I Forge Iron

Scrapyard plate anvil?

Ok so I saw this thing at my scrapyard. Not sure what it is, but Its just a huge hunk of steel that had an ok rebound with a ball peen hammer. Can anyone ID what it might have come off of? I was mixed on buying it as I have a decent 150# Vulcan and I would need to trim this plate to be at the correct height to work on. What do y’all think? 

Edit: this thing was probably 300#  

91C96216-1DF4-4C70-9547-C915EE1B9AF7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

Depends on what trimming it will cost you and how your vulcan anvil is working for you. It certainly is a nice chunk of steel. 

This. The Vulcan works fine for my skill and what I do. But I wouldn’t mind having a Brazeal style die anvil and this would work for that. I am uncertain of the trimming cost and that is holding me back some. Well that and the fact I can’t move this on my own. 

What is the thickness on that beast? A Brazeal anvil would be nice to own.

An angle grinder with cutoff wheels and flap discs can accomplish a lot of shaping if you are patient, and wear good eye, ear, and respiratory protection. Obviously if it’s really hard and abrasion resistant then paying for waterjet or plasma cutting would be nice, can’t help you on prices tho. Depends a lot on exactly what you want done, where you are and if the shop is busy.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:50 PM, Glenn said:

Please describe the trimming. What will it then accomplish that you do not have now?

From the angle of the picture, the face with the hole would be the top face. Ideally I would like to cut off the bottom protrusion which would get the top face close to or lower than where I need my anvil height. I could also cut it directly in half and have 2 anvils with upsetting blocks. I would hate to buy it and find out cutting this thing is more than I’m willing to spend. 

23 hours ago, stevomiller said:

What is the thickness on that beast? A Brazeal anvil would be nice to own.

I never took any measurements but my guess is it’s about 3” thick. If I go back today I’ll be sure to bring a tape measure with me. The piece isn’t super hard so many cutoff wheels should eventually get through it. 

I hope it's still there when you go back.  The scrap yard I visit has trucks coming and going daily so if you don't grab it, it will be gone.  There are ways of tucking things away, but that's not good etiquette and could get you bounced out of a scrap yard.  If in doubt, I'd ask the yard manager if you can set it aside and come back the next day for it.  If you keep your promise he'll probably let you do that every so often.  

Heck yes, see if they have a torch at the yard.  My yard does and the guys there have no problem cutting leaf spring assemblies apart so I can get the flat leaf springs I want.  They all think it's cool that I am a blacksmith so they are always willing to help.  I just don't abuse it and stay out of their way.  

If you are allowed to recover material from a scrap yard, ALWAYS keep steel towed boots, a hard hat, gloves, and safety glasses in the vehicle. A bright orange or yellow shirt is a plus. Put them on before you start your recovery of metal. They will ask why so answer to be safe and seen. Do not forget the box of donuts  or cookies on your return trip. 

After getting home and standing it up in the driveway it is actually perfect. It’s about 1/4 shorter than my Vulcan. It must have been sitting on some crap in the yard because it felt taller than that. Also I’m getting around 60% rebound. The hole in the top is 1-1/2” but there is a broken tap inside it. I guess I can break that tap out and sleeve it with some 1” square tubbing. Any comments or suggestions?