I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

Follow the instructions on the JABOD or the Side Blast 55 Forge. 

I used the Side Blast 55 Forge for over a year and could not see any damage to the sch 40 pipe used as an air inlet. This was HEAVY use much of the time at welding heat.

The original 55 forge (bottom blast) did erode the end of the air pipe after a couple of years. That pipe was standard, used and thrown into the dumpster, auto exhaust pipe . Even then the damage was only about 1 inch erosion to the thin wall tubing, and fixed by drilling a new hole in the auto exhaust pipe to hold the grate. Elapsed time was how ever ling it takes to drill a 1/4 inch hole. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I suppose it would be time to actually read the instructions on how to build a BOX of Dirt Forge or the Side Blast 55 Forge. This is a critical component in building your mower deck forge.

Hint A site search for JABOD has 167 results. I did not search for the 55 Forge (side blast version).

i got the forge ready to go but my brother being on his side of the family and don't get side tracked. i have to pick him up Friday which puts back everything by a day and if the coal doesn't come when i call well were back to throwing wood in the barrel and making charcoal.

This is where things start to get confusing. We were talking about the JABOD and the side blast 55 forge.  My questions as to pipe size, schedule, and length, were in reference to those forges.

Your photos and current project is a bottom blast lawn mower deck forge with a brake rotor.  Please specify which forge you got ready, JABOD or the bottom blast lawn mower deck forge with a brake rotor. 

By my count, we have gone from 2 forges using coal (understood but not specified) to 3 forges and 2 types of fuels, and then to making charcoal from wood. 

We must stay on ONLY ONE topic at a time. Please specify which forge you want to discuss AND what fuel is being used for that forge.

To be specific, is the rotor forge you mention the same as the  bottom blast lawn mower deck forge with a brake rotor?

Do you know if the bottom blast lawn mower deck forge with a brake rotor can be used equally well with either wood charcoal or coal as fuels?  Or is there some sort of modifications involved when changing fuels? 

The answer should be 

1) Yes, you wish to discuss the  bottom blast lawn mower deck forge with a brake rotor in your photos.

2) No, you wish to discuss another type or style forge. 

Please answer by indicating the number of your choice. Once this is established, we can proceed.