• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For once as much as I love your work Alexandre, I love that fireplace and room more. 

I'm also happy to see I was right about thinking the sconces mounted on log posts. I didn't mention it as you might have planned on flattening them to fit whatever wall they were to go on. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been thinking about different ways to make a punch holder. It had to be simple yet able to hold a punch securely. After several aborted attempts, I came up with this design. I welded two pieces of interlocking angle iron on the ends of a length of bent 1" flat bar. I squared up a slice of pipe for the keeper. It will hold anything from 1/4" to 3/4", round or hex.20210801_125940.thumb.jpg.86219f9fc9b4b752e04436e8bb4800f9.jpg

20210801_130003.thumb.jpg.b5a678be47b4cfa40c7c741734c59005.jpg

20210801_130058.thumb.jpg.e87af5259148aa15b3718bb6834c6414.jpg

While I haven't made a pair of punch tongs I have held punches in regular tongs but with the rivet on the far side.

I've never gotten around to purpose making a pair but always wish I had when I'm using a hand tool under the power hammer: punch, chisel, etc.

The idea is to draw out the bolsters on one end and offset them a little. Set the rivet and hot forge the bits on the rein side. It'd look similar to a nut cracker. 

A couple link from a  motorcycle chain with reins welded or riveted on might work better.

There are details to work out but it should be pretty straight forward, all my punches, chisels etc. have close to the same size shank, they're just way too long for under the power hammer. 

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Ted Ewert said:

I've been thinking about different ways to make a punch holder 

Very nice, Ted. Nicely done.  

Did you see the punch-holding tongs I designed? 

2 minutes ago, Ted Ewert said:

Is that a weed harpoon? 

Kind of. You push it onto the ground next to the weed, pull back on the handle a bit, and then remove both weeder and plant. It’s great for anything with deep taproots, like dandelions, burdock, or thistles. 

522591C3-35FD-4309-AC7F-3A9D2D794B1B.jpeg

Weeds have gone wild with the rain we have been getting; especially along the trence down the driveway to the shop where they ran the power cable conduit.  So I've been weeding them by hand every time I go past.  Bad year for goat heads; I'm planning a bonfire for them in the fall.

I'm still cleaning in the shop I don't think I've had this much cleared room since a week after I built it!  Doing a lot of "I'll never do that project---toss"!  Interesting to find all the stuff I had hidden away.  Like the shell for a way too large gas forge from close to 20 years ago...

At the scrapyard I found 6 hay fork heads; sort of looked like someone had a barn fire.  Now to figure out some projects for them... I also found a scrapped wreck where the trunk was FULL of electrician and plumbing junk incliding some 220 plug ends still in the unopened wrappers.  As I plan to run my saw, drillpress, belt grinder, etc on 220 VAC free plugs were a nice find. (The scrapyard tends to give me "fluff" as they don't want it anyway...OTOH I try to collect brass and copper out of the steel pile and give it to them to put in their non-ferrous piles as they get a lot more $$$ for it.

I also found about 4' of *old* rock drill material---no hole through the center old.  Should be a nice low alloy HC steel to use for "historical blades forged in an non-TRADITIONAL manner (or manor for that matter...)

Also a couple of tools like a set of diagonal cutters; which my boss recently told me we must call them "angle cutters" instead of their traditional name.  I pointed out that the Dutch don't build angles and that Angle-Saxons might take offense too! Working at a University the PC can get pretty thick on the ground at times.

OUCH, a bumper crop of goat heads! Okay, added to the sympathy you expressed in another thread I really feel better suffering through the appalling high 70's we're being exposed to. 

That kind of crop makes me wonder if there are critters undesirable enough I wouldn't want to attract to not salt that ground. Heavy rains would rinse it out of the ground though and I'm not in favor of making a salt flat. Salt is safer than Roundup but indiscriminate. 

Good score on the 220v outlets and plugs! Sadly picking isn't allowed at any of the salvage yards around here. I'll have to pay retail when I get my shop wired. <sigh>

I don't do well around the PC crowd, I have a LOT of trouble not prodding them with logic. Especially the ones who try and invent words and terms that aren't "offensive" to some imagined folk.

Happily I was good enough at my job and then some they put up with me.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ah yes, the ol "D" cutters. I need to look up where that name originated for those particular cutters out of pure curiosity. I myself don't understand why people get in a fluff over something like that. It's all about context, for me at least.

Very quick search turned up the definition below. Edited out the word just in case (also I giggled more than I should have at the last part). Don't want the mods after me!

"D" (another name for general-purpose wire cutters), most likely derives its nickname from a blend of the term “diagonal cutters.” Also known as “side cutters” and “diags,” these handy pliers have been an electrician's best friend and led to an even more provocative idiom: “When in doubt, "D" it out.”

We also run into people "re-defining" words. We're seeing it in blacksmithing where ASO "something that looks like a london pattern anvil but can't be used as an anvil" is being used for Improvised anvils---"something that doesn't look like a london pattern anvil but can be used as an anvil."

It's always been a problem but social media  and platforms has multiplied the effect.

Nobody learning a new "craft" knows what's what, what it's called or what it means. Folk breaking into a craft need to be able to ask questions and talk about it though, the newer the more important communicating is. It leaves folk either speaking in descriptive phrases and sentences or using what they THINK is the right term. 

Add to that, social media communications is typically via text shorthand by people who haven't had to pass an English class in . . . since I was in high school, I'm a 1970 grad.

I don't know the stats but good reading comprehension wasn't that common among the good students when I was in and misunderstanding and misusing words was a constant then. I remember having trouble explaining a "bucket seat" wasn't a "front" seat and that is a pretty clear descriptive term.

It's why I get to be  pretty tiresome trying to get folks to use a common blacksmith jargon .

Frosty The Lucky.

Really cool idea Ted. 

I made some progress on this globe this weekend. All of the continents are mounted. Used JB weld for that and to fill in my terrible welds at the north and south poles. Have to do a bunch of filing and sanding and then figure out a way to make it spin but I just might pull this one off lol. Continents are a bit on the small side - had to redo Antarctica and Australia but I think the rest will be good enough for this first try. 
Also made a tool rack for work at the anvil which I was badly in need of. It’s ugly but it’s functional. 

92DFCA87-F887-4E8A-BAD4-22C21FDF1C77.jpeg

5532E623-6E84-4CBD-B8AE-A440B2061F16.jpeg

883A8026-B482-45C0-91A1-739930A1E0ED.jpeg

F797193B-061C-4654-BA52-6A5AFFAA85E3.jpeg

F7090E33-DC17-4649-9C26-DED6FAC4ABE9.jpeg