I Forge Iron

One dog I'd never ever trust!

VaughnT

A step back in time, for sure.  I'm pretty certain that I've seen similar dogs around, but never knew what exactly they were used for.  Beautiful lines on the things and you can tell the smith took pride in the making.  I'd assume that all the local smiths had their own special flair they added to set their kit apart from the rest.  You can be certain that I'd never make one for someone to trust their life to, and I'm most definitely not going to work as a steeplejack!

Duct tape, not lashings but there's just not enough duct tape available. On the other hand I suppose it's a good enough living to make it more profitable to do it that way than install a steel ladder.

Lift? Oh yeah.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, anvil said:

Vaughn, i can't find  your question on H-13. Did you solve your problem? I did find Turley's article if you need it.

I haven't messed with the original punch, but he did send me a replacement that seems to be doing the job rather nicely.

Looking at that dog, I wonder what the angle of the taper needs to be.  Too fat a wedge and I think it'd pop right back out of the hole.  Too fine an angle, though, and you might not be able to drive it deep enough to get a good bite.

Maybe I'll have to play around with the notion next time I have a short length of 5/8" round left over.....

Why Wouldn't they have added a metal ladder in the build. Thats pretty high risk setting that up and they have to pay himto do it. Just not a thought on building it? Add on after...?! I mean he has been going up the same spot for years. 

I could never do it lol. Climbed a radio tower once in my youth but I'm terrified of heights now. I'd be shaking so bad I might knock the bricks down. 

It appears that they were placing the dogs in the same spots as before - so can I assume that after servicing/inspecting the chimney they remove the dogs on the way down and also fill in the holes with mortar ? I can see the removal to keep kids from climbing the chimney. Interesting subject no less.

Fred always pointed (filled the holes back up) on the way back down.

The technique worked for him and those before him, so why change it! His attitude towards work, and the workers of the past, was for me a great inspiration, and continues to be. Smiley face.

The only thing cringe worthy about fred, to me, was his attitute towards his first wives and daughters in the early days.

Still my one of my heroes!

Funny thing is, i have no fear of heights, but having been savaged by a trusted family dog ( instilling a fear of dogs that i cannot shake), i would sooner trust one of these!

On 7/21/2018 at 6:28 PM, wpearson said:

Rust.

Seems like masons could have built-in a stone ladder, or at least the necessary embeds to allow a climbing platform to function.  Lots of security ladders stop 10' off the ground so it takes a ladder to get to them which keeps all but the most enterprising kids off. 

The whole thing reminds me of a currently manufactured van.  Every feature appears to have been thoughtfully designed by someone who passionately hates drivers.  Yet, just like the Chimney job, there's somebody perfectly happy to make their living with it.

• 3 years later...

I had heard those dogs called 'sky hooks' when they were used to hold wooden notice boards to walls.

Dog basically means any device that grips like a dog.

Turners use a dog on a bar when turning between centres.  These dogs are usually straight and have a hole for the bar and a screw to tighten down on the bar.

I did see old video of ship builders bending ship ribs on a great cast iron floor plate. Workers fastened one end solid on edge of the plate and then heaved on the other to bend to the desired curve and then it was locked in place with a dog quite similar to Fred's.  Maybe they heaved a tighter curve than final so that when they released the dogs the rib would spring back a little.

We used "dogs" when I used to repair railcars.  It was a thick "L" shaped piece of steel you tacked on steel plate to align two pieces for tacking/welding.  You then drive a wedge under the dog with a sledge to pull the two into alignment.  This type of dog would indeed bite if your tack holding it broke in use!

For lighter material, you can tack weld the dog on one side, wedge and pull things into alignment, and then hit the dog with a hammer to break the tack welds loose. For heavier materials, use structural welds.  You can put a lot of pressure on things with that wedge.

That's a good point.  Our "tacks" were more like small skip welds and there were times that required welding the whole thing off.  We also used pad eyes and come-alongs to winch things into place and those were always welded off.  You had to use good judgement.