I Forge Iron

Watering Can

Here's a little thing I banged out the other day; a real necessity for selective quenching of stock, or watering your coal in the fire; previously I had been muddling along with just a soup can, but a couple of decent steam burns showed me the error of my ways.  This keeps my hands out of the way of the steam puff, and also keeps my gloves dry, both nice things.  It hangs right by my fire shovel, pick, and slice on the edge of the forge.  The soup can just snaps in, so when it wears or rusts out, I'll just pop in another one.

IMG_1371.thumb.JPG.e143c271529ca2856e6482c995a575c3.JPG

And if you poke some holes in the bottom of the can, you can use it to sprinkle the fire rather than pouring the water on. Get creative and only poke a couple holes off to one side and you can still use it as a pour or sprinkle.

Nice work on the wrap around holding the can. I just made a flat L section and welded the can onto mine. Also I took another can cut it and fit it in the top ( kind of making a closed can again) then cut half the circle out of it and poked holes in the other half to use as a sprinkler sort of as JME mentioned but a little different. It fills up easy and I can tilt one way to use as a sprinkler and the other to pour normal. 

From the archive

Leah Fuller said

I really don't see what all the fuss is with making a watering can for the coal forges.

It would seems that you could get a good watering can at the flea market for $1.00 and just paint it pink.

Wcan3.jpg

Next time you open a can of broth or stock only punch a few holes in one end. Rinse it out and it makes a very controllable watering can. You fill it by submerging it and control the sprinkle by how far you turn it. 

No need for something fancy unless you want.

Frosty The Lucky.

I use a 1lbs coffee can with the handle just so..  98% of the time no matter how you throw it into the bucket its hook will grab the side of the tub..  I found any size smaller than this while handy (I do have one). is not as effective when needed to cool off larger stock sizes..  

When you are trying to isolate a section in the middle of the bar and you can dip the rod into the slack tub having the extra water in the can comes in super handy as you won't need to stick the can back into the water which will disrupt the surface and change the water height splashing against the metal.. 

This was the 3rd design..  I started out much smaller and this was the final evolution 30 years ago..  Where I used to live the water was better an a can would last 6-7 years.. here they only last about 2 years if it is not stored in the tub.. 

20180413_111540.jpg

20180413_111548.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @jlpservicesinc; I really appreciate the compliment.  I like yours as well; between you and the other commenters, I am going to knock out another one with holes for sprinkling the fire - hopefully make less water do more work that way.  Maybe I'll try a hybrid with a pour on one side, sprinkle on the other.  I'm just getting back to the home forge from a few weeks on the road, so there's lots to do.

You certainly can do that, but it will be overkill..  One can or 2 in different sizes.. I like the 1lbs as it holds as much water as I need with 2 dips..  if I need to pour it there is plenty of water in the can to use and if I need to sprinkle the fire or coal with it  there is plenty there also..