Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

“The Firewood Poem”, by Lady Celia Congreve

Elder being death in the house has my interest. A quick search says Elder trees are witches or otherwise enchanted. Burning one invites a death in the family, another source says it's lousy firewood, it burns cool and makes lots of ash. There's even a ritual sort of to ask forgiveness of the spirits before felling.

We're safe here. WHEW!

Frosty The Lucky.

Elder does not look like the tree I would pick to burn for heat.

Strange wood.

Weird willow is not mention. Is used in many form so it can be cut to have firewood. Don't know the translations but knotten (small trees) and houtbosjes (cut just above ground). The smaller twigs are used to heat up the breadovens.

Same for beech, ash, oak that can resist frequent cutting.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished playing catch-up on three years of a wild ride.  Absolutely loving the shop and the old equipment.  I don't know how you are getting out of your stage fright and doing videos, but they have been amazing to watch.  Congratulation on getting your workshop completely filled as well,  would be fun to be a fly on the wall watching that.  Just a bit of a drive from Texas.  

Something I didn't hear you mention in all of your restoration was running a current through it and converting the rust back to steel.  I keep an old battery charger around just for that purpose.  You can just fold up a tarp big enough to surround it in liquid, add a bit of contaminant like salt or copper sulfate or borax, baking soda, etc. ( since you learned water is a bad conductor), and let it run for a day or two or week or two.  Come back to a surface that will flash rust the instant it is pulled out, but that's easy to deal with on a teardown now that the parts separate to easily.  Just converting the rust back, reduces the pressure (as rust swells away from the surface blocking pathways for oil to penetrate).  

Works best line of site to the rust, so surrounding it with multiple rods around the part, but not touching for a direct short work best.  I personally ran across a box of theatre carbon arc rods that I use as sacrificial, and they deposit nothing but carbon dust on the part.  

Positive side goes to the donor bars in the tank, negative on the part you want to keep whole and remove rust from.  

You will wonder why you never tried it sooner. unless you already are, and didn' t cover it in the other 1000 things you are so accomplished at. 

I keep the copper sulfate for preventing fungus in my garden.  Grab a bottle of "root kill" and check the ingredients, typically nothing but copper sulfate crystals.  Toss a handful into a sock and drop it in a widemouth mason jar.  It will saturate the solution and you now have a concentrate you can spray with a miracle grow style sprayer and keep fungus off your cucumbers, watermelons, etc.  You could also use it to copper plate parts if you were feeling so inclined.  

Truly in awe.  

Copper is considered a heavey metal and it builds up in the soil.  It's not bad, used in moderation, but can kill beneficial organisms in the soil if used excessively.  Serious abuse can lead to problems in humans.  It's fine, for the most part but some people get carried away.  Sulfur based fungicides are an alternative but don't work as well.  

Still silently following your progress, Jennifer...:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 11:50 PM, Candidquality said:

Just finished playing catch-up on three years of a wild ride.  Absolutely loving the shop and the old equipment.  I don't know how you are getting out of your stage fright and doing videos, but they have been amazing to watch.  Congratulation on getting your workshop completely filled as well,  would be fun to be a fly on the wall watching that.  Just a bit of a drive from Texas.  

Truly in awe.  

Thanks. it's going to be spectacular when things finally get finished. 

LOL..  3 years of a wild ride for sure.   Huge, huge learning, and many curves to boot.  Many do and redo's. 

Also all the learning about the support equipment like the manlift.. Which I love, love, love. 

Back in 1986 my stage fright was pretty intense.  If I stopped and looked into the audience I was a mess for about 5min until I could get back into the swing of things..  :)  Swing of things.. get it..   Talking to the audience was ok..  But no looking. 

Now, I don't really see a difference.  People there or not there..   Interestingly while I don't talk much on the videos it's simply because there isn't really an audience.  What I mean is, the flow of having people hanging and watching is not there.  Often times I explain things while forging or during reheat times..  Reheat times get cut out of the videos. 

While I'm demonstrating I just explain and talk to people as I work.  

Comes with being comfortable with the materials and methods.   Seamless really. 

You are welcome to come by anytime.   I hope to have an open door policy with fellow smiths if possible with many hammer in's and educational events as well as some smaller group things.  

