I Forge Iron

"new" forge

bluerooster

My existing forge works very well with charcoal, but due to it's construction, I feel that it wouldn't work too well with coal. 

So, this morning, I spent better part of an hour scrounging around behind the shop, and out to the barn. I then took what I managed to round up, and started to build a forge.

The table is cut from a water heater, the firebox is made from a piece of plate that had some sort of HV relay, with associated circuitry attached to it. Frame is a couple of old T-posts, legs are re-bar.  I'll be adding bracing, and a tuyere tomorrow.  I'll make a flapper of sorts for the bottom of the tuyere, to allow coal gas, and clinkers to escape.

IMG_20200111_163349428.jpg

I'm concerned about the gauge of the steel in the firebox. Looks kinda thin in the pic. I would think 1/4" as an absolute minimum, better at 3/8" or 1/2". My cast iron box is ~ 3/4". The table itself looks fine. Like Grouser said, good start.

Steve

Dang pnut, you mention of a place to put hot steel to cool made me think about a place to put smaller chunks of cold steel, yet to be forged.  Most of my smaller (<12") goes into a bucket, which I need to dump and dig through from time to time. Some of which could be on the shelf under the forge, ready to grab, and go.   I think I'll add the shelf after all.

Build a HOT table to put beside the forge. Anything hot goes on the HOT table.  Anything coming off the hot table goes into a bucket of water, then into your BARE hand to be placed on a work table usually on the other side of the anvil. 

If the object is still steaming and hissing when it comes out of the water, consider another dip before you put it into your bare hand. (grin)  This way there are NO surprises and no one gets burned. Someone can pick up a warm piece of metal but nothing you did not hold in your bare hand first.  If tongs, hammers, etc are put on the hot table, they go into the water, and then into your bare hand.  Rules are rules. 

I was thinking about that toolus slope as I opened the roll up door to the shop this morning to grab a propane tank to refill at lunch.  Right inside the door was a 25# LG with a hawkeye helve hammer sort of leaning against it with 4 postvise piled on the HHH...  Still not at the angle of repose yet!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 3:17 PM, BillyBones said:

Frosty, is toolus the same as talus, just tools instead of rubble?

I just got back to this thread. Do I REALLY need to explain:rolleyes:?

PM me if so; It'll spare you a severe public ribbing. I can only control myself so much you know. 

Frosty The Lucky.