• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an auxiliary hardy holder that enables me to use paired fullers under the treadle hammer. 

826EDC91-8635-4BFE-9D0A-4EC1A92B2CF0.jpeg

This is a three-piece bottom setup: block with 2” square hole resting in the anvil, adapter with 7/8” square hole and 2” square stem, and the fuller itself:

80707EED-729B-4697-9BE9-03F1D6246CE5.jpeg

My anvil has a 7/8” hardy hole, so the adapter lets me use any of my regular tools with the auxiliary block. 

16 hours ago, Ted Ewert said:

1/4"-3/8" should give you enough material for the tennon, assuming a 1/4" tennon. You could always do a test piece to get more accurate. 

Do you have a monkey tool to square up the shoulders? Easy to make.

Thanks Ted. No monkey tool. I used my bolster plate on the last one I did but these will be my first “proper” tenons with a guillotine tool. The last one I did free hand at the anvil and it was awful. 

Well, My first attempt at blind, square hole, first attempt at basket twist, and first attempt at a gas key all rolled into some forge time.   First off The hole actually went quite well. Drilled a 9/32" hole, heated, and drifted to 5/16 square. Looked OK, albeit a tad off center.  Then, slit, and started the basket, and twisted. Got all wonkey, so I just twisted it tight. (forget the basket)  I believe it will be functional, but nowhere near aesthetically pleasing. So, it will hang on the wall, as a reminder of how not to make a gas key. :D

IMG_20210808_120712454 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20210808_120720114 (Copy).jpg

Nothing super fantasic, but I did finally get out for a minute. Turned a small piece of 5/8 rod i had into a punch. Forged it down then grinded on it for a minute to round it out and clean it up, because who doesn't like shiny?

16284607794992435933902519412126.jpg

Two distinct phases to today’s work. The first was drilling, tapping, and finishing the beer tap handles I forged yesterday.

6DBF25AE-CA7D-438D-B199-19A942111B24.jpeg

The second was when my student Eva showed up for a lesson. She’s on a big spoon kick, and having just carved a wooden one, she wanted to try forging one. Since this was a good opportunity to teach her upsetting, that’s what we did. 

She really enjoyed using the torch stand for spot-heating the area to be upset:

6C042E0F-E790-43EB-A4A9-E13D9FDCDF03.jpeg

And she learned a good lesson about turning the anvil on its side to upset into one of the curved sections as a swage:

93DB3C63-35B0-47B5-A376-FB882FFD4A04.jpeg

(Please note that her thumb is not on top of the hammer handle.)

TW, these are for my neighbor across the road, who is an avid home brewer and is just about to make the jump to pro, having made plans to turn the old Army-Navy store downtown into a brewpub. These four are test pieces that he will use on his “keezer” at home, and I’ll probably end up making another dozen for the pub itself. 

So, both. 

Addendum: when I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago, I took a pound of plasticine and spent a fair about of time “sketching” ideas. I’d make a model, take a couple of photos, mash it up, make another model, and so on. My neighbor picked the four he liked most, and I made those. We also talked about some other things he liked (such as a leaf-handled bottle opener I’d previously made him), and I suspect I’ll be modeling a few more ideas before long. 

Everyone looks like they been very busy and work looks amazing. Wish I had time to get my stuff together have worked 128 hours in 2 week span WOW. Wish that was forge time but all these posts I see keep my itch alive and the first day off I get I'm not completely drained this guy will getter done.

John really like your tap handles.

More deck work. 

made brackets for the top of the railing, got stairs in, started the decking. Just have to get an inspector over to check the framing and give it the ok. Then 1 more inspection and its done. 

Got 4 more brackets to make, and a whole bunch of bolts. Then i can start on the lower portion. I did learn to keep one in the fire while scrolling and bending  one that made pretty quick work. 2 of the bolts are forged the other 4 are just lag bolts i squared the heads on. 

IMG_20210808_173815.thumb.jpg.7b8ed35a9c9824c8dbaa13d95940135a.jpg

Where they are going. There is a screw on the underside that is not visible so it is just a screw. But you can see where the forged bolts are going.

IMG_20210808_173858.thumb.jpg.49fd287ce56ff259b21402675ec56121.jpg

And just an overview.

IMG_20210808_193313.thumb.jpg.d1c511047be2c4bdbf2f6a45dc9aacb2.jpg

Nice deck pieces Billy. 

I finally got an auto darkening helmet. Made my welds ten times better. I was able to make one of the tools I’ve wanted most for a while now - twisting wrench. 

Also used the new guillotine tools to make tenons for this picture frame. Was not as easy as I hoped. I’m sure that’s mostly because I need practice but do you guys think having the grinds all the way to the edge of these dies would help? I guess now that I think about it I’ve only seen butcher dies in YouTube videos and never up close so maybe they all look like this…

Anyway, and Most importantly- I’m in need of some help! - I made this picture frame over the weekend for a wedding gift. I’m really happy with the way it came out but I realized once it was done that there’s nothing to actually hold a picture in place lol. Big problem. I made these little tabs to try to attach to the back on the top and bottom cross pieces but both jb weld and gorilla glue didn’t hold them…maybe bc of the paste wax finish? I guess I could just double sided tape a picture in but I’d like them to be able to easily change the picture if they want to. Any ideas??? Thanks. 

FE9D5765-030A-443E-91D2-F4A7FC59D2FE.jpeg

010E44D8-A387-4E87-86EE-242AC2EABE5A.jpeg

3139DF6A-A821-4D6E-BFB1-AB7EB72879F3.jpeg

66F9931A-0109-4842-989C-32AFF0286ED8.jpeg

6E341795-0841-43A0-894B-DD20220914CD.jpeg