I Forge Iron

Easy Forge Burner Build

American Piddler

Given that the .023" Mig tip is the smallest available, the burn does look pretty rich (reducing).

What it looks like out of a forge is fairly meaningless: there are plenty of rich-running burners doing precisely what they need to do (I don't recall this being specified in the video).

With the caveat that digital cameras can really mess with color, that looks like a perfectly adequate forging temperature to me. The video on the other thread looks like a good forging temperature, but probably not a good welding temperature {though I could be wrong).

If the forge does what it is intended to do, no changes are needed.

There is a lot of Dragons Breath in the video, so if needed there should be scope for increasing the flame temperature with more air relative to the gas.

A smaller gas jet would increase air, relative to gas, but is effectively ruled out by smaller mig tips being unavailable.

The burner looks very much like a Frosty Tee with some, probably unhelpful, changes. It's not clear why the changes have been made: The build seems to require all the same tools as the Frosty Tee, but with the addition of a welder. It does not seem to offer improved performance in its current form.

My guess would be that the hex end cap offers some obstruction to airflow, and that the depth of the hex end cap also causes the gas jet to be further into the throat than is optimum for air induction. 

If the burner will not achieve the required temperature as it is, there is some scope for trimming back the mig tip to try to increase induction. If this does not get it there, it seems likely that the hex cap will need to be re-welded with a reduced insertion depth to reduce the obstruction to airflow.

Between about 12.35 and 12.50, the video tells us not to use Galvanized pipe because welding it is bad for ones health. This is a couple of seconds after welding on a PTFE tape-sealed joint. Scary.

I'd suggest the video poster (Ezra?) do a little research into the thermal decomposition products of PTFE and their health effects, then post an appropriate warning with the Youtube video.  

Ezra: Please don't encourage people to do things YOU don't have a clue about. I don't mind people copying what I put up for an easy effective burner build, that's why I developed the thing and posted illustrated instructions after all. At least follow them will you please? You've made a bunch of pointless changes that make a LOT more work for a less effective and more dangerous device.

Let's talk about basic shop safety shall we? Please don't encourage people to drill holes without clamping the work, drilling a 3/4" hole while holding the work in your HAND is a good way to be a blood piddler. Tim covered welding on teflon tape, you MIGHT want to read up on breathing phosgene in any quantity. It's one of the few things that toxicity is more a matter of kind than dosage. 

At least you're pleased with the aesthetics, there has to be something positive about this video how NOT TO.

Frosty The Lucky.

35 minutes ago, blacksmith-450 said:

BTW Frosty, did you use «USA parts» when you have develop your T-Burner ? ;)

When I was developing it American made was what was available. Now, who knows? I don't really care for affectations, results are all that really matter.

I'm starting to understand already...I by no means claimed this as my own or original and didn't try to steal anything or say it was better than someone else's... real warm welcome here lol no worries I enjoyed the build and it does what it was built to do if no one here can see that then that's on them.... 

4 hours ago, blacksmith-450 said:

I do not know why but I still be uncomfortable seeing someone take another person's idea and make it their own.

Especially when it complicates the initial concept.

But it's only me ... :(

BTW Frosty, did you use «USA parts» when you have develop your T-Burner ? ;)

Btw.... I've never claimed this as my own or that it's better.... I also don't find this complicating anything especially since I don't know what Frosty did but will definitely check it out and may use it instead! 

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

When I was developing it American made was what was available. Now, who knows? I don't really care for affectations, results are all that really matter.

This is true results are all that matter and I'm guessing from what I'm hearing about your design it gets a better result.... 

I'm sure nobody is trying to be rude or anything, but Mike literally wrote the book, one of them anyways, on this. Frosty is also a well regarded designer of burners. Neither of their advice should be disregarded.

I didn't watch the video with sound so forgive me if you mentioned it, but with the jet being welded in place how can you make fine adjustments to it's angle?

