I Forge Iron

Fabricated anvil stand for 368 HB

I wanted a stand that would offer maxium stability while at the same time offering flotation on softer footing.. I had a design change and is when I made it into the blackwidow.. 

it has accesory shoes for additions like a foot hammer, tong rack, extra stakes basically a 2" receiver  with lock down bolts.. 

The part that touches the ground is concave so it only touches on the outer edge all the way around.. 

it is height adjustable by slipping in wood or steel plates depending on what a person has an hand.. 

20160412_181806.jpg

20160413_143304.jpg

20160414_175033.jpg

20160415_190714.jpg

ARKive image GES068966 - Black widow spider.jpg

20160416_142215.jpg

20160416_150248.jpg

20160416_155239.jpg

20160416_155831.jpg

20160418_155832.jpg

20160418_160321.jpg

Anything..  I haven't made any accessories yet, but basically it's limitless as the 2" square stock just slides in so if you need a 3rd hand, or a foot hammer or a vise or tool tray.. you just put the 2" square in and build  what ever it is you need  on it.. the combined weight of the stand and anvil is nearly 700lbs..  The other thing is out riggers..  with pressure feet.. for doing large bends  or large bending work in a fork.. 

Also if need be a wheel kit so it can be moved around the shop..  Really its open to imagination and fabrication skills.. Once the shop is up I'll do more accessories for it as then I'll have more room and time..   :) 

Oh MY! Gad to see you didn't get carried away Jennifer it could've gotten out of hand. :)

Black widow is a good name I like the hour glass base. I don't know if it's an improvement or not but I like the style.

Matto, there aren't 4 receiver tubes on the stand, I count 10 of them, 4 up just below the anvil and 6 just above the foot. If at least one accessory isn't a cup holder I'm going to have to drop Jennifer's style score a point.

It is one WICKED COOL anvil stand. Well done, VERY.

Frosty The Lucky.

9 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

The 2" receivers are a great idea! Really well done.

How many pounds of rod did you burn building that? Not a bad thing but there are a ton of welds!

Thanks.. Well I use MIG (500amp with push pull on it) so I can't really say.. I would guess maybe a half of 0.035  33lbs spool..  With wirefeeder it goes pretty fast I think this was built in just about 4 days of part time work. Maybe 5hrs a day.. .. I'm pretty well setup on the fabrication stand point.. Still a few places to finish but I wanted it so water would be able to evaporate so there is a space on the bottom of each side..  This will get filled at some point and I will more than likely completely fill in the bottom of the black widow center part.. 

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Oh MY! Gad to see you didn't get carried away Jennifer it could've gotten out of hand. :)

Black widow is a good name I like the hour glass base. I don't know if it's an improvement or not but I like the style.

Matto, there aren't 4 receiver tubes on the stand, I count 10 of them, 4 up just below the anvil and 6 just above the foot. If at least one accessory isn't a cup holder I'm going to have to drop Jennifer's style score a point.

It is one WICKED COOL anvil stand. Well done, VERY.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty...     LOL..    Ah,, by now I imagine you are seeing a pattern start to develop/ emerge .. ;)   The black widow bottom came about as I had just made it so the anvil would sit on it.. 

I went to stand in forging position and my toes and boot hit the C channel and it reminded me of just how much I used to dislike banging my feet in the anvil block (my original one in the shop was tapered wood) so before going any further I made the modification..   I used scrap I had on hand from other projects.. 

Can't wait to get it into the shop so I can actually use it.. I've done a few trial runs with bigger stock working out the back of the trailer but once I get the shop up will be a nice center piece.. 

Thanks for the compliments..   

Scrambler, take some doughnuts to a body shop and ask them to save you some if they get any. We replace them when the get bent in an accident. Usually even if it's slight since it's a liability issue. Ask around you may get some free or for a box of doughnuts. We like doughnuts :) 

16 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Anything..  I haven't made any accessories yet, but basically it's limitless as the 2" square stock just slides in so if you need a 3rd hand, or a foot hammer or a vise or tool tray.. you just put the 2" square in and build  what ever it is you need  on it.. the combined weight of the stand and anvil is nearly 700lbs..  The other thing is out riggers..  with pressure feet.. for doing large bends  or large bending work in a fork.. 

So JLP, I have finally had the chance to parse this thread - most impressive.

