I Forge Iron

basement shop

I think it's wishful thinking Steve. 

Thomas: How much is enough ventilation  if you use an induction forge?  Not that the $5,000 for the bare bones minimum unit could build you a nice little outdoor shop or rehab a covered trailer. 

All jokes aside Fuzzy. NO!

Frosty The Lucky.

Actually, if you went for a 2 hr rated enclosure in your basement, with a rated shaft up to the roof for your flue, added combustion/ventilation air intakes at the peak and bottom of the basement, worked in at least 10 air changes per hour using general exhaust/flue, added enough makeup air (being sure not to freeze your pipes in the winter), piped in your propane tank from the home exterior, got CO monitors for every zone and convinced your insurance agent to sell you a rider it is probably possible.  I would think it a bit easier to built a detached shed though, or just work on something like jewelry or locksmithing during months when working outside isn't practical.

Fuzzy don't consider the basement good option.  Theoretically anything is possible and I think that's the point Latticino was making, but if you burn down your house accidentally with your forging activities it's highly likely....well...for sure likely that your insurance company will not cover the loss because you didn't tell them you had a forge in your basement.  You also have to think of those that also live in your house.  Hot air rises and so will the combustion gases.  Maybe you have plenty of ventilation but the rest of your house could fill with Carbon Monoxide. 

I actually understand your temptation as I have a garage in the basement where the door could be opened and I have a chimney that a hood could be attached to in order to vent the combustion gases.  To me the risks greatly outweigh the benefits so for now I have to wheel everything outside and wheel it back inside, but my family is safe and I have no risk of burning my house down. 

Depending on code in your area, you can build a lean-two type structure on a weekend with a few hundred dollars or with scrounged materials.  Sure, that doesn't help in the winter, but hey I had a really cold and snowy winter this year and didn't forge anything from Dec - Mid March.  Yeah, that sucks, but I used that time to get my tools in order and look for new tools at junk shops.  Now I'm building a new shop addition away from the house that will have ample ventilation etc.

I've forged in my basement when I lived in Ohio: a drafty 100+ year old space. I made a "single soft firebrick forge" powered by a cheap plumbers propane torch---the kind that doesn't have a hose but connects directly to a small bottle.  I hot forged  silver into viking/celtic jewelry  and forged all the nails for my Mastermyr chest variant. 

No problems with the small amount of exhaust---you could watch the crude curtains move around the crude windows with the breeze outside and even more so when the furnaces lit off in the other room.

With a larger forge I would want to try to run it in a metal "box" and exhaust all the output and probably have dedicated make up air as well.

Forges in the basement of cariage manufacture shops was pretty standard practice. Honestly solid fuel forges are not much different  from  fire places and gas forges are not all that different from gas cooking appliances. The fact that co sinks as dose propane, and fire goes up magnifies the potential for disaster. 

Most basment walls are nonflammable, and the floore structure generaly will resist a 1/2 hour or more of fire, adding 3 sheets of 1/2 hour rated drywall or two and a layer of coragated time paying particular attention to fire blocking and fire rated caulking is possible. 

Taking the flue out the side, such as a window well aliviates the fire rated flue chase. Ventilation is still an isue, but fresh make up air for the forge and possibly aditional ventilation is not all that difficult tho manage. Fire suppression equipment, co and fuel gas alarms and religiously keeping the shop clean wile using nonflammable materials for benches and such is a must. If you think about it, furnaces, boilers and such have been hidden in basements for a century or more. 

That said, low ceilings and dragging heavy equipment and forging up and down threw the access hatch or inside stairwell isn’t going to be much fun. Nor is oilquenching going to be recommended. But a small forge for small work is doable, but if you don’t dot all the “I”s and cross all the “T”s you will potentially creat a hazard for your home and loved ones, and even if you do your home owners insurance is not going to look kindly on you.   

It's a common misconception due to the the old detectors often needing to be plugged in, and sockets being at the bottom of the wall, so people assumed that's where they need to go. 

The recommended position for the Co detectors is at head height... And obvious this will be different depending on the rooms main function (sleeping, sitting, standing, etc) 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  1. There have been some very successful basement shops in the past. There are probably some now too. Propane is a problem in a basement since it settles to the floor and collects there waiting for ignition. Coal works fine and as stated above a flue can go out the window and up the outside wall. There was a full time professional shop in suburban Maryland for many years that was in a basement.

Thomas, when I was younger I had great night vision and though I have astigmatism in both eyes I could see in the dark well enough.. 

I had 4 100watt bulbs and I thought I was in heaven..   Everything was much different color of metal wise when i came out into the light. 

This picture was taken in the shop at the work bench.. The color or brightness is correct.. 

I'd spend 12 hrs a day in the dungeon..   That's what I used to call it..   It resembled a dungeon actually.. 

Suffolk latch bean (9).png

20170328_172525.jpg

I think you can get away with a basement shop if you have coal, but propane seems like a bad idea.  I think for me the issue is insurance.  If someone operates a forge in their basement and a fire results, I'm pretty sure the insurance company won't cover the loss and will probably drop you from coverage knowing you have a forge in your basement.  

I personally would love to have my forge in my basement.  I have the perfect set-up for it with a nice chimney right there to vent everything out, but it's too risky with my gas forge.  

I once had a water leak at one of my old houses and called my helpful insurance agent who'd been faithfully cashing my insurance payment checks for the last 8 years without fail.  The adjuster came and the damage was around $5,000.  He got done and looked at me and told me he'd cancel my policy if I made another claim at that amount.  Gee, I thought that's what insurance was for, to cover unforeseen loses :D  Silly me.

To bring this back around to blacksmithing, I can just imagine how fast they'd deny a claim and cancel your policy if something happened with a forge.  

When a large company is sued, the losses are just passed onto the consumer with higher prices..   

Years ago I took a business course on business management,  logistics  .

It shown clearly how its always the little people who pay.  Some way, some how, the corps wil always get the money, 

Look at cell phone, or cable or electric Bill's with line charges, usage taxes, etc..etc