One more thing, PLEASE for the love of Dog don't make videos welding w/o gloves. I know that some people will do what you are doing here and just make a few welds but there are many people that will look at that and think welding bare handed is OK. I have seen ads for welding equipment showing what can only be described as "beef cake" models welding in a tight fitting black tee-shirt to try and convey the same type of message as the Marlboro Man. "Look at this guy, he is a Man's Man!" People will see your video and identify with you and want to emulate you. I liked the video and you seem like an approachable type people can identify with. That means you have a responsibility to act in the safest manner you can. 

Overall good video but listen to the people here they have seen many many things.

Ernest  

17 hours ago, eseemann said:

One more thing, PLEASE for the love of Dog don't make videos welding w/o gloves. I know that some people will do what you are doing here and just make a few welds but there are many people that will look at that and think welding bare handed is OK. I have seen ads for welding equipment showing what can only be described as "beef cake" models welding in a tight fitting black tee-shirt to try and convey the same type of message as the Marlboro Man. "Look at this guy, he is a Man's Man!" People will see your video and identify with you and want to emulate you. I liked the video and you seem like an approachable type people can identify with. That means you have a responsibility to act in the safest manner you can. 

Overall good video but listen to the people here they have seen many many things.

Ernest  

Ernest,

Very well said! Your concerns about welding gloves makes since yes it was a small weld for a brief moment bit could imply that welding bare handed is okay when it most definitely isn't.... I appreciate your approach & respect your opinion thank you kindly for the feedback & also the kind word's of encouragement at the end with that I will get back to Piddling a little safer this time!

Ezra, if you’re responding to the very last comment, there’s no need to quote the entire thing. If you’re responding to an earlier comment or a small piece of a long one, highlight what you’re addressing and click the “Quote this” button that will pop up. Over-long quotes eat up bandwidth and slow down pages loading for our members who use dial-up. 

Good to know, I have a nephew that has a buddy and they watch the King of Random on YouTube and want to build all sort of things like a DIY Plasma cutter and carbon arc welder from stuff around the house. This is the guy that plugs a single wire in to two different 110v outlets to get 220v. These outlets are in his house, where he lives and when I say wire I mean take the type of 3 conductor wire from Home Despot and strip one conductor.

image.png.0e5408c694d722c2320898d2808b0ebc.png

And just in case this has not been said, you might want to post your location. People can't turn you on to the good scrap yard action if you don't know what state you live in.

In addition to the other comments - the mig tip is not tapped straight - which means it's not pointed down the center line of the burner tube.  Using the drill press as tap center trick mentioned in Frosty's blueprints got me past that problem.

I think some of this comes down to: Experience! Should one post how to's when they have a fairly low level of it?  Myself when I needed surgery this year, I selected a Dr that had literally done thousands of the procedure over 30 years with good rated outcomes.  If I was building a propane burner I would try to find the designs worked up by people with decades of experience making and using them.  I expect they would be easier and simpler to build and work very well indeed.

Now I know the internet is the home of "My opinion is just as good as anyone else's" .  But I do not consider that a plus.

On 11/11/2017 at 2:40 PM, timgunn1962 said:

What it looks like out of a forge is fairly meaningless: there are plenty of rich-running burners doing precisely what they need to do (I don't recall this being specified in the video).

Rich flame in equals dragon's breath out. On the other hand, lots of such burners heat forges up just fine, as you stated. This is one of those factors, that isn't necessarily a problem. But something that needs to be understood; not just excepted on the one hand, nor argued about on the other.

On 11/13/2017 at 12:20 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I think some of this comes down to: Experience! Should one post how to's when they have a fairly low level of it?  Myself when I needed surgery this year, I selected a Dr that had literally done thousands of the procedure over 30 years with good rated outcomes.  If I was building a propane burner I would try to find the designs worked up by people with decades of experience making and using them. 

Some of chose to believe it takes an expert and others will see the simplicity of it all.... the how to above will do exactly as intended.... somewhere there's always something better so I'll wait for your how to video.... now again until my post here well after the fact I had made a burner I did not know anything about the frost tee.... do I agree that it is a better design with more flexibility for tuning yup.... do I still know that what I built will Get r Hot enough to pound r Hard yup so either way it's a learning experience and if we can't learn then we have some serious troubles ahead

IMG_20171121_104909_213.jpg