I Forge Iron

Kanca New 165# anvil with a soft face

I just bought a Kanka 110 pound anvil, it is much softer than the stated 54-62HRC. at that hardness there should be no denting whatsoever and it's on the harder side of any hammers out there I'm pretty sure. I've worked on 11 different anvils that I can remember, most were older ones and the face didn't dent, even missed with a sledgehammer blow once on a peddinghaus 150 pound I think and that didn't dent it! light hgammer blows such as bouncing your hammer between forging is enough to dent my kanka anvil . it's obviously steel but the heat treatment didn't stick on mine, softer than even my cheap chinease hammer! it sounds good, nice ring, I really prefer the German pattern, I'll be getting a Peddinghaus next time for sure,  the Kanka is use able but not the hardness they list on their site/elsewhere...maybe some are, I spoke with someone who has one he says his is plenty hard...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Omni …,

Thank you for your heads up.

I am contemplating upgrading my anvil . And I have been considering various brands of anvils. Kanka is,  now,  no longer an option.

You would think that a well established manufacturer would pay more attention to quality control. Or are they cutting corners  in order to fatten up the bottom line?

Kanka  say it  "aint so".

SLAG.

I completely agree, I contacted Centaur forge and the lady said the ball bearing test/hammer bounce will ruin any anvil...she talks like she's actully done that, well I have and I know for a fact a good anvil doesn't DENT! aparently blacksmith's depot did hardness testing on some and lists the results, maybe you'll get the good one! I really like the shape of it, just think both centaur and kanka should do more quality control, if they say their anvils face is between 54-62HRC then it xxxx well better be between those STATED hardness ranges! it's SPECIFICALLY why I bought this one, because they said between those numbers rockwell... annoying, not a total waste of my money but a little disappointing

what really sucks is most of the new anvils listed on centaur are all DUCTILE IRON! why not use decent steel? 1050 can't be THAT much more expensive than ductile in bulk amounts, and they are more expensive than the Kanka drop forged STEEL anvil! 

Mr. Omni …,

The lady at Centaur, is severely misinformed.

(if I was not such a Gentleman I call the woman clueless, but I wont.).

Is Centaur going down that rabbit hole too?!

I cannot believe that.

Sincerely,

the  SLAG.

she said "they don't cover the "abuse" of bouncing your hammer off the face" "should always have a bar of mild steel between the face and hammer"  well duh I wasn't trying to FORGE the anvil's face!  heads up to any future anvil buyers from centaur...

On 4/2/2019 at 2:23 PM, SLAG said:

Mr. Omni …,

TOTALY AGREED!!

Mr. Powers is correct,

The advertisement is a material misrepresentation.

The contract for purchase and sale is breached.

I Suggest that they read the State's Unified Commercial Code Article two, for confirmation of what I aver.

SLAG

Sorry Folks,

I completely forgot about the 'Implied Warranty of Fitness" requirement of the above-mentioned statute, and also the Common Law contract requirement that the product do, what it is supposed to do.

In other words, a proper, functional anvil should NOT suffer dents when it is used by a smith.

Respectfully submitted,

The ,  SLAG.

Another example of that legal concept is that an umbrella should not shrink when we get it wet.

I have the 50kg Kanca in route as we speak. Centaur shipped it with the billing adress not the shipping adress. The guy on the phone fixed it quickly but it added a delay. If I'm understanding their site they are closing one of their two stores. So maybe financial trouble? Could explain the attempt to stop a return/refund. I'll let yall know if I have the same issue when mine gets here.

Thats a bummer and I would definately contact Centaur and Kanca. You must have got a lemmon. 

I have probably around 60 hours forging on my new #165 and other than a couple very small dents and some nearly microscopic scratches, my face is smooth and you can not really feel the dents with a fingernail and you have to look very hard to see any flaw at all.

As far as bouncing a hammer on it, I do it all the time, No abuse at all but I find it fun to bounce my hammers off it and I think I am starting to feel the hardness in different hammers just by the way they bounce. I have also dropped my 1” ball bearing from over 2 feet with no perceptible dent.

Good luck and I hope somebody makes it right, disappointing to hear this...

