I Forge Iron

Some pattern welded test pieces

14 years smithing and I have never really toyed with pattern welding / damascus. 

I have decided to start practicing in preparation for a "super secret" project I am working on. :D

While these are tools, I decided to put this post here because the focus isn't on the tools......rather this is a generic here's what I tried, and here's the results, post. 

So these were three test pieces I did.......the center punch (far left) is 16 layers of 1080 and 5160. Dark pattern, distinct, but does not "pop."

The chisel is 16 layers of 1080 with 16-inch circular edger blade material. (I was told it was 15n20 but it does not pop enough for that so the material grade is unknown.) The weld was good except for one small part that delaminated in the third heat of the first stack. However it welded back in and otherwise seemed to weld fine. Whatever the material is, it did crack a bit during hardening and it follows the blade material in a spiral with the pattern. Of course, there are many variables with hardening and I was not using my oven. Very well could have been operator error.

The butcher (right hand tool) is 16 layers of 1080 and large band-saw blade material. (According to specs, known 15n20 steel.) The weld is clean, held up good, and the pattern really pops out.

All three test billets started as 8 layers. They were welded, forged, cleaned, cut, stacked, welded, forged, and then twisted.

The circular and band saw blades were sourced from friends.

Each piece was normalized three times prior to rough grind and hardening.

Etch was post quench and temper in muriatic acid and then coffee. 

Commercial link removed

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

I have heard that the some of the manufacturers of band saw blades used by lumber mills use 15N20 for their blades.  I have some band saw blades for cutting steel and tool steel that are 2" tall by .072  or slightly thicker than 1/16 by 14'-6" .    I hope that they are  15N20 or at least have a good contrast. I tried to do some online research of the manufacturer and couldn't find any info on steel composition of their blades unfortunately .

Thomas

I definitely will .  

Unfortunately even though I am an old and crusty welder/fabricator .

I am still  Green and inexperienced when it comes to forging.  I would probably be well served to be someones striker for a while. I don't even know how much I don't know yet {probably a lot !!!!!!!}   Without further research I don't know how to do a heat-quench break test .  Etching I know just enough to do it wrong probably.  I have read about ferric chloride  muratic acid and instant coffee used as etchants.  But I am learning so there is still hope 

1 hour ago, Randy Griffin said:

Looks good. All the welds seem to be holding.

When you say large band saw blade - how large?

The particular one I got a hold of is .082" thick and about 8 inches wide. I am being told by one of my steel sources that saw-blade 15n20 is only made thicker than .045" and thinner than .125" with the majority being .095". 

heat-quench break test is one of the more esoteric ones: Heat the "sample" till it won't attract a magnet, (forge torch, etc---it doesn't matter!). Quench immediately in water, (fresh, salt, recycled---it doesn't matter) Then using PPE (You only have to protect your eyes if you plan to be using them later!) put it in a vise and thwap it with a hammer and see if it breaks.  I start with a gentle tap and work my way up to something substantial.  If it breaks easily then it has enough of a carbon/alloying content to go in a billet---IMNSHO If it breaks with some difficulty then I might use it in a billet that has a lot of High C stuff in it.. If it bends over I would only use it in ornamental billets---Pattern welded is not just for blades you know!

Good to see you post Dave, we missed you. I like low layer count high contrast pattern welds, I like the pop. Nice pattern welds time for practice developing the patterns. You've had welding down for how many years now? Making cool patterns is the fun part and a good thing to practice with different color modeling clay. 

We know you're busy and all but drop by and say hi once in a while will ya? :)

Frosty The Lucky.