I Forge Iron

Guitar string Damascus?

Will W.

What if you took a piece of 15n20 flat stock and laid down a layer of strings on that running lengthwise. Run a weld to hold the strings to the flat stock on each end. Close that in with another piece of 15n20 and tack weld in place. Then do another layer the same then forge weld that billet. If you ground the bevels after you should have a 15n20 flat and edge and in the middle of the bevel you should expose the lines of the strings. I'm not sure how many strings that would take in comparison. Maybe fully weld the edges before to keep air out like folks do with stainless forge welds to compensate for the fact you wouldn't be able to get flux in there well.

JHCC 

Thanks for the link. Loving the idea about making it look like frets too!

Buzzkill

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it further. I'm hoping by using so many tiny strings, the pattern will looks like dozens of strings all over the blade, similar to what you describe. And hopefully then people can determine what it was originally. 

Smoggy

I know the thicker strings (6th, 5th, and 4th) are often nickel wound. Not sure about the alloy of the core, however. 

Lanternnate

Interesting thought. I bet it would look interesting in the end. Thanks for the reply. 

Awesome ideas all the way around, everyone! I came in wondering about one project, and now I have several more I want to try! Lol. 

Ask one question and get answers from blacksmiths from all over the world to start throwing ideas into the mix. Then it starts to reverberate with ideas creating more ideas, etc.

This is IForgeIron at it's best.

Yes, you can get all kinds of powdered metal alloys, look at torch spray powders. I have a 1lb. bottle of Stellite I've been wondering what to do with, it's high nickle content. 

How much does a roll of guitar wire from Grainger weigh? That'll tell you how many knife blades are on a spool. What other alloys are there?

Frosty The Lucky.

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

How much does a roll of guitar wire from Grainger weigh? That'll tell you how many knife blades are on a spool. What other alloys are there?

All of their music wire spools seem to hover right around 1 pound. And they state that all of them are 1085 steel. The only variable seems to be the wire gauge. 

This means you'll get more linear feet out of smaller gauges. From their website:

.045 (10mm) wire: 185 ft/lb

.020 (5mm) wire: 937 ft/lb

Significant difference indeed. 

On 7/12/2017 at 7:20 AM, Will W. said:

I wonder if other manufacturers use different steels. The weight will determine how many blades you can make if you control oxidization and decarb. That's a pick a technique matter. The finer the wire the more susceptible it'll be of course, still.

It'd be fun to experiment with different ways to wrap wire and the resulting patterns. How about winding it around a piece of small dia. nickle rod like you were making an electro magnet? Perhaps a bundle of different rods? Wind different alloy wires? 

Cool to think about, too bad I'm not a bladesmith guy. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

On 7/12/2017 at 12:30 PM, Frosty said:

I wonder if other manufacturers use different steels.

I would like to try to find another alloy wire as well. If every wire was 1085, the pattern would be lackluster compared to what it could be. After all the inspiration I've been given here, I plan on doing a few different wraps to play with the pattern, like you mention. I like the nickel rod idea as well. Thanks for even more ideas, Frosty!

On 7/12/2017 at 12:30 PM, Frosty said:

Cool to think about, too bad I'm not a bladesmith guy. :)

Come to the dark side!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/10/2017 at 7:08 PM, Glenn said:

Ask one question and get answers from blacksmiths from all over the world to start throwing ideas into the mix. Then it starts to reverberate with ideas creating more ideas, etc.

This is IForgeIron at it's best.

To quote my quote I submitted in the thread about quotes:

Ask 10 blacksmiths how to do something and you'll get 12 different answers.

15 hours ago, mikej said:

The weight of the wire is the "breaking" weight isn't it? can you estimate how many blades can be made from that?

Coiled or spooled wire is often sold by weight.  In that case the estimated feet per pound (or metric equivalent) are usually listed as well.  Regardless, if you have either the actual weight of the wire or the combination of the length and diameter of the wire you should be able to reasonably estimate the total volume of the steel before welding.  At my low skill level with forge welding I'd want starting stock at least triple that of my projected finished blade weight.

1 hour ago, Buzzkill said:

if you have either the actual weight of the wire [...] you should be able to reasonably estimate the total volume of the steel before welding.  

Divide the weight in pounds by .283 to get the volume in cubic inches.