I Forge Iron

two leg vise ?

BartW

Hello Guys;

Found at an industrial dumping ground (and this was effectivly thrown away as scrap) from the Belgian train companies; a two leg vise. 

I have never seen one like this, it's cast steel, and both legs are marked 70KG; so I assume it's 70 kilos or 140 pounds. Jaw size is 16 cm or about 6 inch.

It's got almost no scars , and looks very good. Taking it apart,the spindle was greased up well and shows no wear at all. The "key" in the back to prevent the box from rotating was missing tough; I made a new one easily.

But that aside ; has anyone ever seen one of these two-leg vises ? any info on them ?

legvise.jpg

After a couple hours with a steel brush on an angle grinder; and half an hour sandblasting; then applying the two part epoxy paint for diving bottles; than I assembled it again with a lot of lithium grease. She looks better now.

I'm pondering cutting the legs off; and making it a free-standing vise ... welded to a round heavy plate.

20181212_212914.jpg

20181212_212941.jpg

20181212_212956.jpg

Seems the original colour was yellow. At least in Germany all tools used on railroad tracks are painted yellow. So no tool can be forgotten on the track. May be it was used when building or repairing railroad tracks.

6 hours ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith said:

You have a unique vise there, don't destroy it's uniqueness.  

Please!!

13 hours ago, BartW said:

I'm pondering cutting the legs off; and making it a free-standing vise ... welded to a round heavy plate.

To bad we are so far apart.......I would trade you a good 6" post vice and a chunk of cash for that vice. Maybe someone near would do the same.                        Dave

Well; You guys were right. couple of hours welding 'n cutting; and I've made myself a extremely stable stand.

For those wodering; the disks of Iron (these are soft plain iron; not cast iron. They are not brittle at all) are about 50 pounds each; so the "counterweight" makes it virtually impossible to make the vise fall over in any direction.
Now I got to paint it to cover up my welding ... :D

20181223_214037.jpg

20181223_213034.jpg

20181223_213049.jpg

20181223_213105.jpg