I Forge Iron

Out of Harms Way!!!

Just a short story of how easy it is to be in harms way.

I've been searching and searching for an anvil.  (so what's new.........everyone here either is searching or has searched for one!)    Last Sunday I received a response to one of my "WTB and Anvil" posts in Craigslist.  I said I was looking for an anvil, 100+ pounds.  So this guys response was, "Hey, I've got one over a hundred".  I asked how much over.  He said "Not sure, but it's heavy."  So I said............."Send pics".  He says he will after he gets off work.  So this "dance" goes back and forth for a total of 18 e-mails that concluded last night.  But he won't send the pictures.  Somewhere along the way I asked what he wanted for it and he said 400.  l asked where I could see it.  He lives in a town about an hour and a half plus North of me.  So I said send pics so I can decide if I want to make the trip.  He asks where I am and after telling him, he said "Heck, why don't I meet you half way and just bring the anvil?"  At this point I'm getting pretty uncomfortable as to just why he won't send pictures.  I said I'd wait to see the pictures.  About an hour later, he pops back on my screen saying "I've got two of them and I'll sell both for 700.  Now let me interject at this point that I was born very early in the morning.............but it wasn't this morning.  So I ran a criminal court docket search on him and he's got a rap sheet as long as my arm.  The guy was setting me up for a mugging.  He knew I was going to show up with cash!  Then I get another e-mail where he says, "I'm loading up these anvils right now.  Give me your address and I'll bring them to you.  You're going to want them both.  700 cash."  I just said "NO, I'm too busy tonight and if you aren't going to send pics, I'm not interested."  (I haven't heard word one from him since!)

Sometimes you have to listen to the hairs on the back of your neck.  !!!

Now, the rest of the story...............................While we were going back and forth in e-mails,  I realized  that my e-mails have my personal website listed below my name at the end of every e-mail.  So wait a minute!  He now knows what city I live in.........he knows my full name..........and knows I have the cash he wanted.  (where is that "head smack" emoji when you need it?)  This guy needed money "right now".  He was almost panicky trying to arrange a "face to face" with me.  I don't think it was going to end pretty.

I'm a graduate of our Norman Police Departments Citizens Police Academy and know a lot of the officers in the department.  So I called Sgt. Hunt this morning and told him what happened.  He said that happens a lot on Craigslist and you just have to be careful.  When I told him this guys name, he "ran" it and commented I'd probably saved getting myself mixed up in a real mess.................but to keep my eye on any suspicious vehicles or people in my area...........and definitely don't answer my front door at night without a firearm.  Sarge knows I wouldn't do that despite this situation.

So, in the future, when dealing with people on Craigslist via e-mail, I'm going to be super diligent to remember to remove my website link from the e-mails.  It was careless-stupid for me to expose myself like that and could see Sgt. Hunt shaking his finger at me........even over the phone.

So remember..................when communicating through Craigslist, the person sending you e-mails is doing it anomalously, but they are seeing your actual e-mail with all of your personal stuff just as a friend would.  Who-d-a-thunk-it?

Yeah, sometimes you just have to listen to your guy. Sounds like you dodged a robbery. Maybe next time you can get Sgt. Hunt to ride along as back up? It could be a twofer: One you don't get robbed and maybe beaten and two he gets to bust a bad guy. Hmmm?

Have a dog? I love having a dog, even our old not a dangerous bone in her body retired service dog Abby is deterrent enough. I was walking back from the store and caught a couple hoods casing cars, one even had a slim jim sticking out of a back pocket. They walked up to the pickup, looked in the side window and Abby sat up to say high, both punks took off fast enough to draw attention from a couple folk in the lot. We go through spates of parking lot car break ins. Now if some moron had tried to reach for the lock button with Baxter the dachshund aboard s/he'd pull back a bloody stump. 

Dog Chris, you need a dog. It doesn't need to be a vicious dog, just a mid sized mix breed is perfect. Going to meet someone? Take the hound, they love a ride in the car and if the other person doesn't like the idea you brought your dog. Nuf said.

If my dog doesn't trust you, I don't.

Anyway, glad you're okay and your words of wisdom and advice are as true as it gets.

Be careful out there boys and girls if the world doesn't scare you, you aren't paying attention.

Frosty The Lucky.

" Gotta be a bit later as my smithing buddy Sgt  XYZ doesn't get off at the Police station till after  PDG and he's interested in the other anvil..."

Who knows, maybe he had the anvil that was stolen from me back in the early 1980's in OKC...

I took my address off my smithing "business cards" for similar reasons and generalized my location on things like my info here.

1 hour ago, DHarris said:

Just remember, if he shows up, don’t whip out your hammer unless you fully plan to use it. If you pull it out just to threaten him, he will take it from you and likely send you to visit your ancestors. 

