I Forge Iron

traditional Nepalese blacksmiths and forges.

Gubilok tennerman

These blacksmiths were born into the trade their fathers and grandfathers were too.their last name is blacksmith in their language please scroll down to see their 12 pound sledgehammer anvil and an earthen forge with a small piece of steel on top! than look at the quality of their khukuris .the one i got has an integral hand guard 1 inch thick and a pommel that is nice.and heavy duty!!!

https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/khhi-kamis-the-makers

I never seem to get the meaning, innuendo or hidden message when this links are posted.

What is it? Stop winging that your anvil is too small? Feel guilty that my work is not up to their standards? Wonder at what they would be able to do (that I do not) if they had my workshop?

Political content deleted.

Edited by Mod34
Criticism of other cultures is unacceptable political content

This forum is easily offended,hence i apologize.i just wanted this forum to see a small country's forges ,blacksmiths and products.

From now on i will not post offensive posts.this is the second one i got hated for.Why so much hate?

No one is posting any hateful things.

Ken, I'm sure there is no 'hate' here. Perhaps some members may have seen the link you provided many times over, so are a little intolerant. But not hate.

I found the post interesting, as I hadn't seen it before. Perhaps some would see it as a commercial link. I don't know.

Stay with us, research well and think carefully about your posts. There is so much to be learnt here.

I think you miss read the intent. Yes we have seen this link before, we are pleased to have a new generation see it. The new guys who are waiting to start smithing because they can’t find a real anvil are full of it, they are just waiting. 

If you had offended anyone you would have been told so in very plain language.we who beat hot steel are generally not of the passive aggressive bent

These Forums are for asking questions. We do ask you check first to make sure it's not one asked once a week for the last 10 years as the answers don't change much.  Also we can't guarantee that you will like the answer you get.  If you are a gentle soul who does not do well in the hurly burly of an international forum, (and this is considered a very "nice" on compared to the many flame wars seen in others!) we will understand.  No need to tell us, just stop visiting.  Also if some people just rub you the wrong way you can put them on your ignore list on your profile page and never see another posting by them!

5 hours ago, Ken Soltys said:

This forum is easily offended,hence i apologize.i just wanted this forum to see a small country's forges ,blacksmiths and products.

From now on i will not post offensive posts.this is the second one i got hated for.Why so much hate?

Chill, brother. I don't think anyone was attacking you in the slightest. no one is offended, and nobody hates you. I think you just misunderstood Marc 1's post. He was venting a little, but not at you. As stated, the Nepal guys get posted a lot, usually by people new to the forum.  I think Marc 1 was just wondering why it is they get brought up so much.

Its a beautiful day in your neighborhood.  The sun is shining, the tank is clean. Nobody's out for your scalp.

Links, pictures, videos of people in appalling conditions squatting over a rudimentary fire and a rock or some other form of makeshift anvil are posted from time to time and not only by new people. So it is not about you Ken, and no, I am not offended at all. 

My point is not you, or whoever else posts this images, but my inability to understand why they are posted. Clearly they are not situations, places or work conditions anyone in his right mind would like to copy, and a bit of research in the history of so many of this places would tell you what they do with the product of their labour and how this products go to feed the hate they have against each other. There are other very interesting smiths, like the gunsmiths in the Philippines who have the remarkable ability  to reproduce Glocks, Colts and Ak47 from scrap metal to feed the black market, the smiths in africa making spears and machete to kill each other etc etc. 

I worked in a smithy and learned to blacksmith from european smith who in turn learned from other smith in europe for centuries, in germany, france, spain and italy. Their work among thousands of other smiths is on public display on churches, parks and private houses. When i bend a flat bar into a scroll I invariably remember how I learned and who I learned from and in my mind, I hope to make them proud.  

[Political content deleted.] We are each one of us, the makers of our own destiny. Let's follow all that is good and noble and make it into something that others will admire and attempt to reproduce. The art of blacksmithing is one that can be used for good or evil. i would love to see videos posted that I can admire and that teach me something and prompt me to go in the workshop and make something my kids or grandkids would be proud of.  

Today is Anzac day in Australia. Today we remember those who fought in different wars defending our values, freedom and way of life. I want to build on that freedom that cost so many lives. 

Edited by Mod34
Criticism of other cultures is unacceptable political content

Marc - actually most posts like this is to show how simply blacksmithing can be done with minimal equipment, lots of new guys think they need presses, power hammers, all the fancy stuff before they know how metal moves with just a hand hammer, as has been done for way longer than any powered equipment. There are thousands of people doing great work with a hand hammer only, no power hammer etc. Just because someone wants to do pattern welded billets for knives is no reason to have to buy a power hammer or a press, a hand hammer works great, as many great knife makers on this site already do.....by hand.

13 hours ago, Marc1 said:

Today is Anzac day in Australia. Today we remember those who fought in different wars defending our values, freedom and way of life. I want to build on that freedom that cost so many lives. 

Absolutely. Lest we Forget.

Marc, I fear I may skirt outlet close to politics [political content deleted] And historically those appalling working conditions are what European culture are built on. Tho I see the value in your position and comments, I see the  value of Ken reminding us that great smithing can be done with simple tools. I will ring the anvil for the Australian veterans and their comrades who didn’t make it home, we own them a dept for if nothing else being stalwart alies.

10 lashes will now be administered to bike cop (with over cooked pasta)...