I Forge Iron

My First Forge: Critiques needed

DallasRector

Hey everyone! I built my first forge ever yesterday out of some bricks in an old grill. I’m using a black iron pipe and a hair dryer with a shop vac attachment as my air source. Charcoal is the fuel.

Mid anyone has any suggestions or recommendations please let me know what I need to do to forge properly and safely.

Thanks Dallas

709ABE11-DD6E-4DCE-8DDB-ADEDCF9ECBE5.png

C61CC5DB-2CFE-4AC8-BC0B-7B966F65C1D9.png

Looks like too much air. If the hair dryer is connected to the pipe disconnect it and just point it at the pipe. It more than likely won't need to be pointed directly at it for adequate air. Play with it and see what works best for you.

Gentlemen.... I HAVE BENT METALL!!!!!

83FC8FC2-8FFB-4D9E-BA97-9F65E5C3E2E8.jpeg

I had a few extra hours to play around and I was trying to be very mindful of both fire management and hammer accuracy.

I employed your advice about the air and I worked really well. I didn’t realize how fast I was burning through charcoal that I didn’t need to be. It was definitely a learning experience and also very rewarding.

Thanks again everyone!

Cheap! Lol. Any Lump charcoal should be fine. The old kingsford or whatever briquettes are no good or desirable.

It's not really hard to make your own depending on location and whatnot. Or building a raised side fire and transferring the coals to the forge. 

1 hour ago, Enewguy said:

Charcoal briquettes? Correct me if I'm wrong guys but won't that create more fireflies and be incredibly less efficient than lump charcoal? Especially if you blow "hard" air at it??

They're not the best but you can most certainly work with briquettes. Break them into acorn size pieces and clean your fire regularly. The white ash is IIRC limestone powder added to keep them from burning too hot in a grill. Powdered limestone won't interfere much with forge processes including welding if you don't have it piled in the joint. Lime is added to smelts and melts to act as a flux, it combines with contaminants and floats them for removal. It's not a serious barrier, a little borax takes care of it nicely.

Fewer fire flies, it's actually a byproduct in the production of wood alcohol, various keytone solvents, etc. I believe it was Henry Ford who invented backyard BBQing and briquettes as something to do with mountains of charcoal powder left over from making solvents. Only so much can be used in filters. 

You're better off with lump but if all you have handy briquettes will do the job.

Frosty The Lucky.