I Forge Iron

Wacky Weather in 2020

ThomasPowers

This week Wednesday had a  high of 32 degF and today it's 68 degF; tomorrow will be colder---only 65 degF.  I was hoping to burn up the wood pile and clean up the area before we got a new load; but the way it's going we will still have wood by the time we shut down the woodstove.

I hear that. We started the winter with 2 round bales of hay. I figured that might not last and we'd have to get another one. We've used it to feed and bedding in the nest boxes, rabbit nest boxes,  etc. And we still haven't finished the 1st one yet.... Green grass is still growing. Also, brooding chicks and the temps are ranging so widely, I'm having to watch them very closely and adjusting the heat constantly. 28 last night and up to around 60 today. This is one of the weirdest winters I can remember. 

Still winter at 7500 feet above sea level here in Laramie.  High of 27 today.  High of 40 predicted for tomorrow and that is the warmest day in the 2 week extended forecast.  We've had some snow on the ground since early December.  Ahh, the joys of a high altitude continental climate.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Heavy rains last night, snow today, (High 33 degF)  60 degF on next Sunday.  Of course we are in the valley; from my front porch you can look up and see the Magdalena Ridge Observatory Dome at 10K feet altitude.  They don't get as much rain but sure pile up the snow! Now the kicker is we are supposed to get wind gusts of 45 to 60 mph today. 

I got up and fed the wood stove during the night and left my wife a good bed of coals with a fresh log on it. How I wish I could stay home and drink hot tea and read while watching the snow eddy around the windows.

• 3 weeks later...

If it wasn't a leap year this year we would have had the only February on record without any rain, but last night on the 29th at 9pm it started raining. Not much, but enough to cut back the dust. Now if we get record breaking months for the rest of the rain season we might make it to an average rainfall year.

Weather has but one constant ... it's variability. February has always been the month with bigger changes. 

We had fires after 6 month of drought and the lack of backburning (save the slugs) ... and then rain to catch up for the next 6 month.

It is what it is.

Sometimes I think that the mention of how variable weather is "this days" as compared to "the good old days" where everything was pretty and constant, is simply due to bad memory.

We tend to remember what we consider good and forget what does not please us. Then we have the malicious alteration of data for ulterior motives and the picture is then complete.

The end of the world is at the door. :) 

I thought the world ended in 2012? This weather must be part of the twitching that happens after death.

I'm going off of the old family records. My family has been on this property for almost as long as a non indigenous person could be. We have the family diaries from the beginning to reference off of too. 1851 is the earliest diary we have, 1850 is the earliest known occupation of non-native peoples. The Spanish may have passed through earlier, but no known records exist. The diaries weren't personal diaries, most of the entries say something along the lines of "Feb 12, 1920. Overcast, butchered 2 pigs" or "May 13, 1911. Frost, killed all tomatoes. Remember don't plant until memorial day"(this still holds true today).