I Forge Iron

My first bigger project

norman1990

So this is my first bigger project. So far i've been making knives for hobby, maybe about 3 in a year. Now i'm putting more time into my blacksmithing path and triyng to do more practical stuff and see if I have hand for it. For this mirror frame i was really pleased that the end product matched my initial drawings and I managed to put it together accuratly since it was a little tricky to measure out the overlappings. What I am not pleased with is how the rivets came out and the branches could have been a bit more symmetrical. It took about 30 hours in total.

DSC_0475.thumb.JPG.573854af3a64d3ac0b8c3b6241a39577.JPG

Hanging hooks

DSC_0474.thumb.JPG.2157513aaa16ab13b53f0f92af5a8ccd.JPG

Beautiful frame and hooks Norman. I say well done. As far as more symmetrical on the branches, I think they look great as is. I'm sure the rivets will be better on the next project but this one looks great and is very practical. Only thing I'd be mildly concerned about is if 2 screws would be enough to hold it. Not so much in regular wood but if it didn't space out to meet the studs in a house wall. 

Beautiful frame and hooks Norman. I say well done. As far as more symmetrical on the branches, I think they look great as is. I'm sure the rivets will be better on the next project but this one looks great and is very practical. Only thing I'd be mildly concerned about is if 2 screws would be enough to hold it. Not so much in regular wood but if it didn't space out to meet the studs in a house wall. 

Actually I made a third hook for the bottom because the mirror ha anged in air away from the wall. The third one supports the bottom of the frame and keeps it from swinging. Also they have some play room. 

Looks great.  My own personal opinion, leaves/branches/"nature"  should not look symmetrical.  That way it has the wild and natural look to it.

The only thing I would have done different is curl the stems in behind the frame to make it look like the branches are growing from something.  Instead of looking like branches cut off a tree and stuck on the face of the frame.

Nice work.

Very nice Norman: Branches, leaves and such shouldn't be symmetrical, even opposing symmetrical leaves like Mtn. Ash aren't terribly symmetrical. Your's are beautiful, well done.

Ah, you're missing the whole point of abbreviating blacksmithing BS! If ANYBODY noticed and were so gosh as to SAY anything you use the opportunity to make them feel like an out of touch bumpkin by describing how much practice and time it took to produce rivets just like THAT. <SHEESH some people> :rolleyes: Truth is we're our own worst critics, if not we wouldn't be doing work worth the doing.

Rivet sets aren't hard to make. Round heads are nice for shaping after it's headed.

Well done all round, you get a FROSTY star!

Frosty The Lucky.

IFI member @Joel OF has some great videos about the hot riveting on his Art Nouveau gate project, such as this one:

Ooh I'm glad someone enjoyed them.

You could drill out & redo the rivets if they really bother you.

I had some great advice Re: symmetry a while ago from a master blacksmith - things can look symmetrical without every detail needing to be a mirror image or repeated, e.g trees. Many trees look symmetrical, but if you look at their branches they're anything but.

It's now a design "trick" I use reguarly in things like gates, having small variations either side keeps things visually fresh whilst still appearing even. Pure symmetry can be visually stale quite quickly IMHO as your eye easily reads the image as there's no variation.

Joel has the right idea!  In my own work I strive for what I refer to as "dynamic symmetry"!  The more complex the relationships between the parts are, the longer it will hold a viewers interest!  Simple, literal symmetry is too sterile to elicit optimal interest from viewers.  An example might be rivets headed in tree shapes... or leaf shapes, but with each tree or leaf either slightly different or of a different species.  This is symmetry, but with dynamic and lively variations!  I like your work!

I like it too, and agree with the above comments about symmetry. And I wouldn't be bothered about the rivets either - if they are set tight and holding well they are fine.

The leaf hooks are great too. Nice items on their own.

"I was really pleased that the end product matched my initial drawings"  -  That alone is quite a feat. Mine never quite do.

I agree with the comments on symmetry. While near perfect symmetry can be a technical achievement, IMO it's not as interesting as asymmetry, or "dynamic symmetry" (asymmetry with balance).

Any suggestions on where to buy rivets in bulk?

I have a need for more than the 1 or 2 to make out of 3/16 round stock.....

maybe 1-200??

I've done the obligitory google search.....

thanks in advance

You might try these folks, I've bought from them before.

http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/store/c/52-Rivets.aspx