I Forge Iron

Garden Anvil Help

Hi Guys 

For the last little while I've been banging away on a 200 Lbs block of P20 and mentioning the word "ANVIL" to everyone I know in hopes someone would know that guy that had one in there back yard... Well today was that day. total wt is 152 Lbs. and I was told it was painted to look like a cartoon Anvil complete with hand painted Acme on the side. So I took the wire wheel to it and found this... Any Ideas on what I have? the rebound is fantastic compared to what i have.

20190702_165454.thumb.jpg.a6e7e65e5ed065b2dce87affec8546a5.jpg

20190702_165450.thumb.jpg.7efe6b5eff536c754292421b53beec4f.jpg

20190702_221040.thumb.jpg.5bf291ab3003c394b8c60d8d51b4d21d.jpg

20190702_221026.thumb.jpg.8313d98b2ba4f021c64ed91b75eeac90.jpg

20190702_221009.thumb.jpg.e8e42b3155d405c73ea8170e781c744b.jpg

20190702_221035.jpg

Ooooh, a FREE Hay Budden? I sure hope you bought a lottery ticket or two today!

I think a disk grinder and cup brush will clean that beauty right up. Wear breathing protection you don't know what kind of paint's on it, might be lead based.

Someone with a copy of "Anvils In America" should be able to tell you as much as the numbers can.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd use just the wire cup brush.  Flap disks can remove metal and from the looks of your anvil, it doesn't need any metal removed at all.  The only time I've used a flap disk on an anvil was when the face had been really marked up.  The flap disk knocked the marks down to an acceptable range.  Yeah, a free Hay Budden, you really got a huge blessing.  

Haybudden.  152 pounds. Free.  JACKPOT! 

That's incredible.  You're actually pulling our legs, right?  You really paid $5 a pound for that beauty, right?  Based on what I'm finding in my area it would more than likely go for between $5 and $6 per pound, especially in that condition. You are one lucky stiff, to say the least.  Congratulations!

I swear on everything I hold dear that it was a matter of being at the right place at the right time. Was talking to my wifes cousins about forging and mentioned that I would love to have an anvil. One cousin had a neighbor who was complaining about having to cut the grass around it, 1 call and i was there the next day... 

Now I have to start chatting about power hammers and hydraulic presses 

TPAAAT in action, even if you're not really trying. 

I've been looking for that Volkswagen size gold nugget someone is tired of taking up space in the yard. Anyone have an Aunt who knows someone who  . . .?

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay, okay, enough of this gloating! ;)  Donchya know there are those of us "out here" who could be driven to absolute insanity with all your self-centered gloating over that ugly big chunk of steel? :D  Give us a break and just quietly enjoy your good fortune alone in your own, private shop and stop making those of us, less fortunate blokes, who have no such "ugly big chunk of steel" in OUR shops feel so abandoned. For cryiin' out loud, man, can't you have some decency for the feelings of the rest of us? :rolleyes:

Okay, off the rant box.  That beautiful anvil just gets more beautiful every time you post a picture of it.  Congrats.  (Dang that was hard to say!) :lol:

Dang!  That's  nice.........................I mean, surely you could get that silly ball to bounce higher!  ( you know I'm gonna rib you about your good fortune forever, Dan, so get used to it!) :D:lol:

I keep asking folks and all I get is comments like "I hear rail road rails make great anvils". <_<

Teh-he, Snuffy.  I feel your pain.  Have a friend who is looking for one for me.  He keeps bringing me pictures of cobbled up chunks of steel and saying "I found one for ya".  I sat him down a couple of days ago and tried to edumicate him on the difference between anvils and "anvil shaped objects".   Oh well, maybe God will drop a real one in my lap like he did Dan.  I can only hope.