I Forge Iron

Mounting my Pig

I am a firm believer in mass under your hammer should be as solid as possible. 

So this is were I started for the mount of my Italian Piggy. It is in transit from Italy, should be here in about 2 weeks.

The cedar log is buried 3' in the ground. It has a tendon cut on the top to accept a 6 X 8 X 1/4" rectangle steel tube.

20200211_142029.jpg

I scratched my head for a few days on how I wanted to keep the stand column in place and firmly attached to the stump tendon.

I first made a square washer out of 1/4" plate to fit around the tendon. This will prevent the 1/4" thick steel column from digging into the top 9f the stump.

20200219_134445.jpg

I lag bolted the base of the column to the stump tendon as seen in the previous picture. That will keep the column from tipping from side to side... but I needed to keep the steel column to stay firmly on top of the steel plate washer.

I mounted 3/4 of a square steel tube to the tendon. It is lagged into the tendon from the sides. I then bolted a length of 1/2" all thread to the bracket.

20200219_134437.jpg

20200219_134137.jpg

Yes, Italy.

I wanted to down size from my #300 PW. I fell in love with the Italian design Piggy. Ordered from a reputable web site.

Shipping and customs was a large chunk of $. I made enough from the sale of the PW to pay for the #198 Piggy.

You only live once...who is to say you cant have nice things?

The former PW was mounted in almost the same fashion.  It was very very solid. This mount should be the same.

I do a double take every time I see this thread's subject come up. That's about as fancy a stand as I've seen. I'm thinking Miss Piggy will think she died and went to heaven when she settles in.

That's a HECK of a job Peppie.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty--- knowing you have seen hundreds of stands.... your statement puts a smile on my face, and a fancy feather in my cap. Miss Piggy will feel like she is belly deep in mud!

Captropheus- I have a habit of over killing. 

Latticino- yes, I spent today mixing up an oily batch of play sand, and packed the column full.

That thing looks as if it's anchored to mother earth herself!  I think that has to be the most solid anvil stand I've ever seen.  Though, I must admit, if you are really into "over-kill", I find myself wondering why you didn't just dig to bed rock and pour a concrete foundation!

Now that I have gotten the attention of some very experienced smiths.. I have a question. 

To mount the 4 footed pig anvil to the base plate. I was thinking of laying  the anvil upside down and drilling 2 ,  3/8" holes,and taping them. This would allow me to use all thread to cinch it down to the base plate.

Thoughts??

Not so sure this anvil will be so easy to fashion effective hold downs. It has pig feet. The 4 feet have a shallow, upward curve. I would really like to not cover up the feet. They give a very aesthetic look to this style of anvil.

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote

I would suggest some brackets welded to your top plate to register the anvil in position (carefully placed so as not to spoil the lines of the feet) and then a layer of silicone caulk under each foot to actually secure them down. My Mousehole (aka The Undisputed King of Anvils) is held down thus, and it doesn't move at all, even when I'm using the treadle hammer on it. Since Miss Piggy weighs 50 lbs more than TUKA, you should be fine.