Very nice to see you have weighed your work with (is that a steelyard?)

Also, before internet access came to my corner of the world, I built a modular half-ton crane wagon based upon those square tube goezintas (as named by Thomas, or Frosty?), so I will be expecting royalties.........:rolleyes:

Seriously though, very inspiring modular design. So much more than just an anvil stand - the Black Widow Multi-Tool.

Robert Taylor

8 hours ago, Daswulf said:

That's one wicked anvil stand JLP. Really like the hand forged I bolt hold down. Thanks for showing it. 

Thanks.. I know its said time and time again that large anvils over 300lbs werent usually bolted down. But I really like the anvil mounted to the base solidly..  this was a proto type design and really loved the way it came out and looked.. It is really solid and I can add blocks up to about 3" before the bolts run out of threads.. At some point I'll have to make another set with longer main bolts.. 

I used the basic design of this hold down system in the blacksmith trailer but simplified it with a straight 1/2 rod on each side threaded on the end.. This then goes through the middle tension bolt and then the end plates are put on..  This way its a lot easier to make as you only need 2 bolts with eyes vs 6.. Of course it lacks the really neat vintage look but it works very well..  

I've included pictures of the 2 designs side by side for reference.. 

8 hours ago, Scrambler82 said:

In all honesty... It looks like a piece of yard art my wife just went out and pay $$$$$ for !

I like it and the Receivers are a great idea, I am surprised more people haven't built them in to their stands; I added two to my welding table design just a week back, ordered them up from a local store, glad to see the idea in an Anvil Stand !   I will make a MIG Torch Holder to fit so I can move it end to end as needed.

Great work !

Does this mean I am the originator of something finally???   :)        

I ship nationally..  I'm having a spring sale on art deco type items.. Also some steam punk..    

Thanks..   I'm really surprised I haven't seen this before especially with all the fabricated stands now..   I did have a picture somewhere that I had a pintel hitch in one side and a ball in the other.. One of my friends asked where the wheels were.. :) 

5 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

So JLP, I have finally had the chance to parse this thread - most impressive.

Very nice to see you have weighed your work with (is that a steelyard?)

Also, before internet access came to my corner of the world, I built a modular half-ton crane wagon based upon those square tube goezintas (as named by Thomas, or Frosty?), so I will be expecting royalties.........:rolleyes:

Seriously though, very inspiring modular design. So much more than just an anvil stand - the Black Widow Multi-Tool.

Robert Taylor

Yes, thank you.. It is a Steelyard..  I have several.. One goes to 100lbs total and the other to 400lbs total the 400 runs 100lbs on the fine side and 400lbs on the quarter weight..  Then a few smaller ones.. Super handy.. I'd love to find one in the 1000lbs range or a model/drawings with measurements.. Be really neat to have.. 

Well that was a wagon but in this case who came up with the design first.  Goezintas and who has more goezintas mine or yours.. LOL>.   thats cute.. 

Have any pictures of the wagon? Love to see it. . 

20160818_135419.jpg

20160421_151058.jpg

Gozinta is a term coined by an old friend of mine, Lee Marshal. He built his shop with 2 1/2" round pipe "long couplers" set flush with the floor to receive tools, equipment, etc. He simply screwed his tool bases, etc. into the gozinta with a jam ring to lock it in position. The system has a lot going for it but buying enough long pipe couplers to make the gozinta grid in my shop would've been more expensive than the shop building. 

On a visit to Alaska he and I were talking about how I wanted to install a 24" OC grid of 2" sq. receiver tubing in my future shop floor and connect them to a sub floor exhaust system. Only the receiver pipes in the row inside his roll up doors were connected to an exhaust blower. He kept referring to them as gozintas then and soon everybody on the old Artmetal.list was,  the term stuck.

I use the heck out of telescoping sq. tubing, all but my newest and maybe failed forge have telescoping helpers to support long stock and tongs. 

I never thought of asking for scrapped receiver tubes at a body shop. I can't afford to buy real receiver tubing for gozintas but ones removed from bent vehicles for a box of donuts or nice card holder for the secretary would be sweet. Great idea Das, thank you!

4 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

LOL.. :)

Does this mean I don't get credit for being the originator????  

No, they've been used for a long LONG time but you do get credit for Being an original. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.