I Forge Iron

Goss Turtle Table - Originally Bought to be a welding table

I originally posted this on Facebook in the Blacksmith for Beginners site looking for information on this heavy steel table.  Someone took offense to the post and deleted it.

SO:  Who on here knows anything about Type Setting tables (turtle Tables)?  I originally bought this table in horribly rusted shape from a picker thinking i could use it as a welding table.  Upon further investigation and cleaning this thing is really NICE!  I figured out searching the ole interweb that this is an Industrial turtle table, used for transporting type set pages from setting table to printing press.  

Weight 300 lbs, 24 x 30 x 1.25 inch top, 36 inch height.  Top is machined to an almost mirror finish.  The legs are all adjustable and everything is built like a TANK.

Does anyone here know anything about these industrial turtle tables?  Thank you in advance.

Kevin K.

IMG_3479.JPG

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3466.JPG

IMG_3467.JPG

IMG_3473.JPG

That is a very nice turtle.

They are pretty much obsolete in the printing industry now, at least as far as the original purpose. a great many printers still have them as utility tables because they are built like tanks. I think that there is a good deal of value to these as far as collectors go.

Nice pick up.

27 minutes ago, Kevin A King said:

I have no idea what the administrators for Blacksmith FOR Beginners on FB found offensive.

Maybe that you've got THREE anvils in the background that obviously aren't being used -- that's obscene!

;)

11 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Maybe that you've got THREE anvils in the background that obviously aren't being used -- that's obscene!

;)

The photo above, the little hay budden in the front is 84 lbs.  It is my leather work, riveting, small work, copper, brass, tin and jewelry work anvil.  The other 2  are works in progress and will eventually be put into production.  See photos below, I have 2anvils that get used weekly.    All kidding aside - thank you guys for your input.  MAybe you are right JHCC, maybe that is what Blacksmith for Beginners on FB found offensive.

avnil.jpg

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2970.JPG

Welcome to the site. 

That is a nice table and could have many uses. You may want to put some plywood on the top of the table  to protect the surface from damage. Oil the top first to prevent rest. A piece of metal on top of the plywood will do for metal work.  If you place the metal cover directly on the table top you run the risk of the welding arc jumping from the welding surface to the table and pitting the surface.

• 1 year later...

That's why the outraged response Kevin, all those anvils in the background and you posted on a BEGINNER'S blacksmith FB age! Shame on you, you're obviously a curmudgeon trolling for some newbie ideas to quash! If so you'll fit right in here.

Welcome aboard Kevin glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

Nice table I can think of a lot of useful things to do with it BEFORE I have that juicy flat surface completely covered in . . . stuff. If it is actually FLAT it'd make a decent surface plate, I could finally make use of some of the instrumentation Dad gave me. 

21 hours ago, Bruner Publishing said:

I am closing an old print shop. I have 5 of these turtles

And a hearty welcome aboard to you too. Ditto putting your general location in the header for the all the same reasons. If you live in the Mat Su Valley, or Anchorage, give me a shout I'd be interested in one if the price is reasonable enough. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 8/11/2018 at 6:51 PM, Frosty said:

BEFORE I have that juicy flat surface completely covered in . . . stuff.

Who of us here, doesn't suffer from "flat surface syndrome".B) My first job out of the service in '68 was at a print shop, where I had to keep the Linotype machines supplied with ingots and roll one of those monster tables around to the presses with typeset.

Hello All!  I haven't been on IFORGEIRON for a while Guys.  I appreciate the comments to this post.  I have managed to pick 3 of these tables.  2 are really nice and one had rotted legs that I cut down to a low table.  they all 3 are quite nice - Not for sale and will likely stay with me.

• 2 years later...

I also have this table it came from the News Press in Fort Myers Florida used in the type setting room to move cold type from work station to press. If anyone may know of someone interested in purchasing this table please contact me   Remove email per TOS For sale items use Tailgating Section.

Edited by Mod30
Remove email

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I also picked up a Goss Turtle Table at a yard sale a couple weeks ago not knowing what it was. Just like the OP I figured it’d make a great welding table for a limited space work area. After doing quite a bit of interweb searching I’m finding a very limited amount of information on these. Has anyone got a reference source or any updates on this posting? Thanks in advance. 

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. Don't have much info about the tables, other than they were used in the old print shops and news papers to move the cold type from the Linotype machines to the press room. Linotype is hard lead and very heavy, one of those tables was capable of moving  up to I think 500 pounds. I did a google search and found 2 auction sites listing them one for $3150 and the other $1645 U.S.

• 10 months later...

I just wanted to swing by and say thank you for the help and information shared on the Goss Turtle Table. I shared the story with a few people I know and some forums. That kinda lead to other shares and several offers. I wasn’t really wanting to sell it figuring I’d find a use for it until someone offered more than I could refuse. I sent it to the new owner last weekend after accepting $3,350.  Thank you guys again for your help!