I Forge Iron

Who gets your tools, and equipment when you pass away?

LarryM

Has anyone thought who is going get belongings? The reason I ask this question is I recently lost a good friend.:( Who's hand written will is being contested. He willed everything property, farm equipment, tools, and etc to a friend, and former classmate. The family gets zero. So mine thoughts are the family should get the lion share. Last question do you have a will on file?

Be safe
Larry

I was just outside thinking about that. Neither of my sons are into tools or the use of their hands except to play computer games. The farthest thing from their minds are my tools so I ask my youngest(19) what he would do with them when I was gone. I wasn't surprised by his answer, disheartened yes but surprised no. He is going to sell the hand tools on Ebay and the big ones on Craigslist. My wife thinks that that is fine. So I got to thinking that may I would find an aspiring young smith and give them to him. I have many tools for jewelry, bronze casting and blacksmithing. I have spent the last forty years gathering these tools and I just don't want them sold off to some undeserving person or collector and the proceeds spent on some blasted computer game that will be played for a week or two.

It depends. If I have time, I'll donate and/or sell everything. If not, my survivors are instructed to sell it as none of my grown sons are interested in following my steps. That in itself does not bother me at all since I've encouraged them to follow their own Way - not mine. My tools are merely extensions of my hands and they should go to other people who will use them wisely after I'm gone and not to sit idle, collecting rust.

With todays laws, wills mean virtually nothing. Anyone can contest them and hold up everything in probate for years. Personal experience
If you want someone to have a particular item, give it to them while your still alive once you get to the age where you either cant use it or are just not intrested in it anymore.That way there is no question.
Everything in my shop goes to cousin who is just getting started in blacksmithing.

I hope to give to a desearving individual before I go.

My grandson just graduated high school and showed an interest in old record albums, I said look through and take what you want, he took a box and didn't make a dent, I won't sell but he can have them all, better now then a fight over who's going to get them to sell.

If the kids show an interest in anything we have, they generally get it then and there.

Been through the will thing, went to court, like JAFO said.

I'm deserving!

At Quad-State one year they had a estate sale of smithing tools. The widow had asked them to price and sell them. They put on very appropriate prices---upper end proces for used tools and solt them out to folks who would use and appreciate them.

I've mentioned this technique to my wife and also suggested that she save back a "beginner's kit" in case any of my unborn grand kids became interested.

Just my brother and I left out of our family - I'm not married and have no kids so the personal stuff goes to my bro - my shop will too but if he doesn't want to keep it, I've ID'd my smithing buddies who I want to have first choice and left instructions that they are to get a "smokin'" deal on what they want. After that he can sell it for what he can get.

I agree with the above - If you know you're checking out, give your stuff (or sell) it up front so the folks left behind don't have to deal with it.

When my folks passed, every family heirloom had a note on it saying who was supposed to get it. We respected that and made sure it all went to the right folk. Sure made out life easier!

Unfortunately, there's no shortage of people who start feeding on each other once the estate comes up for grabs.

If you've had to go through that, you have my sincere sympathy. It can really tear a family up!

Thanks for all the replies, I agree you should give your stuff to someone that will get the most good for them. Before you check out or are no longer using them. I particularly like the estate auction at Quad-State. To many times collectors horrid valuable tools and equipment aspiring smiths would love to have.

Thanks again for the replies
Be safe.
Larry

Don't forget that we can run those tools on an IForgeIron auction and make them available to those that are aspiring smiths, or smiths that would make them welcome in their shop. Many of the tools would be put to work to earn their keep.

I was looking on Ebay today under "blacksmith tools" and there is a lot of stuff up for sale that belonged to some ole boy that loved it dearly but didn't plan to far ahead and now someone else is making the buck or two off of it. His family probably sold it at a yard sale or estate sale for $1 a hammer or tong and was tickled pink to get that. Either that or they kept grandpa's stuff until dad or mom died then gave it to a thrift store and someone bought it for $0.50 and it never got into the right hands. Just made me depressed looking at all of that stuff that was cared for and then just disposed of like it was junk to clear out space. I guess I'm through ranting.:mad:

My grandfather, before he passed, told me he wanted me to have his tools. He did this because he knew I would not only use them but treat them with respect.

