I Forge Iron

Brand recommendation for oxyacetylene welding outfit

I would buy anything you can get local from your local welding company. Esp the bottles because if you buy them some places won't exchange them and you will wait for a refill plus its up to you to get them rechecked every 10 years or so. As far as a torch i have used them all. Harris is cheaper than Victor but you will never wear it out. I use Oxweld only because i got a pile of it free. You can get cylinders at Home depot now at least around here but the price is higher than the LWS. Some NAPA stores sell bottles also and you can swap them there...Bob

I have always preferred Victor personally, in my expierience it is much easier to find replacement tips for them than it is for other brands. I have used them all, and they all generally perform well, but with gas cutting and welding equipment I have found that you get what you pay for. If you can afford a Victor, Smith, or Harris torch set it will last you a few lifetimes if you take care of it. One thing to take into concideration is that you want to make sure that the torch set you get is equipped with reverse flow check valves and flash back arrestors (either built in tothe torch or connected to the supply hoses). Some of the older used torches and cheaper off brands don't have these essential saftey features. And though yes, the chances are slim that if used properly 99 out of 100 welders will not expierience a flashback, It's still worth a little extra to ensure your personal safty and eliminate the possible risk to your shop and everything else around it.

#1---Victor
Harris, Smith, and Oxweld, are all excellent torches, come in second. My personal preference is the Victor. 35+yrs in the trade and no problems with one. It's like Jose said about the ease of getting parts, tips, etc. for a Victor. Also, get the arresters and check valves, period. You may have to get them seperate from a LWS, but GET THEM! We need you around for a while longer! :) Check craigslist classifieds. I have seen complete rigs; bottles, hose, regulators, torches and tips fairly reasonable. Remember some gases will not allow you to oxy/fuel weld even tho you can cut with it.

It's all pretty much preferance. If it's clean work any of them are good. I'm used to terible conditions, with alot of grease dirt and water and I can tell you Victor has proven to outlast the others with Harris being second and no need to try a Smith. They are good torches but to sensitive for bad conditions.
Just my opinion
Travis

Your local welding supplier may or may not have torch "sets " hanging on the wall. This inc torch set and regulators and may or may not inc checkvalves ( flashback suppressors). My checkvalves are on the regulator end and I had to buy them seperately. The selection of tips in the set will be a consideration ( you may have the option of a rosebud ). My current set ( 5-6 years ago) is a Smith because the set was $ 169.95 IIRC. The old regulators finally were to the point that they would not economically re-build although the torch was good to go. I bought a Henrob torch a few years ago and weld with it ( was using it on old regulators ). The new Smith torch set pretty much sets in the box ( exception rosebud a few times ) but the regulators were what I needed. I also use a Smith gas saver valve. I have picked up a LOT of information over the years from this site and others regarding equipment. Thanks Glenn ( and the list could go on for many other folks ). BTW if you have no training in bottles or torches I would strongly suggest you get the training. Bottles are missles and acetelyne/propane have different issues to consider regarding fuel gasses. Hose connections /regulator connections as well. Don't mean to preach.The net can teach you a lot. A course in torch safety and use should teach you what you need to know. Acetelyne welding works very nicely in my business. You will notice that you have recieved several different brand loyalty posts and yes I have used them all ( Harris for LP too ). Where are you in the world ?

Edited by Ten Hammers

rfdecarter
go to the top of the forum page and click on user cp
click on edit profile
go to the bottom of the page, enter your location and save.

We would like to know where in the world you are located.

I have used Smith, Harris, and Victor over the years. Never really got along with Smith. I was glad employer switched to Harris but my all time favorite is Victor. I have a Victor my dad gave me and have never had a problem with it. Its older than I am and the only reason I would replace it is its size. I would prefer a smaller lighter one, but the price was right ;)

I am gonna have to agree with the previous posts.......

