I Forge Iron

The Vise to end all Vices.

aaamax

Well guys, I hit the xxxxxx jackpot. I couldn't bring myself to just post it on the "it followed me home" I had t take it a step further. 

Was at a ranch a guy was selling and I saw this sitting outside next to some trash. he said he was in the process of cleaning up and getting rid of stuff. $50 later and a sore back getting it out of the trunk, I got this gem home.

over a meter in length and 17cm wide  jaws (7"?) and the thing weighs over 100#

Since it is so tall I think that I will just make a simple base on the floor (maybe some 1/2' flat stock with a hole to accommodate the foot?) to keep it off the ground and then anchor as usual to a bench. Any mounting suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

774AE005-D416-425D-B103-1A9912BF0334.jpeg

D7BE7E2F-B42D-44FF-A369-B32D3DA16C2C.jpeg

Edited by Mod34
Inappropriate language

Didn't even think of that! Indeed, that would have made it a whole lot easier. Maybe it was a sense of "getting out of there with the loot before he changes his mind" that kept me from thinking straight.

next time I will remember this for sure,

thanks.

I once bought a heavy 6" postvise soon after my old school appendectomy (5" cut through the abdominal muscles) and had to disassemble it to load it without doing myself an injury.

This was the vise I bought at a car repair place that was going out of business and advertised that they had been in the same location since 1918---so of course that had a complete smithing set up and wood working set up from back then.  The anvil went high though,,,

There is no need to quote what we all just read.

That is a gorgeous stand you made up for that big-boy. And BIG it is!  I will probably pattern my stand after yours.

Cheers.

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting

The problem was it was front heavy, and it weighs 300 plus lbs, once it started to go it’s imposible to stop . I’m looking to find a 400 pound anvil for the back end, I’ll never use it but it will look good. This pic shows my place for anvil.

image.jpg

I had my eye on a 300# Soderfors so I can relate. When you do get your monster anvil, I bet you will indeed use it. The rebound I have found on heavier anvils is sometimes unreal and once you get used to that, there is no going back.

Cheers mate!

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting

That's a beautiful vise  but that's not what it's for. Unless you're really tall, say in the 7' range it's too high. That vise is for beating on with sledge hammers and should be MUCH lower. Even drilling a hole in the floor to receive the leg it would be too high for me to make proper use of it. It also needs plenty of clear space around it to swing a double jack hammer. (That's two handed in old man speak)

Where you have it set now would be right for a bench anvil but that old beauty isn't made for file work, it's built to laugh at your biggest hammer and hardest swing. 

The anvil vise is pretty cool. Put it on a spread foot and it'll be plenty stable. Cut it from flat plate so you can stand on it without tripping over the structural shapes in the foot it's mounted in now. Id just cut a piece of plate that extends say 30 cm. wider and longer, bolt it to the existing foot and put it to work. If the plate's edge trip you bevel them. 

Beautiful set up you have. I drool at the thought of a 300 lb. Soderfors anvil, almost makes moving to Sweden sound like a good idea. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty!

I like the simple plate and lower height idea a lot. There is that slight knob at the end of the foot of the vise which then goes up to some shoulders about an inch above. Is it meant that the "shoulders" support the complete weight of the vise? If so, maybe just cut the correct size hole into the plate on the floor to accommodate the knob at the end of the foot and call it a day? This would bring the height of the jaws to just about knuckle level. What do think?

\Cheers!

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

aaamax" The pin sticking out of the bottom of the knob on the leg is intended to socket into the floor, mount, something solid. The knob distributes the force of heavy blows so the pin doesn't have to take it all.

Alexx: SWEET vise and nice stand if the upright flange of the angle iron base isn't a trip hazard. 

Frosty The Lucky.