I Forge Iron

stolen anvil

straycat_74

recently I moved out and had to use a local mover on short notice. this weekend he unloaded my stuff after 6 months storage so I could finally get back to my life.(long story, not relevant) and my anvil is missing. my 138lbs 120+ year old Peter Wright Anvil, is "missing". it's one of a dozen things that didn't end up back at my place after the storage period.

my heart is broken, and most of my home brewing equipment is as well.but my ANVIL.  I wanna hurt someone.

SO I am out of the forging thing... because I'm not good enough to actually SELL anything... until I can Power Hammer, or get my anvil, or a replacement.

and JUST to rub salt into the wounds, I'm an over the road truckdriver, I have to leave in the morning and will not be back for 2 weeks.

the mover has repeatedly claimed he was going to return my stuff, but I think he's just delaying sincehe's now trying to place a lein against my truck and my motorcycle "until I pay him"

and I found out today that he has a criminal record

IMr. Cat,

What a rotten series of events I suggest that you contact the Wisconsin Attorney General"s office, for some information and direction.

Does the state require that movers carry insurance?

There may be possible criminal liability if the mover/storage company is holding onto your property. Also civil liability.

Contact an attorney or "legal aid" clinic if money is a problem. Also, the local law school will have a student legal aid service for third year law students. They are closely supervised by experienced, knowledgeable lawyers, and can act on your behalf if you meet the qualifications. You should consider getting such help before you go on the road because time seems to be of the essence. Especially if this miscreant is contemplating having a lien placed on your assets. An attorney could represent you even if you are out of town due to necessity.

I never practiced consumer nor criminal law. (I am retired & I specialized in patent & licensing law). So the above notes are suggestions for your consideration, & to make further enquiries.

Just a few thoughts for you to consider.

Good luck with it.

And happy Easter for all the gang at i.f.i. !

SLAG

p.s. some of the local newspapers or T.V. stations may have consumer help features that could be contacted.

That is really low. I can only imagine how you feel. I do hope you get that anvil back. Surely you must have some access to legal help. I don't know what your set-up is in the U.S. but SLAG has given you some good guidelines above. Best of luck!

Another possible resource, local blacksmiths. Anvils find smiths, and smiths find anvils. Do you have any pictures? To the average person (if they know what an anvil is) they all look alike. But after 120 years chances are it will have its share of battle scars, and could easily identified, by a fellow smith.

Typically rebound measured in percentages, in this case, hope it bounces back in time. 

Best of luck

N.N.F.                   Beautiful, Manchester, Michigan. USA 

Sounds like a police report to start. I believe the mover and storage company's liability is called "abailment" or "bailment". meaning in grossly general terms that when they accepted your property into their possession they became liable for it's safe return.

They should be licensed ad bonded as well. 

Not being around to prosecute the theft has got to be a killer, I know the feeling. I lost a lot of tools, books, stock and even work to a thief. Even knowing who it was and where my property was did little good, I didn't have receipts so I was SOL couldn't prove I owned any of it. That's why I put my shop colors on everything and take pics. 

Getting in touch with the local smithing organization is a good idea, they might even send out the hounds. I don't know of a smith who likes thieves or would buy stolen stuff. Maybe a midnight visit from half a dozen angry blacksmiths with a forge and pincers? Just joking don't do anything illegal, you want to be on the high ground if it comes to a head.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

The gentleman (Mr. Cat) and the moving company/storage company have a contract for services. That company has contracted to provide a service and Mr. Cat has contracted to pay for those services.

A bailment is NON contractual. One party delivers some (personal) property to another, but there is NO transfer of ownership. Such transfer is usually temporary, It is not a gift. And, usually, there is no payment for that relationship

There are three types of bailment. Mutual benefit, & Bailor benefit, (i.e. the owner donor), or Bailee benefit. The first one is self explanatory. The second type would be e.g. the owner goes on vacation and entrusts the property to the bailee for safe keeping. The third type would arise where the property owner lends the item to the bailee for his use. (benefit).

Wikipedia describes it succinctly. Try,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailment

Frosty's police report idea is a good one.

Some jurisdictions have disallowed movers from impounding all the property of the other party pending payment. Such ransom demands are, in Me. SLAG's opinion,   outrageous.

I hope these comments help Mr. Cat.

SLAG.

• 1 month later...

local police said that since I "Invited him into my home" and "contracted with him for services" that there was nothing they could do. they suggested a lawyer and sue him.

Turns out (name redacted) he's a pedophile, child rapist, registered sex offender, convicted felon, and Meth addict (none of which did he admit to when I hired him on short notice) the lawyers said it'd cost me $6,000 to sue him, and as a meth-head he ain't got nothing worth taking so I'd be xxxxxxx good money after bad.

tried local newspaper, but they refuse siting 'libel and slander' as unpublishable.

the stress from fighting this for the last three months led me to make a stupid mistake which has now cost me my job of 7.5 years as an OTR truck driver. I'll be unemployable as a trucker for at least a year, along with loosing at least count some $12,000 worth of tools (anvil included) and personal affects including the Marlin Spike knife my grandfather carried for the duration of WWII while he was on Destroyers in the pacific. (that knife was the only thing I had to remember him by).

*Sighs* so yeah. none of my friends or family will help. I've tried reaching out to the local blacksmithing and knife making communities, but I got banned from most for "Begging"

broke, robed, fired, hopeless and helpless. I'm at my wits end, guys...

here are pictures of my anvil, the one with me leaning over it was taken the day I got it. there'sa  couple vids on my youtube of me using my anvil...

I'm in tears here.

13585229_1252852561394675_6383865836434681853_o.jpg

13603280_1248874421792489_4580295865831865214_o.jpg

13606484_1252852421394689_4255386727095278873_n.jpg

13631590_1252852424728022_6379428446115976748_n.jpg

13645125_1252852418061356_7677208977594889621_n.jpg

13661819_1252852498061348_5513515380859590224_o.jpg

20160703_150146.jpg

20160703_150225.jpg

20160703_150225_edit.jpg

20160703_152143.jpg

20160703_152155.jpg

20160703_152213.jpg

20160703_152223.jpg

20160703_152245.jpg

20160703_152248.jpg

IMG_20160709_200313.jpg

IMG_20160709_200336.jpg

On 3/31/2018 at 1:12 AM, SLAG said:

IMr. Cat,

What a rotten series of events I suggest that you contact the Wisconsin Attorney General"s office, for some information and direction.

Does the state require that movers carry insurance?

they do, but the ... JERK (I promise I'm trying not to swear here) was operating without a business license, no insurance, and refused to sign a contract.

On 3/31/2018 at 3:43 PM, Frosty said:

Sounds like a police report to start. I believe the mover and storage company's liability is called "abailment" or "bailment". meaning in grossly general terms that when they accepted your property into their possession they became liable for it's safe return.

They should be licensed ad bonded as well.

See my above reply. unbonded, unlicenced, uninsured.

Good Morning, StrayCat

The one being hurt, is YOU. If the establishment can't and won't help, you have to let the problem go. Focus on positive things, good friends, family and forward thinking. If you let the problem eat you up, You are the only one hurting. There is no pool of blood on the ground, nobody lost the ability to breathe Air, it is not a Life or Death problem.

Good luck moving forward with your life and finding a new Job. New Tools, you can make!!

Neil