• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Careful_Eugene; if that is supposed to have molten wax in the cup and a flame underneath it; I would suggest making it MUCH more stable with a much wider base or to fasten that base to a piece of wood larger than it.

Of course I have Grandkids and pets in the house at times; not to mention being above the Socorro Magma Bubble and small earthquakes...

I was able to get some knives cut out of some flat stock for orders, then decided to jump all into hammering on a railroad spike.  This is my first attempt so please be kind in the criticism.  My dual 1/2" Frosty Burner forge survived our move 80 miles last month to a new house and man do I like it.  Heats up fast at 3PSI and sips the fuel. 

I literally had a blast this afternoon.  Drawing out the spike, rounding the tip, twisting the handle, etc.. was just flat out fun.  Can't wait to do it again soon.  I wish I would have discovered this years ago.

spike.jpg.8ed5a2565ec2ad4f77ae3d8a8051734e.jpg

turned.jpg.55b07f5554474cff8ead762ea638cc90.jpg

finished.jpg.82396b103828c324be6a4a8d03f494c6.jpg

Way to go DEW! YeeHAW!

Nice steak flipper Hornet. You have an excellent eye getting such a nice even taper and ditto for your hammer control. You're off and rolling now!

Frosty the Lucky . . . tree frog? :blink: 

A spirit amphibian eh? I'll burn a couple twigs, wave the goose feathers and chant something the voices suggest to see if my spirit animal croaks regularly. 

I'll get back to you with this one. 

Frosty the Lucky

22 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

if that is supposed to have molten wax in the cup and a flame underneath it; I would suggest making it MUCH more stable with a much wider base or to fasten that base to a piece of wood larger than it.

Thanks, it's more stable than it looks but I'll see about fastening it down to a piece of wood.

Replaced the spindly handle (far right) on a big ball peen hammer.  Handle was too round and small diameter, so hammer would twist in my hand. 
Had some oak  kicking about...not the best material for handle, but was easy enough to shave down with a draw knife. The 48oz cross pein followed me me home from an exit off ramp about 1992...saw it one day...was still there the next day...and it was safe enough to pull over and grab it. The short handle 2lb hammer (far left) I inherited from my father.

E0E2C053-09CB-478E-8DE3-8AE5481B7F34.jpeg.38fed243cc8e79974bf143ec79f03bd5.jpeg

Made this here ax, tomohawk, hammer thing. Piece of sway bar off of a Chevy truck. Dont know the steel but it hardened nicely in oil. Sharp enough to shave with. Punch and drifted the eye.

20201125_181052.thumb.jpg.5a28ad297ed25bdbc59b50179d3637e9.jpg

Ran into a part of y coal pile tha was a lot of dust, flakes and small pieces. Sifted out through some course screen to get the bigger nut size chunks. Did not have to break coal for the whole day, however i was constantly digging out cliknkers. Here are a part of them, think i half filled a 5 gallon bucket by the end of the day. 

20201125_115652.thumb.jpg.5c673183729f346954f340e8e4633d2d.jpg

Anywho, off to get some pie and maybe i can sneak a bit of that stuffing with out the old lady seeing, Ya'll have a great weekend. My daughter is due on Monday so next week ya'll get pics of my new grandbaby, #8. 

This morning I slept late and then went out and burned more weeds in the yard; 1+ acre tends to provide a lot; especially with a septic tank!  I also cut pieces of old rusty barbwire to forge basket icicles from and twisted them a bit more to not have them unravel any when forge welding the ends.

If I'm allowed I'll fire up the coal forge and weld the baskets.  Probably do the twist and untwist using the propane forge tomorrow.

As I was working the barb wire I realized that I could make little stars to hang on a Christmas tree too. I may have to start working on a fixture to do those as well. An old rancher friend told me he had made his wife a Christmas tree from horseshoes and now that the kids were out on their own; that was the one they used.  I'm thinking a horseshoe Christmas tree with barbwire ornaments will probably show up in a magazine someday...There's a reason I call my smithy "Recycled Ranch"!

I also told him how to make a horseshoe pumpkin.  I expect after the pandemic is over he'll stop by for some forge welding lessons and drop off a bucket of old wrought iron RR spikes; there was once a rail spur going across his ranch going up to the mines; now long abandoned and they buy up any of it that comes up for tax auction.  (RR took the land by eminent domain; but when they shut down they sold their rightaway off to folks who didn't realize that a narrow strip of land surrounded by other folks' property wasn't accessible or good for much...)

Frosty; do you think we have John convulsing yet; or quoting from Elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus under his breath? 

Also added handle to the mystery hammer (left). Face is concave, should be fine for striking punches etc. Rounded end is sorta cross pein/round. Other hammer maybe old auto body hammer...cleaned up ends...slender rounded end may be useful for some  tasks.F8584708-293E-4BB5-B821-95B614918126.thumb.jpeg.1e85e9b75431f2bbde63f17a374c6c36.jpeg

Believe it or not a concave hammer face is lousy for striking much of anything. You need to strike punches and chisels accurately with the force of the blow straight down the tool. A convex face will strike flush if swung a LITTLE out of line or off center. A concave face on the other hand will have to strike EXACTLY inline and on center or the punch will meet a curved surface in the cup shape and deflect.

The rounded face of a rounding hammer is about perfect profile for chisels, punches, etc.

Frosty the Lucky

With Thomas mentioning horse shoe christmas trees, here is one I slapped together. The idea to do one did actually come before. While I have seen many done with full shoes and many different styles, here is one less done. Not like it is really my idea tho. And also used used horseshoes and on most had to cut off the clips, a few bent nails and get the "crud" out of the shoes. 

20201127_000623.thumb.jpg.cde7cf9ff205810be43e6b18446bcd8a.jpg

20201127_000507.thumb.jpg.426ce33d4047dae7372e94096b6635cc.jpg

That’s very nice!

I nipped into the shop after Thanksgiving dinner to do a couple of spot welds on the bases of a pair of menorahs for a rabbi friend. Together with the candelabra I made for the church in Alaska, this means that I just need to do something for a mosque to have covered all three Abrahamic faiths!

Thanks.

There are many faiths out there, I've done work in one way or another for many of them. The only way I pick and choose is if I can do the work or not and if it goes ok with my morality or not. Thankfully the latter is Very rare in asking.  Obviously religion is against tos so I'll leave it simple like that.