Onwards.. shop news

I worked in the shop more.  I pulled the workman door and welded on some steel framing to it so it would be solidly mounted in the wall solidly.    The door was originally designed for wood construction vs metal construction so the jamb was thin..  Was impossible to mount the building trim properly.. 

I used larger diameter tapcon screws to and used silicone between the metal touching the floor. 

Now the door is rock solid..  Of course the next time I do a door I know the correct steps.  I had to do a few extra things after welding the frame on like putting bolts thru to pull the center into a neutral position. 

The door I bought was adjustable which means it slides on thin metal sliders.  Now it can't do that. 

Doing it again I would weld the sliders and put in a cross bar spacer for the correct spacing. 

By getting the door frame done this means I can install the insulation and interior siding.  That is a huge next step. 

20230717_161553.jpg

20230718_202604.jpg

20230718_202610.jpg

20230718_202615.jpg

20230718_202621.jpg

20230718_202635.jpg

20230720_170847.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well after coming back from Peters Valley I have the bug a little bit to get the school done. 

Today even though I was exhausted after horses I dragged myself out to the garage and removed all the 3 phase panels and converter and moved it over to the school.  

Not installed yet but in a great position to be moved into place..  

This is my cousin Tyler.. He swung by to help me move the stuff.. 

That motor is how big a 40hp is. 

20230808_171103.jpg

20230808_182304.jpg

Frosty, while that would be "wicked cool" having a school is about making it simpler for people to learn while not incurring extra risks to get the job done.. 

Its a world that even with the  Old electric gear-driven drill press someone said..  What happens if you stick your finger in there.. There meaning gears.  

Strict rules, guards and harsh penalties is how teaching people to do hazardous tasks safely is done. Running a line shop was the only thing that came to mind to do with a 40hp motor, you accumulate line shop machinery pretty constantly. No?

A student asking questions like that are how you illustrate the consequences for doing something stupid. Feeding a hot dog into pinch points worked for Dad and I've made good use of the demonstration for decades. Not ONE person who's seen what happens to one has put a finger in a pinch point.

Instructing newbies about the consequences of not paying attention to hazards is probably the MOST IMPORTANT responsibility of an instructor. 

So, what are you going to do with a 40hp motor?

Frosty The Lucky.

Dead edit function! :angry:

I meant to say in the above that. Not one student I've shown what happens to a hot dog has put a finger in a pinch point.

I have no idea if it always works or if anybody else uses the demonstration.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

only thing that came to mind to do with a 40hp motor

I think the intent is to use the 40 HP motor as a phase converter for running 3-phase eqt in the shop.  Unfortunately I don't know enough about those systems to judge whether it is an issue to use a larger motor for conversion when running smaller loads (like a 5 HP power hammer for example).  If needed I can ask one of the EE in my company for advice.

That being said, I'd love to see a functional line shaft facility, but certainly understand the relative insurance issues.

Frosty..  Sure it is taught that way in that environment.  That is not this environment though.   

When a person has a job and needs to get recertified for safe handling of flammables  they are either paid to take the class or pay out of pocket..  Much different kind of "taking a class".. 

Blacksmtihing classes are supposed to be "Fun, fun, fun and challenging just enough, and thru this rewarding".   

Students and particular instructors can be like Terriers..   they will ask questions that are not really subject questions but peripheral questions..   

Example: You are forging mild steel and talk about hot punching a hole..  Suddenly the student will ask about tool steels, knives, and carbon phase diagrams and being confused about the subject.

This is a subject all its own and is off-point considering we are just hot-punching a hole and not part of the skill..  This question is more in line with a tool or knife-making class vs basic forge work and hot punching a hole..  

So I will tell the student to take the tool-making class or we can broach the subject after class because it's off subject.  If time allows and materials are available I will demo the process explaining the steps to making a hot punch. 

If I chase after that question it becomes a 2 hr presentation on metallurgy and serves no real purpose in hot-punching that hole..  and really is a waste of time, since the information will only be half what it should be if that. 

If the school is line shaft driven then all the students would have to be briefed on use so it would be common knowledge with everyone in the shop. 

Having 5 guys hanging forging whatever and talking and chatting,  is a whole different venue and not really a "class".. Can things be learned sure..  But that's not really a professional teaching situation though it could be, depending.  (fun, fun, fun right).. 

