I Forge Iron

Ideas for Christmas 2017

Christmas 2017 is less than 90 days away.

We need some ideas so we can turn them into Christmas gifts this year. Gifts, home decorations, tree decorations, outside decorations, etc etc. 

Simple things, not so simple things, and some over the top ideas, as long as we can get them finished before the end of December. 

Well Glen, a good project is making 3-D snowflakes. John Bennett (linked to this site) has a u-tube video of how to make them. Heck he even mentions me in the small snowflake vid. Although, he did pronounce my last name wrong......

Shoot my wife even likes them...Problem was, she had to have glitter on them. Do you have any idea what would happen if I showed up with glitter on me somewhere? Got it figured out though and life is good......gotta make a bunch more. Thanks for the reminder......

Life is Good                                      Dave

Currently working on getting the local metal shop to order me some nickel steel for it. I'll definitely be posting once I start.

No offense but that seems like pretty expensive candy canes. Just be cheap like me and twist some angle iron, or champher two mild steel bars, forge weld them together and then twist, that way you still have that nice dividing mark.

Yeah, but I don't like many people so I don't have to make very many ;)

Love the suggestions, so they may get made. How would you curl the angle iron twists without getting a gap at top? I'm having that issue with plain twists when I try to make rings.

The Nickel way It's practice for patterned knife billets too. 

A very simple Christmas ornament. It's called The Christmas Nail. I make mine out of a scrap piece of about 3/8 round stock squared and drawn to a point 6 to 7 inches long,100_1876.thumb.JPG.1e85955bab0b53ec1d9cc05c56d2d93c.JPG then upset the top to a spike head. They have been received well as gifts and sold well at craft fairs. The red ribbon signifies the Blood of Christ and the card explains the rest of the story.

• 1 month later...

hey everybody the metal i have is a lot of 1/2 inch square stock, and some flat stock that is anywhere from 2 1/2 inchs wide X 1/8 inch thick to some pieces that are 4 inches wide by 1/4 inch thick and anything in between and i wanted to know of ideas for things i could forge for Christmas gifts for family and friends any ideas would be very helpful

Thanks for the link JHCC....that's what I wanted to post.

1 hour ago, Dillion Brian Grant said:

How would I go about making them?

The link posted by JHCC should explain it very well....just change the cut ratios to match your 1/2" stock. Although John pronounced my name wrong....I am the Dave he mentions in the vid.....paint em' white, blue or whatever add some glitter and drill a hole for an ornament hook and you won't be able to make em' fast enough.               Life is Good                      Dave

Nth, what I'm good at is knife making, I'm still just stating out wi th blacksmithing

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Caltrops?   Candle holders?   Hoof picks? Saw tooth trammels?  Mini froes for kindling splitting? What would they like and what are you good at?

Tbh what im good at is knofemaking, i honestly aint worth a darn blacksmithing yet

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Caltrops?   Candle holders?   Hoof picks? Saw tooth trammels?  Mini froes for kindling splitting? What would they like and what are you good at?

Wait, aren't caltrops weapons?