I Forge Iron

My first post vice

paradox1559

Good Morning, Para-Docks

It looks like you have to make a wedge, to hold the upper post to the Bracket. The Spring is 180 degrees out, the top gets clamped in when you drive the wedge in and the bottom of the Springs leans against the outer (short) post. I use an old automotive "Throw-Out Bearing" at the Thrust Washer, It makes them easier to Tighten and Loosen.

just my $0.02

Neil

Height depends on how you will be using it.  Since you are asking us to determine that:  Please box it up and ship it to me.  There problem solved!

With your extra height you will probably want to put an extension on the foot holder.  If you will mainly be using it to file on, grab a file and get in position and measure the distance from the file to the floor.  For needle file work you may even want to mount it higher so you can sit in front of it and file.

For heavy hammering using top tools then it may be low enough for you as it comes.

Perhaps you can experiment with it to find the height that works best for *YOU*.

At the risk of being burned for heresy I'll admit I put an extension on the leg of my vise. I am 6"2 and work with several vises that are set on the ground and find them too low. I think there ended up being a 4" lift from the very bottom of the post due to a miscommunication with the fabricator, I am very glad for the extra height but do wish it was just a hair less. I also have another vise I will mount without an extension at some point, and i took that into account before messing with the height. Being too low is just mildly annoying especially when it comes to operating that handle, too high however can make it almost unusable.

Good Morning Para-Docks

Picture a straight piece of 1/2" Flat Bar with the ends bent 1/2" back like a large "U". The ends stop the two tails of the bracket from spreading out, when you drive the wedges in. Take a piece of Flat Bar not as wide as the opening remaining, cut it at an angle, You now have two perfectly matching Wedges to fill the void. One goes in from the Left, the other from the Right. K.I.S.S.

Neil

Here you go.. The ears go towards the mounting bracket and the wedge goes closest to the vise.  Make sure your ears are plenty strong.. Especially on an 8" vise.. 

Nice find and good price.. Would like to see more pictures.. Maybe some detail shots of the screw, jaws, etc, etc.. 

20161102_071129.jpg

looks like you need a new bolt?   Is the bolt hole tapered?