I Forge Iron

Source for quality flap disks

Getting low on the flap disk supply I have, so getting ready to buy some more.  I got a bunch at an auction a number of years ago, and they had no name, but work well.  Searched the site and only found some references from 2012 and 2015.  So, here's my question.  Who makes the best flap discs and what's the best source for them?

Kimball Midwest. Columbus Ohio 

Yes, I'm aware they cost four times what dewalt and major harware stores charge. But they are like Baskin Robbins.  A huge selection of materials to choose from. I believe they now have diamond.  In all abrasives. 

Honestly I grab them wherever is closest when I need em. Like Judson said, you get what you pay for. Buying in bulk will be cheaper.  

I guess I use dewalt and HF discs the most. Easiest for me to grab when I'm out. 3m and Norton are good brands in my opinion.  But they all work. 

12 minutes ago, Donniev said:

cutting discs are about$60-$70 for a 25 pack

That's about four times as expensive as the HF cutting discs -- do they really last at least four times as long?

IDK about HF since I've never used em, but they last 2-3 times longer than anything else I've bought. That price is buying it off eBay or some such site, I use the discount my employer gets buying in bulk so it costs me $50 for a 25 pack. 

Maybe someone thinking about trying out the Walter can find 1 or 2 singles just to see what they think 

This is just my opinion

Edit: I'm basing this off of when cutting tons of 6" pipe during demo phase in a job. A Walter disc would make 1 cut, and about half of the next. We had to use Menards discs for a day, it typically took 3 discs to get 1 cut...

I just use inexpensive ones purchased from Amazon: 4-1/2" Auto Body Sanding Flap Discs 80 Grit

Even if the expensive ones last twice as long, they cost close to 4 times as much.  It is cheaper in terms of hours of grinding per dollar, to buy this type of flap wheel.

Flex o vit.

they make the best double stacked flap disk i have ever used. i usually pay 4.75-5.50 a piece. cheapest ain't the most cost effective this disc last 2.5-3 times longer then the sait disks i use to use they were only 2.99..... but a smart person figures out that its not the better value. Be Careful when hunting down a cheap anything......... cause it just may not put any meat in the freezer. 

Norton & Sait wheels are what i prefer. I've tried the PFerd wheels/disks from my other local welding supply and the cut off disks just dont seem to work right. They last longer, but they feel and smell like you are burning metal as opposed to cutting it. They do not cut well after about 10 min. 

Now PFerd does make a hybrid type flap disk that is more aggressive than a typical sander/flap disk. I love em, they are a good inbetween of an actual grinding wheel and a 80grit flap disk. Good for fast material removal without the big gouges from a regular grinding wheel.