I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without questions, may I suggest that you fire up the bottom blast lawn mower deck forge with a brake rotor in your photos, using your solid fuel of choice, and then tell us how it worked for you. Photos will go a long way in understanding what you are doing and how the forge is working.

Thank you for your patience in this discussion. 

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Ryan, before you fire up the forge, you're going to need something to reduce the size of the hole in the middle of the rotor. You don't need much: just something to keep the fuel from falling down. For example, look at the second picture in THIS POST or the fourth photo in THIS ONE. Even a piece of heavy plate with a couple of slots torched in it would be better than what you've got. (Also, slots are better than holes, because you can clean them by sticking in the point of a poker and running it back and forth.)

14 hours ago, ryancrowe92 said:

yeah I thought about using some bolts to do it 

You mean the bolts you don't have to bolt the pipe to the rotor?  :)

And yes, vinegar will remove the zinc coating from galvanized objects.  However, I don't think vinegar will remove chrome coating.  Just make sure you know what you have before you get started.  You're so close now.  We'd hate to see you get sick right off the bat.

1 hour ago, ryancrowe92 said:

I have old rusty bolts with no nuts

All joking aside, rusty is better here anyway.  If the bolts are rusty you know they aren't coated with something that will make you sick when they get hot.  If you have taps you can make your own threads, but a couple dollars should get you enough appropriate nuts at your local hardware store.  If those are galvanized then you'll want to soak them in some vinegar for a few hours to remove the zinc if they will be close to the fire.

hey guys know it has been a while so here we go.

well the forge has worked better than any thing i have built but i have a slight problem you know the thing that keeps the ashes in and the coals in well it kinda melted.

1/4 inch and melted it had holes drilled in it in a ribbon burner pattern. i have to blow torch it out.

but the forge worked 100%  little problems other than the pipe getting clogged up so i got to figure something for that might have to get a caulk tube of that refractory cement

but i got good heats on the rebar and have to run down on the bar a little bit more then i can begin the bending.

also coal didnt come

40 minutes ago, ryancrowe92 said:

I use a 1/4 inch piece of angle iron drilled a bunch of holes and now I have to make it fit 

Well if you sketched or got a picture of this to explain what you meant by it, and how you installed it, we probably would know why it burned up. 

No idea what you are talking about with the " ribbon burner pattern". 

Working 100% must mean something different to me. Lol. 

Got pictures?

Thanks for the update; sounds like things are moving in the right direction. 

39 minutes ago, ryancrowe92 said:

you know the thing that keeps the ashes in and the coals in well it kinda melted.

1/4 inch and melted it had holes drilled in it in a ribbon burner pattern

Well, there’s your problem: TOO THIN and TOO MANY HOLES.

Remember, all other things being equal, MORE AIR = MORE HEAT. For a forge this size, you don’t need more than a single 3/4” hole or four 3/16” holes. Any more than that, and the fire gets too hot. With such a thin plate, there’s not enough mass to prevent overheating and burning out. 

The solution is simple: either replace your grate with a couple of heavy bolts welded across, or get a thicker plate (3/8” or more) with hole(s) as described above. 

I have used a grate of less then 1/4" for over 3 years without it burning up. Holes in mine are half inch and 3/8". It will need changed out eventually ( and is getting close to that point)  but if it was done right right it sure shouldn't burn up in a few days. Which tells me something wasn't done right ( and there are many right ways to do it.) 

image.jpg

Das, You are also burning soft cold, while Ryan is burning anthracite. That might be making a difference. Furthermore, you have the speed control on your blower to regulate the blast quite delicately, but I don’t remember what Ryan is using right now