My old boss had Smiths , and we always had trouble getting tips in the size we wanted . The tips were pricey if I remember right too.

Ive been doing structural steel for over twenty years and I like the Victors , they are comfortable, and parts and accesories are everywhere.

Good luck.......chrisp

I use Smith at the school I go to. They are very nice, but I personally like the Victor over them all. My reason for this is I like using my thumb to operate the oxygen cutting lever instead of my fingers. (I get a better/more steady of a hold on the torch that way.) But Smith is the best on the market to my knowledge.

Victor is hands down the best as far as easy to get parts, quality, and will last a life time if taken care of, they cost a little more than most but is worth the $....but that's my opinion, however it is based on years of useing all brands and still have sets that my grandfather used in his body shop (Victor).

welder19

• 4 weeks later...

Steve (Ten Hammers) is so right about a Henrob torch; I have to thank Garey Ford for introducing me to it. All the other A/O torches are great and I still occasionally use mine, but once I added a Henrob rig to my shop I noticed a massive reduction in tank refills. Just another handy tool with its own niche area. For those not familiar with a Henrob, consider checking this link:

Henrob 2000

I have some Smiths. They are "vintage." Victor parts fit-tips and all. One(small size) is what some call "aircraft" because of its fine reputation among experimental airplane builders- that is what I have been told by builders. My large is marked Smith as well; same "standard" threads. That one I have rebuilt and used Victor seals. Dillon-Henrob-Cobra- invented by an Australian gent. My present one is my second. It does everything that the advertising claims. My first was before a long reach tip was offered- occasionally that was frustrating. I also own the "Little Torch." A zero tip on the Dillon( that is what I call them because that is the first brand I had) will come close to the delicacy of the "LT." I think that they cut cleaner- that might just be that I have never been particularly great at cutting. If I could make one change in the Dillon- I would have a carbon fiber or glass filled heat resistant "plastic" for the clamshell handles- maybe even stamped aluminum or magnesium alloy. My tanks are owned- the tote set and the ones that are standard diiameter but only about 3 feet or less tall. Here in Iowa we have S. J. Smith stores at five locations- main store here in Davenport. I also own my argon and 25/75 tanks- can't recall the number for those- about 7" diameter and 2 feet tall- I have 2 of the mix and just the one argon. My mig is a Lincoln SP170- it is a good little "work-pony." After all of this unneccessary rambling, I agree that Victor is the top for conventional O/A equipment.jet

I love my Smith, But to be fair for comparison, its a "Little Torch" the jewelry set up, small, tiny, great for my knife work. The 3 smallest tips have synthetic sapphires for the jets and produce a flame that can barely be seen in strong light, so a very localized heat.

i have a travel victor, and a medium size victor, both great torches. use them often. just a week ago i was poken around in my grandfathers shop and came across a dillon, or henrob as seems to be the new name. i just stated playing with it and he gave it to me. ive only spent maybe 20 minuets fiddelin around with this thing but im vary excited to see what it can do! my OXY knob seems to be pretty stuck, guess that happens after 10 or 20 years sitting there. i know that its dangerous to use any type of grease or oil on torches(BOOM). so what can i use to ease it up, graphite powder?

• 3 weeks later...

Andrei, Cutting 6" plate or thicker LOL.

After buying and using my Henrob, I can now kick myself for ever buying my 50 amp plasma cutter that requires a steady supply of Dry air. DRY air in Mudville, USA? That would be like a having an actual snowball fight in Arizona someday!

A Henrob needs to be attached in place of a standard A/O torch and uses the A/O rig's gauges, regulators, hoses, and tanks. Only changes to be made are the pressure settings on the regulators as a Henrob torch operates best at the recommended manufacturer's 4# setting on both tanks, thus the economical gas consumption. It works great for welding, small isolated, drawing temper colors, cutting, piercing, etc. For general shop use buy the complete A/O rig and torches. Later add a Henrob to your equipment; you will be glad you did!