I Forge Iron

Kanca New 165# anvil with a soft face

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here are the pictures I just took, as you can see there is some really deep denting and mis-shaping going on.  I have never hit my anvil with a hammer without something between it, bounce it yes but every smith does that and that is what left the smaller crescent shaped dents. the dents in the hardie hole are from bending 1/2'' stock HOT...very soft for this to do damage, i've only had it a week and it's got many dents already...other anvils i've used didn't dent at all, even had one german anvil hit with a full swung sledge hammer strike without denting/damage.  I believe Kanka makes good anvils, spoken to two others who are very happy with theirs and there is no dents after years of use, hardening doesn't always work as we ALL know from experience. I'm just starting back into the craft after a few years away...just want what I paid for " High grade steel with surface hardness 54-62 HRC"  at the lower end of that range there would be NO denting...bought specifically because of those stated values...I am in contact with Kanka as well.

PICTURES WERE TAKEN WITH A GOOD CAMERA, ZOOM IN TO SEE THE DAMAGE

archive.zip

It can be if there are a bunch of missed strikes with the hammer.. Also if the face of the hammer is not dressed properly..  It is possible...   As to your hammer and such. I do not know.. 

I don't know what you use for a  hammer and your question was very generalized so answered it without having done a scientific study of your particular hammer faces to anvil hardness and using you particular information..  I can't say one way or the other.. 

All of my hammers and all the older hammers I have owned were very hard compared to modern hammers.. My hammers will all dent an anvils face...  and the steeled Wrought iron hammer  is more than hard enough to dent a Peddinghaus (Rigid) anvil..   

some will make a softer hammer on purpose to limit damage to the anvil..    It can be a good idea..  

Again.. I'm not there and can't examine your equipment nor the anvil so only can go by my own experiences..  So, can not say with your equipment one way or the other..  

Is it possible for sure..  But... 

I have a 2 pound Swedish pattern hammer from Centaur and I rounded all edges that I sanded down myself when I got it. I've never seen denting like this except on cast iron anvils that I got many years ago when I first started the  craft. You can see that forge scale is driven into the face as well in the pictures.

You're hitting the anvil with the hammer WAY too often for a 10 hr. session. Had you done that on my anvil your hammers would be in really rough shape but mine's a Soderfors and you could be having chips from it's edge surgically removed from your privates instead.  Those are missed strikes and I see a lot of hammer edge marks but it's still not acceptable you have nothing more to prove here. If an anvil can't survive a beginner's caresses you need something else.

Now let up and let the good folks at Centaur make good. You don't want to get their backs up when they're working the problem, nothing good ever comes of that sort of thing. I suggest you get your old ASO back out and work on your hammer control while this gets resolved.  You need the practice more than a pristine anvil. Oh, don't use that one anymore, you've rejected it take it out of use.

Don't worry brother it'll be okay.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Bekki Baas said:

Hello everyone.  I am Bekki from Centaur Forge LLC.  I am sorry to see all the unpleasant posting.

I really apreciate this Bekki! No offense to Dawn was intended but it really sounded she was assuming I was doing things I wasn't to do the damage. I sent the Rep. of Kanka, Ali, a email and the pictures as well.  I've been a customer since I very first started this craft..been a long time and I've always been pleased with my purchases in the past.  Hopefully I can find some hardness testing files to get the scientific proof, my experience/opinion I imagine carries less weight. I've spoken to two others who have a kanka anvil and one other here says thiers has never dented or been damaged and is as smooth as the day they got it. Hardening sometimes doesn't work, it happens, I'm glad you folks are listening and willing to work with me to resolve it! thank you!

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

You're hitting the anvil with the hammer WAY too often for a 10 hr. session. 

my skills have declined from a few years of dis-use I admit but no strike has missed the work completely and hit the anvil, my experience is the anvil dents the hammer not the other way around as well, they are working on it now and I've expressed my appreciation for it. the hammer edge marks are from bouncing a ball pein, there is one where the hammer did strike half off and left a considerable divot. Thank you for your feedback Frosty!

Frosty said it well..  let it get resolved. 

As to coming out of non use.. 

I took off 13 years.. .I have a Hay budden anvil that was like brand new that I used everyday for 20+ years (started using it about 14 years old) and was as good as the day I bought it..   

In 6 months of coming out of retirement I put 6 dents in it. Not very big, but big enough to make me sick..   I quickly went out and bought the Peddinghaus  as the old Hay Budden not only  has sentimental value but also is a historically magnificent piece of forge work.. 

I've worked on three different Peddinghaus anvils, one that was nearly 600 pounds, they dented the hammers easily. I plan on getting one in the future, really happy with the ones I worked with, saving my pennies till then.  Double the cost but as they say ......had a 300+ pound hay budden that I sold years ago and have been kicking myself about since...that one was made in 1910 I think and had a few small chips but otherwise perfectly flat and smooth, my step uncle used it to make many  gates and railings all over the bay area so I know it was used hard.  

Heres mine after about 60 hours. Including a bunch of rookies and kids. I do mostly small stuff but have forged a good amount of leaf and coil spring. The dent was from a full miss with a two pounder. 

I wish I had experience on other anvils to give a real opinion but to me it seems plenty hard ...........this anvil, it will dent

A82CEF41-2034-49A7-B9AE-6036EB9E0919.thumb.jpeg.56ac70a5d1f4d9c1408a37b3b77cd924.jpeg

17E696B2-BE9E-4CAA-AABE-114D05C48D3B.thumb.jpeg.67342d95842de0aaf624970a9da971ba.jpeg

452F2B1B-0119-4705-A871-BF3D109C0514.thumb.jpeg.d00b5860e6c7d8dd495ab21942786b68.jpeg

Good luck, I hope all goes well

kanka rep has been very helpful, they pulled a anvil from their stock and hardness tested all over the face, between 55-59 those are decent numbers for an anvil's face , I attached the picture he sent for anyone's reference. They clearly take pride in their work and for him to have this done just from my phone call says a lot about their company.  Don't any of you strike this companies anvils off your list yet, they are working expedited to address this thread....perhaps it will motivate some of you who were considering the purchase of one of their anvils. 

Now I just need some hardness files to test mine.

1.jpg

I didn't, I just ordered some testing files, should be here Sunday so I'll have a video of the tests by Monday evening...maybe i'll get *that* one (crossing fingers) though it's in Turkey so....

I'd be happy to send the files to centaur to do a test on my dime to test a perspective anvil!

My 50Kg arrived yesterday. Standby for info one how it holds up to forging. Hoping to get it mounted up this weekend. So excited. From how well rojos held up I'm sure yours was a fluke. Glad to see that they are working to make it right for you. A quality affordable anvil company is what the new generation of Smith's need right now with how expensive and scarce quality used anvils have become. 

20190405_102730.jpg

please do let us know! I am sure you are correct, hardening sometimes doesn't work as every one of us i'm sure has experienced a few times...certain pills are really popular these days to testify to that fact.  thanks for posting yours endlessbox!