My dad, after grandfather died, said even though he knew my grandfather's wishes, that he would keep my grandfather's tools. I was a little annoyed to say the least but not wishing to cause a rift in the family, accepted this.

My dad has now passed and I have inherited both his tools and my grandfathers.

And I use them daily, all of us being in the same trade, and each time I pick one up, I feel a connection with those men.

Not only that, they are a site better tools than any you can buy in a store today.

My tools along with those I have inherited are not in pristine condition, would have little value to a collector but they have been used for the purpose for which they were designed (and sometimes not!) but used nonetheless which is the most important aspect of this whole debate.

My son, who has demonstrated a similar appreciation of tools as myself is going to inherit the whole darn lot whether he likes it or not and I am sure they will pass to his offspring in a similar manner. I will lie better in my grave knowing this.

I was umable to care for my tools when younger. Too many moves too many stars to chase. Now I have assembled a fairly decent shop and it is growing rapidly.
My youngest and I had this conversation a couple of days ago. I was surprised to learn that she and her future husband value what I do and the tools that I use. However neither of them plan to follow along.

I will most likely look for an aspiring young man with stability, to get what I have started. I keep hoping for an interested daughter or Son in Law. Too soon for Grandkids yet.

• 2 weeks later...

my Son gets most of the shop. Of the remaining few tools that are not going to Sean, they will go to the apprentices that helped me to make them, but they don't know this yet ;) it seems fitting they get first chance at reclaiming their own sweat.

• 5 months later...
Has anyone thought who is going get belongings? The reason I ask this question is I recently lost a good friend.:( Who's hand written will is being contested. He willed everything property, farm equipment, tools, and etc to a friend, and former classmate. The family gets zero.

Be safe
Larry

UDATE:

Thought I let you know what took place here. The family is going to inherit most of the modern farming equipment, Tractors, Implements, some tools etc. The property is still undecided. So things did work out pretty well after all.

I personally did get:

Misc mechanic's hand tools and equipment.
Miller Bobcat 225 welder
Victor Journeyman cutting and welding torch with cart.
4" Blacksmith post vise.
Several tons of scrap steel:)

Here are some pictures of welder and torch setup.

So keep on hammin'!!!
Larry

10474.attach

10475.attach

10476.attach

10477.attach

10478.attach

Listen, and trust me on this one...

verbal promises are, unfortunately, not worth much these days, and as mentioned earlier, wills are not as binding as one would think.

Here's an idea... if you have something that you really want someone special to have, make arrangements to give it to them now. There's a lot of creative ways it can be done, and maybe even ways that you could continue to "borrow" it.

My grandaddy once sold me a Model 11 Remington for $.05... yes, a nickel.
But if anyone happened to ask, he had sold it, just the same.

As far as giving a gift of your own posessions to someone special, I guarentee you'll get more enjoyment from it now than you will when you're dead.

Don

I think if your that close to dying then you are obviously not
forging anything so you should have lots of time to give tools
away to someone who will use them. If they wont use
em, sell all.

I have and use both my grandfathers tools. Some are from my
great grandfather so i always have deep thoughts when i use em.

• 1 month later...

My father is not in the best of health, but ok.. he has given me most of whats in my shop, when he goes I get his gear... but in the here and now we trade pics and stories about our work in our shops... I have 1 of my fathers hammers and my grandfathers work bench..... every time I work I think of both of them!

wills and death and dying are tough and bring out a dark side in people, I don't understand why.

• 2 weeks later...

It might be cool to will them to an organization such as the local community college or historical society. A buddy of mine teaches the occasional blacksmithing class at our comm. college. He's teaching on some of the nastiest looking pieced together anvils you've ever seen.
Our local historical society is setting up a blacksmith shop at the heritage center in town. They've scoured the whole county and picked up forges, leg vises and the like. They have invited local smiths ( there's five of us here) to do demonstrations for school groups and such.
Our old tools can go to good uses. I don't feel good about my tools going to just anybody who knows how to use E Bay. I'd feel far better giving them to someone deserving that would appreciate the gift I've pased on to them.