I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil stands

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually 3 4x12s. It clamps real tight and I could hear them crunching as I tighted them up.  Works much better than the the ratchet strap I was using.

This was the first time I used my post vice to forge with, bent the corners then cleaned them up on the anvil, very fun to do, love my new hobby!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeppers,,,and a nice size bag of shavings for aroma satchels,,I don't let much go to waste around here,,cedar is a fav. to burn in stove during the holidays and throw a couple pieces on the fire pit for the nice colors it puts out, 

IMG_20180305_144749540.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/27/2017 at 5:18 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

Nice stand,, I like the anvil also.  Good job on the horn..  Are the timbers through drilled and bolted also?  Is the anvil glued down? 

I didn't glue the anvil down.

I did bolt it to the stand.

Is gluing the normal thing to do?

I gun blued the anvil and added a heavier chain, for weight & sound.

Has more of a dead sound vs a ring now.

IMG_6999.JPG

IMG_7002.JPG

IMG_6998.JPG

I don't know of anybody actually gluing an anvil down though some do bed the in silicon calking to help deaden the ring. I guess that might be gluing it down. I think screwing or bolting your's down should work nicely.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

I've returned to this thread for inspiration while dressing the surfaces of my new (1st actual / legit ) Anvil.

While I'm anxious I am also wanting a stand that's visually interesting as well as fully functional .

Im a woodworker & sign carver (by hobby)

the blacksmithing aspect is for the purpose of not having to buy / order items I want . Rather I would be able to make what I need for a project , drawer pulls , cabinet door handles, gate hinges, curtain hold backs (the wife has her lists)  vs buying / ordering stock Chinese made crap and adjusting my designs to fit the purportions of what's available.

also I'd like to become proficient in making sign brackets for the signs I carve vs buying bland black painted stuff.

So that's what's brought me to the dark side !

I'll admit to being sucked in to the historical aspect of this form of production .

Much like carving, Blacksmithing is still so hands on & skill heavy that it calls to the creative person like a siren from Homers Odessey.

I'm in, the bug has bitten. 

I feel like an info sponge, "Feed me Seymour" !

***the surface restoration begins & the horns is there***

IMG_8802.JPG

Well, I guess interesting to a wood carver lets my welded steel tripod anvil stand out eh? 

Carved cathedral anvil fashion would look nice. As a practical suggestion: if you cup the underside it will be much more stable than flat. A tripod is always stable, if the floor is level enough it doesn't tip over of course. 

A wood stand will make the anvil louder but there are any number of ways to damp the ring.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am a new member here, still getting everything together to start forging.

Yesterday I started in on an anvil stand, its going to look pretty much like your's.  I bought 4 pressure treated 4x4x10 posts and cut them to get my anvil height up to 35" (I am 6'4").  

I used construction adhesive and straps to hold it all together for the glue to dry over night.  Today I used flat stock, screws and a little welding to band it all together.  A bit of sanding and two coats of Danish oil and here's how it looks.  

I specifically built this for an anvil I am picking up tomorrow, a JHM Sharper 160 lb. anvil.

anvil stand  01.jpg

That'll work CJ. It's generally better to screw the banding together and not screw it to the blocks, this allows you to tighten or loosen the band as necessary. I like heating the bands in the oven and welding the join so it shrinks around the stand. However I used heavier steel to band the couple blocks I've done that to or wet weather will cause the bands to break as the block expands. 

When you quote a post please do NOT include all the photos. Iforge has members all around the world, many are on dial up and paying for bandwidth. Repeating the pictures from the previous post is a huge waste of bandwidth. I expect Admin will be doing some editing shortly make a habit of it and you might find yourself moderated. 

If you just highlight the part of a previous post you want to reference a tag will appear asking if you want to quote this. Click on it and it'll appear in the text window at the cursor. 

Frosty The Lucky.