As I recall one of the treads from a while back had a kanca rep who is a member here. I can't remember which thread but it was a Kanca anvil question so I think there are only 5 or 6 of them. Might be able to get a more direct contact if you can find and message him.

A REP. from KANKA contacted me this morning, I'll send pics to the address he's sending, he was very patient and said he'd forward my emails/pictures to his supervisors. and yes, an anvil MUST NOT dent, all those dents end up impressions in your finished work and make for some pretty ugly  finished work when it should be perfectly smooth and as you shaped it, NOT as the dents in your anvil shape it! Traditionally the faces were left full hard and not tempered according to a few older references I've read anyways, and my experience with older anvils shows this as well, an anvil will edge chip if struck really hard but will NOT dent, hardened steel bends and springs back or chips if it's really hard...does not dent! and of course anvils are harder then our hammers otherwise this would be an issue every smith through history would be complaining about.

I'll post back when I hear more, hopefully they fix this, I wanted to buy a post vice from them as well...we'll see

anyone here close enough with some hardness testing files or a tester of some other kind to test my anvil's face? I live In WARRENTON, OREGON.  my guess is it's 40 something, maybe 44 or so and this may be generous.  last night I bent a hold fast in the hardie hole and that dented the edges badly..so yeah, heat treat didn't take at all I'd say.

I'll post the pictures here as well when I take them later this evening

OOOHKAAAYYYY...so Centaur just changed their advertisement on the Kanka anvils stating that doing the ball bearing test WILL damage -ANY- anvil and they don't cover those damages..beginning to see why they are going out of business. this is a bit low...and I think that statement will likely warn any experienced customers away from the purchase of one of those...HOWEVER...they still list the FACE hardness as being between 54-62...which would NOT dent from such a test. No Bueno Centaur!

Don't bother testing it . . . SlugO. :) That's a factory defect and it's warranted. The more you mess with it the more likely you'll give them a loophole to slip through. I don't think Kanka will try slipping out of covering their product but sometimes you get THAT guy as a factory representative.

Those dents are all you need to prove your case. Honest that's more than enough to sully their on the world's largest best read blacksmithing forum on planet Earth. IF they don't live up to their warranty. 

Hmmmm? Just be patient they'll make it good, they have that rep already.

WOW your most recent post just uploaded. I guess they no LONGER warrant their products and negative advertising doesn't matter! Hang in there anyway, I think you're grandfathered in but I think Centaur just committed marketing suicide. I wonder where they'll hold the auction? 

Frosty The Lucky.

I know right! THAT statement is going to turn away SOOOOO many likely customers! I know it would have me! I didn't do a bearing test, it's just denting from regular forgework use, bending the holdfast (which was hot) even messed up the edges badly. I'll keep this updated as I hear back, I DID mention I was directed to call on advice from the moderators here so hopefully that carries some weight...I know there are at least a few on here curious about the quality of kanka anvils, I know of one smith on facebook with the 75Kg. anvil, worked on it for years, face is still true and not dented so I believe they do produce a good anvil but occasionally parts out of spec do make it through quality control, I've been guilty of it  in the past.

Hello everyone.  I am Bekki from Centaur Forge LLC.  I am sorry to see all the unpleasant posting.  We have been selling the Kanca Anvils since 2015 and had not had any issues or problems.  I have read the original e-mail that was sent to Centaur Forge about the anvil and read the thread of conversations above.  First, I would like to say that Centaur Forge stands behind the products that we sell.  I would like to see pictures of the damage done to the new anvil and I will forward them to the manufacturer.  From that, Centaur Forge works with the manufacturer to find a solution. 

The customer service rep that responded to your e-mail may not have years of experience behind an anvil, but has worked for Centaur Forge LLC for over 4 years and has done research on anvils & forging and has done blacksmithing so that she would have a better understanding of the products we sell.  She may not have the answer's that you wanted to hear, but I have been here for over 20 years and have heard 10 different answers to the same question from 10 different blacksmiths. 

Centaur Forge LLC has been in business since 1960 and plans to be here a long time to come.

If you would like to contact me directly, my e-mail is bekki.baas@centaurforge.com or call phone number removed

I would like to work with you to get this resolved.