I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Didn’t get to work in the shop/back corner of the yard today. Spent the day watching Godzilla and zombie movies with the grandkids. Closest I got was swimming with them in the pool, but I guess that could count, since I sometimes cool hot iron down in it. 

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched video of a power hammer, a huge, huge power hammer. The piece being worked was almost 6' wide, almost as big as the guy standing next to it, the hammer looked the size of a pile driver. Which i guess would be a sort of power hammer. 

On 8/2/2021 at 3:38 PM, Pat Masterson said:

figure out a way to make it spin

Could you just weld, or JB weld a piece of round stock on the South Pole that fits into a piece of pipe on a base to make it rotate?  Might have to make a base, though.  It never ends... ;)  I like your globe very much!

2 hours ago, Nodebt said:

Might have to make a base, though.  It never ends... ;)  I like your globe very much!

Thanks Nodebt. I was already planning to make a base and then have that half circle arm piece that connects at each pole like most globes have. I’ve got a few ideas along the lines of what you suggested. 

On 8/4/2021 at 11:20 AM, Frosty said:

It's art Pat, nobody's going to use it to navigate around the world. It does a good job of representing the continents. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. 

32 minutes ago, Pat Masterson said:

that half circle arm piece that connects at each pole

If it encircles the entire globe, it’s called a “meridian”; if it’s only on one side, it’s a “semi-meridian”. 

I was trying find a better way to create a simple fixture for wrapping various round loops or arcs, like an “S” hook.

first I tried this, simple pipe to a fitting I can hold in the vise.

297A49C1-9054-4303-ADD2-9A6545369D05.thumb.jpeg.2f633541286cff15d0965cbccd2f31f9.jpegthe problem as you would expect is that the nut moves left- right.

I recently built a portable hardy hole stand

75065723-4A3B-477D-A206-B3ACBE38C71A.thumb.jpeg.17ba0b59f16dee5edefa26819c547fad.jpeg
I thought of this idea, make a hardy to hold various pipe fittings. I built this today

E08098FF-4554-4E9F-AC9E-E00E9F2FCA75.thumb.jpeg.51fe01c7e67a30a4eb8f1b08f0373ca4.jpeg2E0618FE-858D-457C-8AAC-C1243A5854AA.thumb.jpeg.e0e0f61589c0812321f57b8ad13624a4.jpegit is now easy to change pipe sizes using various adaptors. And it is stable in all directions. Mostly all parts available at the hardware store, pipes, adaptors, flange. 
Thought I would share this idea.

Bob

Not been around here for a while. Been crazy busy trying to keep my business afloat since February 2020 but things are looking up again and managed to lift the fire in what must be about a year. 

Bought myself a drill press and little mig welder. 

This prompted a tidy of the bench to put them on so I made some tool hangers to get my hammers and tongs out of the way (not easy in a 10 by 10 container) 

Made a couple of belt buckles for a mate, a pair of calipers to measure a large  pipe for work on Monday, a belt hanger for my pick up stick when I go clay shooting and a large hook for a fitness project at home. 

As always the quality of everything is pretty rough but it's okay for the lack of practice I have had and I enjoy it so I don't care. PXL_20210724_125950033.thumb.jpg.e3acc189a08e2abf88dbfad15cd01631.jpg

PXL_20210807_112612240.jpg

PXL_20210724_125924542.jpg

PXL_20210807_112557499.jpg

Thanks JHCC, I made a rebar buckle 30 years ago that I have worn every day since, its a great track of my waist line. Luckily I made the belt strap far too long so it still fits. 

A pal of mine always liked it and I found a foot of 3/4 rebar and decided to make another. 

What’s up guys. Hope everyone’s enjoying the weekend so far. 
I have a question about tenons for what I’m working on right now. Going to be a picture frame. It was supposed to be upset square corners - the type the has the nice sharp outside edge with the smooth radiused inside. I basically ended up with the opposite lol. I didn’t have the right stock to try to technique that Peter Ross does - taking a thicker piece of stock and drawing down towards each end starting from where you want the corner to be. I thought I could upset the bar where I want the corner and try to work the upset towards the side where the outside corner would be and then bend - maybe a better smith than me could pull that off. But it’s ok they still look better than if I had just bent some square bar (I think) at least that’s what I’m telling myself after almost two hours of work. Anyway back to the tenons - how much of a bite do I need to take to to have enough to join them at the corners? This already ended up being smaller than planned so I don’t want to take any more that I absolutely have to. It’s 1/2” square bar. Thanks!

521C0317-233C-4BD7-BDD2-15E2A32F8F93.jpeg

A very hard session in the shop today, and I’m definitely feeling it now. In retrospect, I probably pushed myself a bit too hard in the heat. 

However, I did get the forging done for four custom beer tap handles. Drilling, tapping, and finishing await. 

82C66F47-D44C-438F-B9C3-F0BCC0F4D45A.jpeg