If you are teaching a safety class as to why one does not stick their fingers into a press break by throwing in a weiner, or run into a burning oil tanker so you throw a chicken in..    that's outside of a blacksmithing class..  LOL.. 

Go for it.. 

No line shafts.. 

The 40hp RPC is so I can run the welders, power hammers, forging press, drill press, bandsaws and blowers all at the same time.  I bought it some 12 years ago, so I could sneak up on the school and be prepared for the the time comes. 

Laticcino there is a ratio for HP to the  amp draw..    This 40HP would be way over sized for just 1,  5HP bandsaw.. 

This unit uses 7amp at idle with no load.    If one is running a lot of single machines with little amp draw then a smaller RPC would be suggested and possibly 2 for the difference in loads. or even a different balancing unit. 

I'm not one of those people though..   What does happen is the Run caps used to balance the machine take a beating.  So they fail a little sooner..  The Run caps are cheap and I replace about 2 or 3 about every 5 years in my one-person shop. 

Once the school is open there is going to be many machines going at once.  The only part that really needs monitoring is not starting all the big drawing machines at the same exact time..  

I can run any combination up to 40HP  and even slightly over for a limited time..    So, 5, 8HP motors  or 8, 5HP motors 

Or 20, 2HP motors..  etc etc..    The vacuum/fume extractor is 7.5HP,  the Welder is 50amps at 500amps output ( i have never turned the 10 turn dial more than 2 turns, At 3 turns it blows hole threw 3/4" with 0.045 wire)  The power hammer is 7.5HP, the grinder is 7.5HP, the dust extractors are 1.5HP each.  

40HP will serve the whole school easily..   

• 1 month later...

So, the RPC is installed..  Took a little while to figure out location and overall layout. 

Sadly with never doing this before it's not cut and dry.. You do things all the time and it's second nature.. 

Layout with what I want to take place in each bay is tough. 

I was able to fire up the Oster 784 threader and finally make some RMT Nipples to go between the large wireway and the panels. 

It felt amazing being able to use the equipment finally. 

20230922_172152.jpg

20230925_161621.jpg

20230925_184820.jpg

So, I've been getting some work done now that I'm feeling inspired by getting some 3phase power into the school. 

Now it's the little things.  

I had to order some electrical enclosures to finish off the light runs. 

I have also included extra wires for another 4 LED lights.. 

All on dimmers.. So I can dim each side (left and right) of lights separately and I can also turn on and off as well as dim the 4 lights that will be ordered and installed at the enclosures.. 

Ever since getting the 3phase installed I've been inspired to get out there and spend the time. 

20231002_185915.jpg

20231002_185937.jpg

Today I installed the boxes on the left side and finished installing all the hardware to hold the duct work in place.  

The duct work now is stable enough to walk on.. :)  Also aligned it a little more with the building.. Was aiming towards the left hand side of the building. 

I have to confess I'm starting to get pretty excited about the school opening. 

Getting that 3ph power installed charged me up. 

20231003_182602.jpg

20231003_182657.jpg

Ordered the 4 extra lights to day.  There will be no dark spots in the school..  :) 

David, you are welcome for sure..  

Everyone is welcome to come for classes, a hammer-in, or to visit.. 

I'm hoping to have some events and such like iron pours as well as theme-based classes. 

Intro, advanced, and intensive classes. 

A lot to do before then but it's super exciting to think about. 

Made some progress on the insulation of the last section. 

The insulation system uses a device to hold the insulation up to keep it from settling. 

For the life of me I could not find them when I ran out so spent about 45min looking..  Turns out they were right in front of me and I had walked by them 50 times.. 

When I moved the welding leads over to the school I put them on top of the inside siding..  The hangers were under the leads. 

The manlift was not working well after I took it out and turned it around outside..  So took about 1hr of cleaning contacts and wires.. The usual suspects only to find that at some point the Auxillury electrical power button in the basket was partially depressed or stuck.. 

Once I pushed it completely in (its spring return) everything was back to normal. 

2hrs of frolic messed with my productive time.. 

20231004_182036.jpg

12 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

2hrs of frolic messed with my productive time..

Isn't that the way of things?! A sudden touch of fall temps (here at least) certainly inspires us all to get moving on various winterization projects!

That's a neat little lamp (a scene with a farrier perhaps?) & will add a nice touch to the school which is looking great Jennifer!

--Larry