No problem, Thomas, I know when and how................and when not to!

53 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Be careful out there boys and girls if the world doesn't scare you, you aren't paying attention.

Sarge knows me well enough to know my head is always on a swivel and my eyes dance around a scene as if I'm on drugs.  I'm extremely situation-ally aware.  Only I never thought I'd have to be that way on-line.  This was a good lesson

Dogs are a must have. For companionship and protection. I have three. A Cane Corso/ boxer mix, a Great Dane mix, and one who is a dachshund/ beagle/ Australian shepherd and pit bull mix. Yes, you read that right. She looks like a dachshund though. My husband used to have to leave out on hitch for as long as three weeks and my mom would ask if I was scared to be here by myself. I told her I have too many dogs and guns to be scared. But anyway, I'm glad you're Ok and you made that creepy guy before he made you. I'd miss my neighbor:D

had a job for a not so nice neighborhood when I ran my own electrical shop, so I took Katashi with me, and kept her in the back of the van, she was half timber wolf.  I can imagine the reaction when a person tried to get in.   She did tree a person that came into the shop after hours once,  They were found on top of a filing cabinet and I left them with her growling there while I called for police to come arrest them. turns out they were there for quite a while before I came in that Monday morning.  I miss her, she was a great dog

Have had small dogs all my life................except for less than a year before my ex-wife took the dog in the divorce.  That dog was a sweet Golden Retriever.  Got her as a 2 month old puppy.  You've probably heard about their disposition.  As far as protection..................well, if a burglar breaks into a home, the GR will eagerly go to a drawer, get a flashlight and help the Perp go about his/her business.  My last dog was a full-sized Chocolate Pomeranian.  15 pounds of the fluffiest, sweetest little "popcorn buddy" I've ever had.  Died 3 years ago on the 4th of July and I miss him dearly.   So I have to depend on my brains and my sidearm.  I'm trained to use both effectively......................just let the brain part slip because I was so caught up in wanting to find an anvil.  Took the Craigslist link off my desktop yesterday so I'm not tempted to go and check for anvils. :D  Need to clear the cobwebs out of my old brain and start thinking straight again. ;)

11 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

I have too many dogs and guns to be scared.

You are my kind of gal. 

3 hours ago, Chris The Curious said:

just let the brain part slip because I was so caught up in wanting to find an anvil.

That's a hazard we all face, desire is a powerful emotion and emotional investment tends to lead to tunnel vision. Compound that with the fact we can be blindsided at any time and it's a scary world. Tread carefully and keep your senses sharp out there.

Frosty The Lucky.

"Tread Carefully".................sage advice, Frosty. 

I followed the advice Sgt. Hunt gave me and contacted the Sheriff's Department in the Perp's home town because they might like for their Investigation Division to have the info.  Indeed they were interested and asked I forward copies of all the e-mails between the Perp and myself.  They didn't say, but it sounded as if they were already investigating him for something.  I hate predators even more than thieves.

Further disappointment in my quest for an anvil.

Frosty, sage words of advice there. "if my dog dont trust you, i dont trust you." 

Good move on the photos thing. I also believe that even if all seems on the up and up, do not go alone, make it some place public during the day, and my personal preference is a 1911 .45 with me. 

Sgt. Hunt told me my idea of having them meet me in the Norman Police Departments front parking lot was the best way to cover my rear end.  They've got cameras all over the place and nothing can go wrong that's not completely recorded.

I've got a GPS in my truck.  When you push the "Home" icon, it takes you to the Police Departments parking lot.  When people steal your vehicle, they've not only your vehicle, but your garage door opener..............and sometimes even a ring of keys that might open your door at home.  If they've got your vehicle, you aren't at home.  Leaves one pretty vulnerable...............but my GPS just takes them to the POLICE!  :lol:

I like that idea John, I'll have to check next time I drive by the WPD station. Local youth groups are always having car washes in their parking lot. Darned good spot for online sale exchanges, worth suggesting if it isn't already. Thanks.

Frosty The Lucky.

When I lived in the over the Rhine neighborhood in Cincinnati I came home to a surprise. My Chow chows had a burglar trapped in my hallway.  I'm not sure how long the guy was in there. I was working third shift. Long story short I didn't call the police I let the dogs meet him and never had another problem with burglars in that neighborhood.

Pnut

This is where having a throwaway email address is handy. 

You have a real one that you use for business and family etc and a spare Gmail for general Internet use. 

My real address is 15 years old and gets very little spam etc but my Gmail is swamped with crap and no one is going to track me down through it unless they are very determined. 

10 hours ago, JHCC said:

Our local PD has signs in the parking lot for the designated online sale exchange location.

That's GREAT!  We don't have anything like that.................but at least I know I can transact there and be protected.