I finished off a couple of rasptlesnakes for the State Fair and worked on a couple of chuck wagon cooking sets.

Continued playing with form. 

6762EFAA-85F3-42DD-A856-952E958FF63A.jpeg

216828B0-5EDD-4C3B-8F59-1064015B4926.jpeg

And discovered that this beastie was very good for raising the corners. I’d been planning to make it into something else, but now I think I’ll clean it up and make it mountable in my portable hole. 

FB487D57-A478-44D2-BE1D-BE1DA48C37E4.jpeg

Nice anvil Tim. 

Good work John. The bowl looks neat and that stake oughta work well. 

I didn't intend for it to look like spider man but it is cleaned up and done. 

I was out of/or couldn't find black paint so I used some blue I had. Might repaint it down the road but for now it is rust and gunk free and usable. Now to mount it. 

20220724_211318.thumb.jpg.b2151d82418db0dba10834dfdfdffab7.jpg

20220724_211330.thumb.jpg.d2e433e80b7e8e8e63f461a90d55516b.jpg

53 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

Tim, if you don't mind saying, what did you have to pay for it?

GNM

Hi George I ended up paying $1400. I'm not sure what something like this would cost in your area, but they are all expensive here. I was looking at a new 200 lb anvil and they are about $2300 and over $200 to get it shipped.

Rojo that's a pretty cool little person.  I hope I can do that quality of work o e day.

Hey Tim,

That anvil is similar to this one I was watching in an Oregon online auction last month. The day the bidding started I visited the auction yard to view some things I was interested in. Maybe 3 hours after the auction started (think it was a 7 day auction) I was kinda shocked that this anvil was already up to $1000.00.

thedallesauctionanvil.jpg