I Forge Iron

Wacky Weather in 2020

ThomasPowers

Reading the oral histories collected by the WPA about the settling of Catron County NM; they ALL included a story about the great blizzard of the late 1920's IIRC and the various shifts the isolated rural folks went through to survive. I remember one was about a couple of trappers that got snowed in  in a cave while running their trapline.  They ate whatever predators they trapped until it melted enough to make it back out of the mountains.  They kept reboiling their coffee grounds to drink and said when they were finally able to get out of there, the grounds were white...

5 hours ago, Shabumi said:

Frost, killed all tomatoes. Remember don't plant until memorial day"

Darn RIGHT, stupid people planting too early, ARGH! :angry:

I plowed snow yesterday, we'd gotten about 7"+ the day before and it was clearing up so I spent the two hours it takes to get everything clear and cleaned up. Started snowing again about 5:30 pm yesterday and stopped about 2pm. today for about 8 1/2" of fresh white. Weather report says it'll clear up and temps go back down for the next week but I'm not sure myself. I'll probably cross my fingers if they're right about tomorrow and plow again. 

Ahhhhh, a real winter! :)

Frosty The Lucky.

The avalanche danger is WAY high, we've been on a temperature yo yo for a couple months so the slopes are covered with layers of strong, weak, strong, weak snow and most of them have just received a couple few feet of fresh. I do NOT recommend back country snowmachining  right now! The ski slopes on the other hand will be groomed and avalanche hazards shot today or tomorrow. Skiing will be excellent for a week or two at least. Come and play.

Boy, how do you stand sweltering heat like that Thomas? Yesterday's low was 28f., it's 4f. right now and will get colder till sunrise. I clean the wood stove every other day if I don't have to keep a fire roaring all day, then it's every morning when it's out. You REALLY don't want to be opening the door to the ash pan with a fire burning! The effect is like using a leaf blower on a camp fire, roaring flames right up the stack badness. We still have a good 3+ cord of dry wood so we're golden. We don't really heat with wood but it's an excellent supplement to the oil boiler. No heat beats IR, either sunlight or a fire, it soaks right to the bone. A hot stove will warm you faster and more thoroughly than a 110f. room. 

Okay, the weather guessers were close enough this morning. It looks like cross my fingers and warm up the truck time. Man I gotta say our big old area is so much harder than plowing roads. Lots of reversing and back blading. 

Frosty The Lucky.